All Topics / Help Needed! / Depreciation; Old Home ‘v’ New Unit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of njkpropertynjkproperty
    @njkproperty

How does depreciation work differently for say a old 3 or 4 brm home compared to a brand new 2 or 3 unit ?

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

It doesn’t really ‘work differently’ for homes vs units. Depending on when it was built, the building can be depreciated, as can the Assets (fixtures and fittings). If you mean which will yield more depreciation, a new unit will tend to give more than an old home. That’s a huge generalisation, but with more specifics from you I can be more specific in return.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of njkpropertynjkproperty
    @njkproperty

Thanks Scott, I am trying to work out which to target, new 2 brm unit, or old 4brm house on small block, both about same price, same location ?

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

I wouldn’t use depreciation as something that really dictates a purchase decision. I sort of see it as icing on the cake. Yes, it can assist with affordability though. The new unit will give you more depreciation, but many people will say you’re better off with the home because you’re buying a plot of land and it’s land that appreciates.
    I would tell the forum a bit more about what you’re looking at i.e. location, price, possible rent etc etc.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.