All Topics / Help Needed! / best mortgage

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of write2cathywrite2cathy
    @write2cathy

hi guys,
    I am quite new to the property investing, and would definitely apprecipate some insights and opinions.

I have been reading lots of books and magazines related to property investing. It has been quite confusing looking at all the different type of home loans and mortgages.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? or the best lenders out there?

I have heard that setting up a line of credit is quite useful and flexible, but it needs to be carefully managed. is that correct?

greatly appreciated
    Cathy[biggrin]

Profile photo of freeman cooperfreeman cooper
    @freeman-cooper

Hi Cathy,
    I am currently refinancing with a company with property investing experience. The CEO has 40 investment properties and gives sound inteligent advice as well as providing finance all over Australia.
    Deatils are:
    Ranges Finance
    Alan Lee (CEO)
    42c Aitken St Gisbourne 3437 vic
    PH: 1300 785 281
    http://www.rangeshomeloans.com.au

Regards
    Frank

Profile photo of paulmeesepaulmeese
    @paulmeese

Hi Cathy

Thats a fairly open question and you could get many a varied response,maybe if you defined your question down to a scenerio of sorts you might acheive what your after.

There is no best lender as it depends what best suits you

cheers

Paul

Paul Meese
    Onyx Finance
    [email protected]
    0412 850 820

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Cathy

There is no right or wrong answer. What might be what you are looking for in a home loan maybe totally different to what another clients requires.

Each loan product has certain features whether it be cost, interest rate, on going fees, features within the product, the variables go on and on.

All i would say any lender that is an origiantor or securitises their loan book such as the example given will be mortgage insuring their entire portfolio irrespective of the loan to value ratio. This could cause you problems down the track so beware.

List all the features you think you require and then get a mortgage broker to give you an idea of what is out there. Its a free service so you have nothing loose.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    New 100% Shared Equity scheme coming soon – Email us for details.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

@freeman-cooper

Hi Richard,
    I don;t know a whole lot about finance, but I would be worried if a finance company did not have insurance, can you please explain what the big proble with that is, under 80% the insurance cost isw less than $100.

Regards
    Frank

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by freeman cooper:

Hi Cathy,
    I am currently refinancing with a company with property investing experience. The CEO has 40 investment properties and gives sound inteligent advice as well as providing finance all over Australia.
    Deatils are:
    Ranges Finance
    Alan Lee (CEO)
    42c Aitken St Gisbourne 3437 vic
    PH: 1300 785 281
    http://www.rangeshomeloans.com.au

Regards
    Frank

Wow Frank – you didn’t even attempt to answer the question – just plugged your mate.

Keep it up and it will start to look like spamming.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@freeman-cooper

Hey Simon,

What are you talking about mate?

Participant
    @qlds007

Freeman

Are you serious when you state that you be worried if the lender did not have insurance.

The Company you are referrring to securitises all of its loans and is merely a manager or orginator of those funds.

A lender can raise funds by either receiving retail deposits such as the major banks or it can package up its loans and sell them off to a Super fund etc who then becomes the owner of the debt.

The reason why the loans are insured is not for your or the managers benefit is is a requirement of the end buyer of the note.

The loan is insured if you borrow 30% or 95% it does not matter.

The BIG Downside for an investor is that there is a limit to how much one mortgage insurer whats to carry in the way of debt. You may find that you have the serviceability to keep buying more properties but the Mortgage Insurer will not provide anymore cover.

Do you think that CBA / NAB / Anz / Wpac insure all of the loans of course they dont.

As i say your mate maybe paying you a referral fee for every deal you pass onto him but please be accurate when you are marketing his services to other forum members.

Securitised loans have a place in the market but are certainly not recommended by most Professional MB’s who have their clients interest at heart.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]
    New 100% Shared Equity scheme coming soon – Email us for details.

Profile photo of daciumdacium
    @dacium

Don’t be fooled by all these people claiming ‘no right or wrong answer’ or some such rubbish.

The right answer is always the LOWEST interest right with low escape fees. The best right now is clearly http://www.ratebusters.com.au. The variable rate is just 6.92%. on a $300k loan that is $50 PER WEEK cheaper than ANZ and other big banks who are at 8% or more. Don’t be fooled by all the crap out there, interest rate is what really matters.

Participant
    @qlds007

dacium

Perhaps all the other lenders should look at closing down if ratebusters is going to take the lending market by storm.

Wonder if the Big 4 realise they might be out of business with all of these fancy features they offer.

Seriously mate think before you post like that.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]
    New Shared Equity scheme has arrived – Email us for details.

Profile photo of wayne10539wayne10539
    @wayne10539
    Originally posted by dacium:

Don’t be fooled by all these people claiming ‘no right or wrong answer’ or some such rubbish.

The right answer is always the LOWEST interest right with low escape fees. The best right now is clearly http://www.ratebusters.com.au. The variable rate is just 6.92%. on a $300k loan that is $50 PER WEEK cheaper than ANZ and other big banks who are at 8% or more. Don’t be fooled by all the crap out there, interest rate is what really matters.

I think you may find that the views of those quoting some of that apparent rubbish, are respected and valued forum contributors to all topics. They are just protecting the interests of those that may not have the knowledge or experiences in the subject.

Interest rates are also not the only solution to the right loan, depending on your individual circumstances, you some times may wish to use a loan that has higher interest rates but is more flexible in their lending criteria.

But that is only my 2 cents worth.

Wayne

“What is the lap record, and which way do i go?”

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you are only interested in buying one or two properties, and have a clean record, good employment etc then getting the cheapest rate may be the best option.

But if you are planning on buying a few more properties, then avoiding the securitised lenders will help later on.

And nobody gets the standard rates anymore. Most, if not all, of hte major banks offer professional packages with discounts of around 0.70% for loans over $250,000. This will bring the rate down to 7.37% which is still higher than the cheaper no frills lenders, but you can get some more features and flexibility which may help you end up borrowing more in the long run.

Depends on what you are after I guess.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

For those of you rushing out to sign up with the new loan take a quick look at the website extract.

Application fee – $585 for loans upto $150,000 thereafter 0.66% for loans upto $500K Not bad for a $499K loan the application fee is $3293.

Document Preparation Fee – $275

Valuation Fee – $220 Metro only

And guess what there is more

ALL loans mortgage insured irrespective of the loan amount. (Might like to check out the premiums)

And the early repayment fee only last for the first 5 years of upto 2% + a further $550.

It gets better $2 for an over the counter deposit.

Oh by the way they insist on Title insurance and it is only $121.

Yes the interest rate is definately the most important feature of any loan.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]

Profile photo of wayne10539wayne10539
    @wayne10539

Your serve Dacium!

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

A cheaper interest rate with no flexibility is not as good as a slightly more expensive rate with lots of flexibility. Saving a few grand per year on the interest now could cost 100’s of grand over your life time.

Also, the interest is tax deductible, so by the time you factor in tax claims the difference is 3/5th’s of not much and as Richard said; quite often the cheaper loans usually have high hidden fees.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

@dacium

I am not surprised by the responses here at all as I have heard this all before.

I used to sell ANZ loans, we were taught customer service and low fees are what people want, not low rates. Every time we were asked to match rates we were told to show all the features we had etc. and how easy it was to get out of the loan and trade later one etc. etc. We gave ‘professional’ discounts that really get adjusted back to the standard variable if you read the fine print after 4 RBA rate adjustments.

Yes the rate buster fees are high. But do any of you actually do the math? If you are going to hold the property for at least 5 years and avoid the exit fee than this loan is defaintly chaaper than the big banks. I can see how some investors might not be suitable for them, but if you are in any way looking at paying down a house the interest rate is the only thing you should be looking at.

6.92% interest:
    $300k @ 30 Years: $1980/month, $712,800, 137.6% Interest

7.36% interest:
    $300k @ 30 Years: $2,064/month, $743,040, 147.7% Interest

8.11% interest:
    $300k @ 30 Years: $2,215/month, $797,400, 165.8% Interest

So thats $41k saved if you get the pro. discount applied for all 30 years, and $80k saved if you don’t.

The weekly saving is $50 per week from 8.11 or $20 per week from 7.3The fees are about $3k more. So you only need to hold the loan for 1 year (8.11%) or 2.5ish years (7.3%) for it to have been the cheaper option.

This is the exact reason why rate busters will never explode and send the banks running. People see $5k in fees and crap their pants. Seriosuly the ratebusters even give you an atm card that is free to use at any atm and unlimited eftops, all tied to an offset account. Yet people won’t take it because they don’t think 0.5% PA makes a difference, when it makes a huge difference.

Participant
    @qlds007

Just out of curiousity how long have you worked for them ?

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]

Participant
    @qlds007

Just out of curiousity how long have you worked for them ?

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    [email protected]

@dacium

I don’t work for them :-)

I have however spent weeks going over every loan trying to find the best ones. A friend of mine who still works ANZ was trying to get me to take a loan with them. The best they could do for us (despite the fact that we are both professional earning $110k+) was 7.6% with 100% offset. They couldn’t even match virgin moneys 7.3% with 100% offest… what a joke.

I went to almost every ‘broker’ echoice aussie etc. etc. None were able to offer any loan with a 100% offeset account that had below 7.37% interest rate. Not one loan was better than virgin money one even after the ‘professional discounts’ were applied, they just cut the 8.1% rate to 7.4%. I only found two places that had below 7%, one was 6.99% but had no 100% offset, and the other was ratebusters at 6.92% but with steep application fees.

I can see why rate busters isn’t popular. It is because the average loan only lasts for 2 years, therefore people will probably not even stick with them and they probably make all there money this way by taking in the exit fees.

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Ahh….controversy! Just add my 14cents worth in point form…
    – Remember – Check the comparison rate! Introductory offers that capitalise interest and loans with high monthly fees will have higher ‘true rates’. – Paying for features such as an offset account or free redraw is useless if you are not going to use that feature, as it will cost you more than a low interest rate on a no frills loan. – Ongoing charges to ‘split’ , switch or fix loans….check them out too! – A loan with a higher interest rate can save you plenty over a basic loan with lower interest rate if some of the features are used correctly, such as an offset account or for a PPOR better still, direct salary crediting. – The choice of loans and cost incurred from most lenders are nearly always better than ‘the banks’ if under the $250k mark, once over that, with so called ‘pro-packages’ etc where an annual fee is paid in exchange for a discounted interest rate and no other fees and charges it becomes a much more level playing field. – And finally…..compare a basic loan, a full featured loan, a line of credit, and a construction loan from a variety of lenders, and I can guarantee you will not find a lender that offers the ‘best’ in every one of these areas. ‘Best’ is purely subjective to your individual requirements! [strum]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.