All Topics / Value Adding / Painting Bathroom Tiles

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of rose1610rose1610
    @rose1610

Am wondering if anyone has done this with success, and if so, what product did you use?

Our previous owners (god love ’em) painted the bathroom tiles before they sold – and silly us didn’t realise until afterwards when it all started peeling off, and revealing a lovely shade of rose pink (not lovely at all). Anyways, we’ve been getting some quotes to have the bathroom retiled and they are HUGE! So we are thinking it might be more economical to just strip the paint in the shower (the only place where it’s peeling) and re paint if we can find a suitable product. Look forward to heairng your idea/stories. Cheers!!

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

White knight make a paint for yiles, but I have never used it.I have however had tiles and baths professionally resprayed using 2-pack.The result is good if you get a good operator,but the result is not as hard as tile and can mark if not treated with kid gloves.

Tools

Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste

Hi all

Personally I do not like painted tiles.

but knights paints do it.

Have you thought about stripping all the paint off, then dig the grout out and change the colour, repaint – maybe add a border tile.

Rose pink is one of the new designer colours – have a look in Bunnings paint section at dulux’s little flip books. I was looking this morning.

I did this with lovely grey wall tiles, rose floor tiles – I changed the grout on the floor tiles to one the matches as close a possible ,found a border tile the incorporated the grey and rose with the addition of a lovely blue, then painted the wall a fawny/grey white – looked brand new.

Celeste

Profile photo of rose1610rose1610
    @rose1610

Sounds great. Although perhaps rose pink wasn’t the best description. My husband describes it as a sick candy floss pink. Hmmm. It’s givng me nightmares trying to work out what to do.

Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste
    Originally posted by rose1610:

Sounds great. Although perhaps rose pink wasn’t the best description. My husband describes it as a sick candy floss pink. Hmmm. It’s givng me nightmares trying to work out what to do.

Post a photo and I will give you some suggestions.

Grab some paint colour phamplets and see if you can work out the colour and let me know.

Changing the grout can change the colour of the tile, making one colour receed and another come to the fore.

celeste

@rose1610

we’ve decided to get a quote to get the bathroom re-enamelled.

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

We tiled over tiles and it saves a lot of money and looks great. When I told the tenants that lived there for 2 years they were very surprised. Regards, Linda

@rose1610

You didn’t find they came out too think from the wall then? That’s an interesting idea.

Julie
    Property Conveyancer
    Melbourne

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Julie

I think tiling over tiles only works really well if the tiles are floor to ceiling and then you really can’t tell the difference.

Cheers [smiling]
    Elka

Profile photo of dvanedvane
    @dvane

Tiling over tiles will only work if the original tiles are sound. If the paint is peeling then tiling over the top may not be your best option.

If you have the time/inclination you could strip them off and give it a go yourself. Tiling isn’t that hard.

My wife painted some bathroom tiles white once and seems to remember the job was tedious and difficult. The effect was very good, however, and lasted several years before beginning to peel.

I suppose the lesson learned is “Don’t paint tiles if you plan to keep the bathroom”.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.