All Topics / Help Needed! / taxi plates?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of new investornew investor
    @new-investor

just last week i was looking at taxi plates in melb
    rang several brokers that the taxi associate gave me and most were saying u may find some at around 460k with averages at 406k but very hard to find at that price
    interestingly most brokers /investors had around 40 taxis that they own and run themselves

they said if u leased them out u would get $2100 per month

but do u guys think of this?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

work out the return. If you get 2100 per month, that equals $25,200 per year. That is a return of 5.47%.

Is this a good return? If you opened a ING savings account you would get more. But with the plates you may be able to borrow t o purchase, meaning less cash needed, making a higher yield, and there may also be capital gains too.

So it may depend on your views of the taxi industry. Is the demand for plates going to stay high? What happens if the Govt issues more plates etc.

Then compare this to property, where you might get a slightly lower rental yield, but property would possibly have a much brighter long term prospects.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi New Investor,

I know a bit about taxi plates because my brother co-authored a large report on the industry for the State Government a few years ago. Hios take on it is that there are a lot of changes that probably should be made in the industry, but it appears that not much will happen in the forseeable future.

Most people in the industry seem to think that the strong growth in price and revenue from plates is likely to continue. I think they usually return a better % rate that what you have stated by the way.

They seem a pretty good passive investment to me as they hacve a history of steady growth and are very low maintenance. Personally, I wouldn’t buy one, but many people hacve and have made good money from them.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of matrungmatrung
    @matrung

My father and I own a taxi license here in brisbane. The capital growth has been very steady and the leases are generally for 2 years with a constant stream of drivers ready to take over if needed. We purchased in a year ago for 350,000 now they are averaging around about 390,000 from what I understand.

steady growth + steady income = solid investment

plus there’s no bull<edited> property manager fees or constant “fix/repair” fees. just a $150 per year registration fee.

Be warned though, there are alot of taxi syndicates out there who are willing to pay a hefty premium on taxi licenses.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I have looked into it – the big spectre was always deregulation of the industry.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of RVPRVP
    @rvp

Forget about the taxi game ive looked into it while i was driving cabs and its too late to be getting invovled in the returns are low and i suggest its only for someone who wishes to buy themselves a job as a taxi driver and even then i suggest not buying plates just the vechicle and keeping the bests shifts for themselves. Anyway this is a road too take for people with little ambition and i sense that you desire something more in life and i wish you great luck in achieving it[grad]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Also you are limited to around a 70% lend.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    New Shared Equity scheme has arrived – Email us for details.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of rejoicerejoice
    @rejoice

How did the emergence of Lime Taxis affect things in Sydney?

Get 7 Free Lessons from the Teachers of “The Secret” http://rejoice.theofficialsecretseminar.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.