All Topics / Help Needed! / Difference Bedroom / Study & Reno Advice

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of emilovemilov
    @emilov

Hi All,
    I just bought my first home, a 3brm brick&tile house. Even if I believe I paid well and there should be some equity in it already, I’d like to do it up a bit so the equity is enough to buy my first IP in April/May.

So, besides basic stuff (painting, taps etc.) there is a dining area, which should be easily converted into a 4th bedroom. It has its own window, power outlet, light and a switch so it would be to just fill the gap on one wall and add a door to the other (and repaint).

Here is the twist, if I do that, would it be a 4th bedroom (which would add more value) OR a study? What is the difference between the two, is it size?

Having said that, can someone recommend me a tradie that can do those things? I live in Brisbane, Sunnybank Hills.

Thanks for your patience :D

Cheers,
    Emil

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

Hi Emil
    Can’t help you with a tradie as I am not from those parts but I can tell you that the only difference between an study and a bedroom is the name. Call it what you like. If all the other rooms have built in robes and this one doesn’t then you can easily get the builder to frame some in if the room is big enough and the plasterer and painter can finish it off when they are doing the wall.

Regards Julie[thumbsup2]
    Daryl Fisher Homes

Profile photo of emilovemilov
    @emilov

Hi Julie,
    Thanks for the quick answer.

All other bedrooms have built-ins. But if I added one to the 4th bedroom/study, it would become too small. Now one can easily put a single bed and a desk there.

So, am I right that calling it a “bedroom” would make the house more valuable (“4brm house” then) compared to calling it a “3brm+study”? Is it really that easy?

Cheers,
    Emil

@jfisher

If building-in the dining room looks original then it will add value no matter whether it is called a bedroom or not. Most houses with a smaller 4th bedroom use it as a study anyway. Many REA’s will market such rooms as study/4th bedroom. It is up to the prospective tenant or purchaser to decide what use it will fulfill. It is more valuable in my opinion as it gives additional options; not because of what that room is named. A family with more than 2-3 children may appreciated the additional bedroom. Another family with the same amount of children but who work for themselves may appreciate the fact they have a study as well as enough room to sleep their family. If you feel that calling it a ‘4th bedroom’ will give it more value then call it that. No one can dispute the name of a room.

Julie

@emilov

Cool thanks. I don’t intend to sell. I’m just interested in what the valuer would say. My wife and I personally don’t need that extra room. I’m doing it just because it seems to be an easy/cheap job but it would add good value.

My intention is to move out in a year or two and rent it out anyway.

So, is there somebody in Brissie who can recommend me a tradie to do the above work?

Thanks,
    Emil

@jfisher

IJust an afterthought! If you are trying to decide on potential increase in value alone, then make sure that you don’t reduce the value of the property by making the remaining meals/dining area too small and cramped. You don’t want to give with one hand and take with the other.
    Julie

@emilov

Hmm… I myself wouldn’t use the dining area and I won’t miss it. It just sits there, an unused space. And because I’m also planning to add a pergola which would serve as an outdoor dining/whatever area it should be fine, I think.

Another option I considered is to remove the walls of the current dining area completely and thus increase the size of the adjacent lounge/living room. But that would still leave me with a 3brm house…

What do you think?
    Emil

Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Hi Emil

I recently had two seperate valuations done on my home. I have always referred to it as a 4 bedroom house – but both agents said that I could not call it a 4 bedroom home if it didn’t have a built in wardrobe.

They both completed my valuation as a 3 bedroom plus study !!

Even though my “study” was as big as two of the other bedrooms.

I’m in Vic, could be different in your State.

good luck

debbie

@emilov

Hi Debbie,
    Thanks for sharing this info. So could you tell me the difference (in $$ or percentage) between what increase in value I could expect when adding a 4th bedroom or adding a study? How “valuable” is a study?

Cheers,
    Emil

@jfisher
    Originally posted by fingerscrossed:

Hi Emil

I recently had two seperate valuations done on my home. I have always referred to it as a 4 bedroom house – but both agents said that I could not call it a 4 bedroom home if it didn’t have a built in wardrobe.

good luck

debbie

How do these agents list a home that was built before built in wardrobes were thought of? I bet they advertised them as bedrooms or did they say….”Come and inspect our 4 study house???” lol. It’s just a label and the same room could be used for either purpose. Size will influence what many will choose to do with it though.

Maybe you could install some BIR in the ‘new’ room by borrowing some space from an adjoining room. It would depend on your floor plan. I think that you need a valuer (not a REA valuer) to give you some advice on the best value for money option.

Julie
    Daryl Fisher Homes

Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Hi Emil

I agree with julie.

I think that a 4th room is going to add value no matter what you call it.

We are planning on knocking part of the wall out of the “study” and taking half of the built in wardrobe from the adjoining bedroom next door.

My agent advised us that a house advertised as a 4 bedroom sounds more appealing than a 3 bedroom and study and that a 4th bedroom would add value.

I know that knocking down walls won’t be possible in your case. Why don’t you just buy a small stand alone wardrobe?.

Your room sounds a bit on the small side.

I would seek the advice of a professional qualified valuer and leave the Real Estate Agents out of it. There opinions vary so much.

Good luck with it all

Debbie

@emilov

Thank you both for your comments.
    Yes, it would be a small room (2.30×2.30m), but enough for a single bed & desk (or a small wardrobe) I think.

The only problem I have (besides getting a reliable tradesman) is that if I make it a room, where will the people eat i.e. there will be no dining area then. (I personally don’t care because we are outside most of the time). So, is the lack of dining area a big problem?

Cheers,
    Emil

Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste
    Originally posted by fingerscrossed:

Hi Emil

good luck

debbie

Hi all

Thats odd, that means the duplex I am renovating is a 3 study 1 bath ? – no robes at all

Celeste

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.