Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of UnknownSoldierUnknownSoldier
    @unknownsoldier

hi ppl
    just wondering peoples opinion of this suburb for IP’s ??
    now this is far from bias but i have lived here since i was a little kid 16 years ago still with parents. This town when we moved here was very nice, then it turned into an absolute drug hole but that’s all been booted and now its trendying up. I think footscray is majorly undervalued, i mean depending where you are its not even 3-4k’s to the cbd, and we are 2k’s from the biggest booming area in melbourne the docklands. Our neighbouring suburbs kensington and yarravile have a median house price of over $400,000 each and footscray is positioned around 320!
    The town has a large university, footscray park, a 5min drive to flemington racecourse, a few primary schools, public hospitals, and connects right onto geelong road/princess hwy which will take u to geelong and straight down great ocean road e.t.c
    The only slight downfall is the town (and this isn’t a racial slur) is very vietnamese dominated with the shops and i dont think this does much to add value or appeal to a town but this doesnt seem to stop box hill or springvale which are like over 15ks from the city and have 400-500k median hosue prices!!
    Anyway it looks good to me based on the above, just wondering what do ppl with more knowledge think of it??

Profile photo of mimarandamimaranda
    @mimaranda

I bought my apartment in Footscray almost a year ago now and I know what you mean about the suburb. It has some great infrastructure (and set to be more with the Government’s 2030 plan) and is close to the booming Yarraville and Seddon. Yet Footscray itself seems very rundown and multicultural to the point of extreme (I say this because I’ve had times where I’ve walked down the main street and been the only Westerner in sight – coming from Perth, which is quite Anglo, that’s a new experience for me in Australia). However I’m kind of relaxing into it now and really enjoying the cheap fruit and veg and seafood at the markets. I think Footscray will really pick up because it almost has to. It’s adjacent to good suburbs and close to the city and the actual layout of the town centre would support a great shopping environment if the place became trendier. I don’t have any definitive answers, I guess as a recent buyer in Footscray I’m just crossing my fingers and hoping it becomes nicer as quickly as possible!!

Profile photo of alvinengalvineng
    Participant
    @alvineng

guys,

i totally know what you’re talking. i’m an asian myself and when i lived in london (for 4.5 years) i was living at an African suburb. sometime when i walk down the street and i was the only non-black person around. when i went in to local takeaway store (more then few times), everyone inside this takeaway store looked at me funny….. But I must say I really enjoyed that. I learned heaps on African culture.

In terms of Footscray, crime is still a BIG issue! But everyone I talked to think Footscray is undervalued. If you look at Richmond, I’ve been told it was a c**p hole at one stage and look at it now. However, there are still crime/drug issue at Victoria St.

There must be pockets of Footscray which are not affected by any of these. You need to focus on these areas. Saying that I’m going for a drive around Footscray now and trying to identify streets.

Alvin [buz2]

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

I bought the last copy of Residex’s top 100 growth predictions for the Country areas. On the top 10 for victoria, Skye was number two; I believe that is near Frankston Nth? With that in mind you would think that a well researched selection around these areas could be a great long term performer. Good luck.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by UnknownSoldier:

hi ppl
    just wondering peoples opinion of this suburb for IP’s ??
    now this is far from bias but i have lived here since i was a little kid 16 years ago still with parents. This town when we moved here was very nice, then it turned into an absolute drug hole but that’s all been booted and now its trendying up. I think footscray is majorly undervalued, i mean depending where you are its not even 3-4k’s to the cbd, and we are 2k’s from the biggest booming area in melbourne the docklands. Our neighbouring suburbs kensington and yarravile have a median house price of over $400,000 each and footscray is positioned around 320!
    The town has a large university, footscray park, a 5min drive to flemington racecourse, a few primary schools, public hospitals, and connects right onto geelong road/princess hwy which will take u to geelong and straight down great ocean road e.t.c
    The only slight downfall is the town (and this isn’t a racial slur) is very vietnamese dominated with the shops and i dont think this does much to add value or appeal to a town but this doesnt seem to stop box hill or springvale which are like over 15ks from the city and have 400-500k median hosue prices!!
    Anyway it looks good to me based on the above, just wondering what do ppl with more knowledge think of it??

I think these are the suburbs to be looking for. No-one seems to want to touch them (like Dandy’thong’ of recent posts), but as you have observed; the infrastructure and potential due to location is all there.

With such widespread neg sentiment, it makes the competition much thinner and more bargains to be had. Go for it if you think it’s a winner. Be the 10% not the 90%.

As a kid I lived for a while in Oakleigh (s’eastern Melb suburb), and it was a hell-hole for ever, but you can’t get in there for under $500k now for anything remotely decent.

When you start to see ‘trendying up’ going on, it’s time to pull out the cheque book. Think Yarraville, Williamstown, Beacon Cove (Port Melbourne), Richmond, St.Kilda etc, etc.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.