All Topics / Value Adding / recovering costs in rent.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Hi all

I have a tennant that has requested that we put air conditioning and heating in our Retail IP.

We are very happy to do this, but I was wondering what the acceptable time period would be to recover the cost in rent.

Is there an Industry standard ??

He has just requested a 3 x 1 year lease.

We expect the outlay to be around $2,000. The tennant pays $1,250.00 pcm at present.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Debbie

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You would probably want to recoup your money within 12-24 months. Also factor in any increase in value this would add (if any) and any tax savings.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of KuadeKuade
    @kuade

I’d see what it looks like on your figures. Though I would be aiming for 18 months.

Given the current rental market I’m curious as to why the 3 x 1 year lease, rather than 6 x 6 month to account for the rising rental investment market. 2 small rises in rent over 12 months is more manageble for a tenant that 1 big one after 12 months, and you have additional opportunities to reasses the market more regularly. Obviously this is a case by case situation as the $ rental return isn’t the only consideration.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Funny how different people have different reactions.

My reaction was that I thought that a 12 month lease for a shop was a short lease, Good for the tenant of cause but not for the landlord.
    As far as rent increases go, that’s usually built into the lease agreement. Typically CPI increase each year with a rent review to market price at the end of each lease period.

The cost of $2,000 does not seem very much to me. My preference, in your situation would be to ask him if he would accept a longer lease rather than an extra price increase to cover the aircon.

Just an opinion.
    Elka

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.