All Topics / Help Needed! / bathroom mould

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of cathy38cathy38
    Participant
    @cathy38

Hello all

I would appreciate any tips for prevention of mould on bathroom walls and ceiling, a common problem I expect.

My flat is on the second floor with another flat above. There is a window which can be opened but this has proven to be inadequate. I will get the room repainted with a mould resistant paint. In the meantime it has been suggested that a vent could be placed in the ceiling to just vent the moist air into the ceiling space. This doesn’t sound quite right – is it possible to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Cathy.[smiling]

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Cathy. We recently had a bathroom in a property repainted with ‘mould resistant’ paint. However the thing you really need in a bathroom is some type of exhaust fan, otherwise it won’t last long. I’m guessing you cannot put one in the ceiling? Although if you can put a vent in, I would think you could stick a fan in – this is the best option. If not one in the window should help a lot more than just an open window, even if it means you lose the abilitiy to actually open the window. Hope that helps you. [strum]

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

Hi Cathy38
    You will have to start with giving the walls and ceiling a really good clean with something that will not only remove the visible mould but kill any residual spores not able to be seen by the naked eye; otherwise it will grow back. Vinegar is a great non-toxic antifungal etc spray it one with a trigger nozzle lightly and let it sit for a bit. Shower enclosures can be cleaned with a vinegar/bicarb mix (fizzy) and a toothbrush will get into the grout well. You can use a very weak bleach solution (and rinse well) but I have stopped using that since I found out that it makes grout porous, strips the glaze off tiles, causes glass cancer on shower screens and breaks down rubber sealant on shower screens. It also even can make paint surfaces powdery.
    Mould will grow best in a moist environment which is why the most effective deterrent is a well ventilated room. While you are deciding how to tackle your problem you could ensure that you open your window and door immediately after you’ve finished in the bathroom to disperse the moist air before it settles on you walls/ceilings.
    If your ceiling cavity is a shared floor to an upper flat then pushing moist air into a confined space will ultimately cause moisture to settle back onto the top of your ceiling and cause further damage. In Victoria new homes able to be built which allow rangehoods and exhaust fans to discharge into a roof cavity but in NSW you have to have it ducted through the roof cavity and discharge to the outside of your roof or the underside of an eave or even directly through an external wall to the outside of the house. How close is your shower to an external wall? I will try to find some products that you could retrofit which will remove the moist air in the meantime and get back to the forum with the info later.

Julie Fisher
    Daryl Fisher Homes.

@jfisher

Hi Cathy38
    Here are a couple of links. You can get direct wall exhaust fans and if these links aren’t any help speak to a local electrical supplier as it seems most of these fans are sold through those outlets. Good luck.

http://cat.impel.com.au/view_category.php?id=109
    http://www.jpmark.com.au/Text/1097032776460-2906/pC/1097025963011-3540/Venting-and-Ducting

Regards
    Julie Fisher

Profile photo of cathy38cathy38
    Participant
    @cathy38

Thank you v8ghia and Julie. I forgot to mention that this flat is an IP in Qld.

The shower is next to an internal wall opposite the window so probably a few meters from the external wall. If some sort of exhaust is directed through the external wall or window I guess I will need to talk to the body corporate first but it sounds like a better idea than just venting into the ceiling space. The property in which I am a tenant has a kitchen exhaust that discharges into the roof cavity – I hate to think what it must be like up there.

I will check out those links and see what all the options are, then talk again with my property manager.

Thanks again
    Cathy

[biggrin]

Profile photo of emptypocketsemptypockets
    @emptypockets

There is an additive you can get to put in any paint that is going on walls that are exposed to moisture. Can’t remember it’s name but just as the guy (or gal) at the paint shop.

@jfisher
    Originally posted by cathy38:

Thank you v8ghia and Julie. I forgot to mention that this flat is an IP in Qld.

The shower is next to an internal wall opposite the window so probably a few meters from the external wall. If some sort of exhaust is directed through the external wall or window I guess I will need to talk to the body corporate first but it sounds like a better idea than just venting into the ceiling space. The property in which I am a tenant has a kitchen exhaust that discharges into the roof cavity – I hate to think what it must be like up there.

I will check out those links and see what all the options are, then talk again with my property manager.

Thanks again
    Cathy

[biggrin]

Hi Cathy38
    If you are concerned about the kitchen rangehood some kitchen rangehoods are able to be converted to recirculating; they suck up the air from under the canopy, filter it and blow it out the front. You can change them over by removing the front fascia panel and there is a section that is pulled out, reversed and placed back inside, fascia panel placed back on and job’s done. Before you touch anything though, have to look in the instructions for that model if you’ve got them or check out the specifications on the website to make sure it is changeable. Obviously the rules in Qld at the time of construction allowed it to be vented into the roof cavity.

Julie

Profile photo of cathy38cathy38
    Participant
    @cathy38

Thank you emptypockets and thank you again Julie. You have provided some very useful information. Every little bit helps. I hadn’t heard of a recirculating rangehood before.

I haven’t been very clear though. The IP in Qld with the bathroom mould is my property. The place in which I am a tenant and which has the kitchen exhaust venting into the roof cavity is in SA. It is just a fan in the ceiling so not a rangehood as such.

Cathy.[smiling]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.