All Topics / Help Needed! / North Facing Property

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of ShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeYShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeY
    @show_me_the_money

Hi Guys,
    I have often heard property sellers emphasising on North Facing House. Whats so special about north facing?

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi

In the winter (in the southern hemisphere) the sun travels north (or seems to but we won’t get into too much science here).

If your house is facing north, it gets more sun in the winter and therefore should be warmer in winter.

Cheers, Paul

Paul & Karen Dobson
    negative2positive
    Turn your negatively geared property into positive cashflow.
    Phone: (02) 4984 9540

Talk to us about Wrap Training Joint Ventures.

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

Hi SMTM
    Agents that try to plug north facing blocks are just jumping on the energy efficiency wagon without knowing their stuff. I am in Vic and am also an accredited rater, so the general principle is as follows…
    The arc that the sun follows from dawn (when it rises in the east) to dusk (when it sets in the west) leans north. This arc is higher in the sky during the summer months and lower in the sky in winter months. Having a block that faces north is sometimes not the best orientation as in order to gain valuable points for your House Energy Rating (HER) , the living areas should face a northerly orientation with adequate eaves (there is a formulae) that will allow the low winter sun into your windows to solar passively heat your home but block out the high summer sun that will fry you. One of the Vic requirements of 5 star accreditation at the moment is to either have a solar hot water service on your roof or rainwater tanks to service your toilets. In order to function correctly, solar HWS’s need to have a north – northwesterly orientation, so if you go for this option and have a north facing block you will end up with a couple of solar panels hanging off the front of your home to greet your guests (and the valuer)…not a good look. If you also really wanted to take advantage of solar passive design should pick a site that allows you to face the majority of your general living areas along the northern side of your block, bedrooms etc are best placed on the southish sides, garages are best on the west and can act as a buffer etc. Basically if you are building a new home and are looking for a block then get one where the front is facing south and you can have all your living area’s at the back (open plan style); even adjusting around to south-east facing will still be easy for a rater to minimize the additional requirement. The better the rating for good design, the less money you will have to spend on additional glazing, higher R-value insulation etc.
    Interestingly if you apply this knowledge to the purchase of IP’s, you would get a fair idea of how comfortable the home will be during the different seasons and in the case of people who are renting rooms out at a flat rate with all included this could save a few dollars in power/gas bills as you could attend to each possible problem (extra insulation etc) before you rent out the premises.
    Once again if you live at the top of Australia then some of this advice may need adjusting for the different zone. Hope that helps sorry for the big reply (it seems to be a trait of mine).

Julie Fisher
    Daryl Fisher Homes

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi there. For my 14cents worth, for what it’s worth, after having moved from an almost South facing house on the NSW South Coast, to a North facing one, it is ‘chalk and cheese’. So much nicer in the mornings, and of course the main living areas are usually cooler during the day. Used to wonder what all the fuss was about myself but I now know why. All the best, [strum]

@jfisher
    Originally posted by v8ghia:

Hi there. For my 14cents worth, for what it’s worth, after having moved from an almost South facing house on the NSW South Coast, to a North facing one, it is ‘chalk and cheese’. So much nicer in the mornings, and of course the main living areas are usually cooler during the day. Used to wonder what all the fuss was about myself but I now know why. All the best, [strum]

Hi v8ghia
    I know I had a lengthy reply but the point that I was making was that it doesn’t matter where the front of your block faces but what type of rooms are where; a north facing block with the living areas facing north will be just as comfortable as a south facing block with the living areas facing north. And vice versa. This is why advertising a north facing block as a bonus is irrelevant; you can design a very comfortable house that faces south.
    The reason I said that a south facing block performed better than north facing was due to the fact that house design currently places our main living areas at the back of the house with maybe the exception of a lounge. If you had a southish facing block these main living areas would get good natural light and warmth during the day when you are in them. Of course a north facing block would also perform as well if your lounge/kitchen/meals faced the front as well, but you would rarely see a house designed this way.
    Your very hot north facing rooms probably had too much glass and no (or not enough) eaves/verandahs. I live in Mildura and yesterday was 42 degrees; my kitchen and living face north and we have a 1800 verandah around our house which still allows the winter sun in but shades the summer sun from our walls and windows. I don’t even need to turn our a/c on until we hit 30 as the wall and ceiling insulation in addition to the verandah save us from direct sun. We added the verandah ourselves, but before then, we were like you, cooking in the summer.
    It is not just as simple as saying north is better than south. That is why all new homes use the CSIRO software; it’s not just about orientation it is about a whole range of things. All these things can affect comfort no matter which way your block faces. You cant change an existing house to a large degree but you can make significant savings when building from scratch.

Regards Julie[exhappy]

Profile photo of ShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeYShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeY
    @show_me_the_money

Thanks a lot Julie. My house designs are available at: http://www.henley.com.au/vic/?part=houses&home_id=32&type=1
    i am keen on having the front of the house facing the east, this way:
    1.all my bdrm windows will be north facing (except master bdrm)
    2. the solar tank will be on north west – towards the back of the house and thus not visible from the front.
    3. the morning sun will not come directly into the master bdrm.
    What are your comments on this?

@show_me_the_money

Thanks a lot Julie. My house designs are available at: http://www.henley.com.au/vic/?part=houses&home_id=32&type=1
    i am keen on having the front of the house facing the east, this way:
    1.all my bdrm windows will be north facing (except master bdrm)
    2. the solar tank will be on north west – towards the back of the house and thus not visible from the front.
    3. the morning sun will not come directly into the master bdrm.
    What are your comments on this?

@jfisher

In which State and City are you building SMTM?

Regards Julie

Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

I also believe that some councils look favorably on North facing living areas, I know that our Architect is adamant that if at all possible that living areas face North.

@show_me_the_money

Doh! sorry didnt answer that q earlier!! I am building in victoria.

@show_me_the_money

d_robb, are u referring to north facing living room? or north facing bedrooms? if i intend to spend most of my time in my study that is towards the back of the house, then do i need the house souch facing? so that the study is facing towards the north?

@jfisher

Hi SMTM
    If you are in Melbourne you will be in the temperate coastal zone. The greater issue listed for this zone is winter heating rather than summer cooling. Your study will get morning sun only as it faces the direction in which the sun rises; the rest of the day it will receive only minimal natural light as you have firstly the wall of the bedroom casting shadow on the window as well as the large portico. You may well have your light on during the day sometimes. The sun will travel along the wall hitting your ensuite/bath and beds 2-4. If there are not any eaves or external blinds on these windows these rooms will get very hot on a hot summers day. Your meals and kitchen area will get the direct low setting sun in the late afternoon/evening which may not appeal if you are sitting down to tea and the setting sun is beaming in the back door on a hot summer day (if you are in a built up area then the you may be protected from the full brunt of it. In winter this alfresco area will be shaded from the warming winter sun until the afternoon also. Your living areas predominantly face the south (living/casual) and I notice the living has a large amount of glass. This area will most likely get quite cool in winter and unless your glass is double glazed or you have have heavy drapes and pelments this room will take some heating up. If you place the solar HWS over your bathroom/powder room it will only have a short distance to flow until it reaches all your wet areas except your laundry and the unit should not be visible from the road. A north direction will always be preferrable to a north west direction for solar units.
    In saying that (I’m sorry, I am just trying to give you as much info as I can) this company will have to have a House Energy Rating done on your home and get it to five stars in order to comply with regulations. This may mean that you have as thick insulation in as you can. An eave or a small verandah on the north wall would be better as the main source of heat in those rooms will be firstly direct heat through the windows, then radiant heat absorbed into the bricks during the day, will be slowly released well into the night (not pleasant on the odd 40 degree Melb night). They may insist that the glazing is increased to double glazing. You could also use tinted glass for the bedrooms on that side and depending on the comfort of the people inside you may even put on an external blind to stop the sun heating up the bedrooms to much (it is much nicer to sleep in a cooler room. Then again if you have a double storey home on the block next door or a large tree you will obtain a fair bit of shade from it (depends how close).
    The general principle of energy efficient design is to place the rooms that you inhabit during the day to the north/north east. The rooms that you inhabit during the night to the south/south east. Garages are a good buffer from the setting sun during winter and summer in the west. Wet areas places as near to each other as practicable (your design is as good as you could get on this) and are best to the south/south west where they can buffer the cold winds and the setting suns glare and heat on a hot day. Mirror imaging your plan on the same block would improve the rating and comfort factor.
    I am happy to help any time and there is alot of info on energy efficient design on the Sustainability Victoria website (which also is the governing body for all House Energy Raters).

Regards Julie
    Daryl Fisher Homes.[smiling]

@jfisher

Sorry SMTM
    I should mention that if you haven’t bought the land yet, that the best block that you could buy for this plan would be a South-West facing block. This would enable your bedrooms (apart from yours) to get the early morning sun which is nice to wake up to. The alfresco/casual/living areas would recieve the sun during the day (eaves or an adjustable external blind on some of the exposed north windows would help with the very hot summer sun and still allow the winter sun in to help warm your house). The less desirable setting sun would come down in the west where your garage’s corner is. Good luck.Julie

@show_me_the_money

Hi Julie! I am astonished!!! Thanks a lot for all your ideas. To be true i never thought of these things in so much of depth. I just started work, need to review your post in details once more and shall get back to the forum soon.
    Cheers and Have a Great Day

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

Hi Julie, thank you for the info. Don’t worry about the length. I love the detailed explanation & I want to express gratitude that you so generously share your knowledge.

I’ve always left it to the design consultant who changed my bedrooms in the North to living room opening onto the yard. Now I understand why!

We really do live & learn, thank you.
    Kum Yin

@jfisher

Thankyou Kum Yin, that is nice of you to say.

You’re most welcome to share in the ‘little’ I know.[exhappy]

I, myself, need to learn much more than I know!![confused2]

Regards Julie.
    Daryl Fisher Homes

@show_me_the_money

Thanks a lot Julie, I really appreciate your time and effort in explaining this to me. I agree with what you proposed and i havent yet bought the block. I beleive the drawbacks that you identified could be done away with :

1. If i buy the east facing block but use a mirror image of the house plan, ie garage and bdrms swapped or
    2. buy a north facing plot with the same plans

do you know if there is any logic or reasoning behind whether garage will be on the right of the house or left? i have seen quite a lot of plots where the garages are adjacent. So in my case i can get the same house but with the garage and bdrms swapped. Infact the plan that i sent you was completely the opposite of the actual house that i had seen last week. Can you shed any light on this?

@show_me_the_money

Sorry, point 1 in my post i used the term mirror image, thats not correct. what i meant was just the garage and bedrooms swapped over.

@jfisher
    Originally posted by ShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeY:

Sorry, point 1 in my post i used the term mirror image, thats not correct. what i meant was just the garage and bedrooms swapped over.

I think I have confused you with my longwinded answers SMTM!

1. No, I would mirror image the entire plan for an east facing block.

2. Don’t buy a ‘north facing block, your ‘daytime area’s’ will be facing the south (too cold). Try to buy a South or South-West facing block (meaning your front door will be facing south or south west) so that your alfresco area is facing either North or North-East.

Regards

Julie

@jfisher

[/quote]
    do you know if there is any logic or reasoning behind whether garage will be on the right of the house or left? i have seen quite a lot of plots where the garages are adjacent. So in my case i can get the same house but with the garage and bdrms swapped. Infact the plan that i sent you was completely the opposite of the actual house that i had seen last week. Can you shed any light on this?
    [/quote]

SMTM, I think you are describing what I am referring to as a ‘mirror image’; where the layout of the house is the same but reversed (as it would be if reflected in a mirror) Is this what you mean? If it is, this is what I suggested that you do if you are keen on this particular block of land, as it will mean the garage is now where your master bedroom is with all the other rooms in line behind as they are now?
    The reason that the henley group would do this would be purely why I am suggesting that you do it; achieve a better/easier rating and more comfortable home for clients. It may sometimes be that clients have a view on one side and not the other that they want to reverse the plan (mirror image).

Regards Julie

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.