All Topics / Help Needed! / YOUR POINT OF VIEW

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of nikikbnikikb
    @nikikb

Hi Guys,
    It feels like i have hit a brick wall with investing,so i’d love to hear your opinions. I currently have two investment properties, one of which i am about to put on the market and make about 120000 profit. It seems as though when i try and seek sound advice from someone,they have thier own interests at heart.keep in mind i live in Darwin….. Property here is extremely expensive,
    What would you guys do with the money????

Profile photo of ShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeYShOw_Me_ThE_MoNeY
    @show_me_the_money

are you living in your own home? if i had that money the 1st thing i’d buy would be my own home. and if i had a home i would use the money to start my own business. again this is me, just giving you a suggestion.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

What is it with all these investors who must sell as soon as they make a profit on an I.P?? What are you going to do with the money when you get it – reinvest it into other assets or blow it on ‘doodads’ that will be worth zero in about 2 years? sheesh!! [grrr]

By the time you add up buying and selling costs, adding back any depreciation claims onto the cap growth when you sell, then paying cap gain tax as well, you end with a whole lot less.

Not to mention that you miss out on any future cap growth because you don’t own the property anymore.

I think the figures are (please correct me if this is wrong) that only 5% of all investors own more than 2 investment properties, only 1% own more than 5 I.P’s, and about 30% of all investors buy 1 I.P and then sell it and never invest again.

Considering that 90% of the world is broke (most middle class people are 1 paycheck from broke), you don’t have to do much to be in the 10% of rich folk.

Keep the property and use the increasing equity to buy something else that will make you even more rich.

Anyone who is telling you to sell your I.P’s and buy a product that they recommend is giving you bad advice.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I wouldn’t sell.

After four years of growth the stockmarket is forecasted by many to start to settle this year. Changes to Super see a lot of money still pouring in wich may delay things.

Sure as night follows day, when the stock market loses momentum the smart money will be looking to switch back to property.

I am no expert but I am looking to buy another property soon.

I am a buy and hold proponent having sold properties some years ago and realising that I would be much better off had I left them tenanted to appreciate for me.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi nikikb

I would not sell it. As mentioned above, I would access some of the equity in this IP and use it as a deposit for another IP. Good luck.

Cheers, Paul

Paul & Karen Dobson
    negative2positive
    Turn your negatively geared property into positive cashflow.
    Phone: (02) 4984 9540

Talk to us about Wrap Training Joint Ventures.

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of mollymonstamollymonsta
    @mollymonsta

G,day
    I’m new to the game but everthing i’ve read and studied tells me that thier correct. Hangon to the property and use the equity to buy another. The only other thing i have played around with is trading options. No expert. Done everything wrong you could possibly do and still came out in front. Check out http://www.21stcenturyacademy.com
    If you read through the hipe they actually have some amazing share strategies. This is not for everyone but it may give you some new ideas on investing.

goodluck

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

at the moment there seems to be a small window till july 07 to be able to invest some of this money straight into superannuation where it would be taxed at a lower rate. It might be worth keeping this in mind when talking to a financial adviser or accountant.
    A wise way to invest is to spread your money over various asset classes this is know as diversification or as the saying goes don’t put your eggs in the one basket. Another important point is what your risk profile is. Are you prepared to risk losing your investment and how would you recover from a loss. How much debt is on the other property is it worth paying down debt.

Comments are of a general nature and may not be relevant to your individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of wayne10539wayne10539
    @wayne10539

Hi Nikikb

Like all the other guys have said, dont sell. I am a Darwinian, born and bred, and from what i remember the rents being, you would most likely get a far better rent return on your current property, than if you were to sell and buy another IP elsewhere.

Go the Buffalos!!

Wayne

“What is the lap record, and which way do i go?”

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by duckster:

at the moment there seems to be a small window till july 07 to be able to invest some of this money straight into superannuation where it would be taxed at a lower rate. It might be worth keeping this in mind when talking to a financial adviser or accountant.
    A wise way to invest is to spread your money over various asset classes this is know as diversification or as the saying goes don’t put your eggs in the one basket. Another important point is what your risk profile is. Are you prepared to risk losing your investment and how would you recover from a loss. How much debt is on the other property is it worth paying down debt.

Comments are of a general nature and may not be relevant to your individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

I like Warren Buffet’s quote;
    “Put all your eggs in one basket and watch that basket very carefully”.

By this he means to focus and become an expert in one field, and know all there is to know about it.
    Knowledge is the best hedge against risk and loss.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi, Nikki

I agree with many of the comments in that it would be better to hold, collect rent and let your property appreciate further. Especially so if you are not in need of the money.

The population in Darwin will continue to grow and there will always be people looking for rentals. Those two properties can be used as your cashcows to fund further RE investments.

All the best.

Daniel Lee [specs]

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

On the subject of Warren Buffett , I like to remember a good quote that I recall after reading one of his books .

‘There is only two rules in business .

Rule no. 1 DON’T LOSE MONEY

Rule no. 2 DON;T FORGET RULE NUMBER 1′

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

I’m going to be pretty boring here and agree with the other posts, that providing you don’t hold significant personal debt, I’d keep the property & leverage and buy more.

AmandaBS
    http://www.propertydivas.com.au
    FREE online Property Resources

“It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.