All Topics / Help Needed! / valuation-use equity-buy 1st property. Done this?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of daneyedaneye
    Participant
    @daneye

Hi all,
    I am waniting buy my first IP & want to get my home valued so I can use the equtiy.
    Are there any tips on how to go about it?
    Is an independant valuer better than a RE Agent?
    Is there a certain amount of equity you need before the banks will borrow you money?
    What kind of structure would I need? Who do i need to get involved?
    Many questions I have, but many wise & experianced investors like yourselves out there to help I hope!

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

Hi Daneye
    I have recently done all you are about to do. I found out from my bank when I wanted to know how much i could borrow to purchase our first IP that they valued our home at $250k. I thought that this was conservative and when I asked more about it the bank said that they just drive past the homes and place an estimate on the value themselves (probably in conjunction with council notice). I decided that it was in my best interests to get a qualified valuer to do an independant valuation on our property. It cost $330 but his valuation report came in at $315k which is enough extra equity to buy another property so I felt that the $330 was worth it. The reports was supported by recent sales in my area and compared these properties to my own. It also had a section in the report as to what the expected rental would be on my property (this was blank as they weren’t asked to include that info for a PPOR).
    I would find it hard to trust the valuation of an REA, they have a vested interest in it no matter what the reason for the valuation. I recently looked at a home on the market for $192k + in my local city on 1100mt sq. The home is old and original and the REA told me that it was on the market for ‘roughly’ land value. I was aware of the land value as my parents lived in the very next street and I had asked mum what the council valued her land at; there was $50k difference although mums land area was slightly smaller. You have to get someone independant. If I decide to make an offer on this property it will still only be after I get an independant valuation done on it. The banks, vendors, REA’s and your own peace of mind can’t argue with them. I just consider it part of my due diligence.

Julie Fisher
    Daryl Fisher Homes

@jfisher

Oops, I forgot! Regarding the financial arrangements. I just had Qlds007 from this forum sort out all my accounts, loans etc. He was great and it was no problem being so far away. There are a few mortgage brokers on this forum who all offer fantastic advice. I would definately recommend going through a broker I saved between 0.6 and 0.7% on my interest.

Julie

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Lenders will not accept your valuations, they must order them. So it is best to get a rough idea from agents etc, and then ask your bank for an increase (or separate loan). It is best to have a separate account for the increase, for tax reasons. maybe a LOC, depending on the rate etc. Generally you can access up to 90% of the value, so work out what the place is worth, then estimate 90%, minus your existing loan and that is the extra equity you could get your hands on – if you have enough income etc.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@jfisher

Sorry Terry but that musn’t always be the case. My bank (one of the big 4) accepted my independant valuation both through the broker and also when I took it into my own local branch; it was actually much easier when I took it into my bank manager…never questioned at all.

Julie Fisher
    Daryl Fisher Homes

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Well, if you knew the valuers on the bank’s panel you could order your own valuation, but it would have to be reassigned to the bank – for another fee. ANZ is the only major bank that lets the broker order the valuation directly.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of daneyedaneye
    Participant
    @daneye

Thanks guys for your valuable input. I will take what you have said and use it when seeking my first IP.[thumbsupanim]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.