All Topics / Help Needed! / Feasability Studies

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

Hello all, as a new member to this site I must say I have found all the info very informative. As a newcomer to property investing I know that it will be a valuable resource. My query is on the subject of feasability studies! Who can prepare these for you and in what situations would experienced property investors consider them a necessity. Has anyone prepared their own? As builders we have many years experience in building, reno’s, extensions etc. We have never used estimating software or the risky square meterage rate to quote for our custom homes, we work everything out from scratch so would it be possible (maybe with the right type of software) for us to prepare our own, or is it just not worth the headaches? We are situated in Mildura (Vic) where there is a fair bit just starting to happen with the first Inland Marina in Australia beginning construction so we have been looking around here for developement op’s and have also been looking in Adelaide, where again, there has been a fair bit of infrastructure earmarked or already began. I have been doing research on various areas for about 4 months and am keen to get it right so any advice would be appreciated. Julie.[confused2]

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

As developers and project managers we prepare our own feasibility studies.

The software we use is Feastudy. You can get details of it here…
    http://www.propertyupdate.com.au/pages/Feastudy-Key-Features

Of course the results you get are only as good as the input you use and if you are not familiar with what this you should consider usinga project manager.

If you would like to see a sample feasibility study for a recent project of our have a look at this….

http://www.metropoleprojects.com.au/investors_%20learning_centre.html

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Publisher of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 20,000 readers.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

Thanks for those links Michael, I will check those out!
    Just going back to when it would be prudent to prepare or commission a FS; do you prepare a FS for every development you do, or just the larger ones? (I would like to know if you feel it necessary to go through the process for a 2-4 unit/villa development or is it necessary only for larger projects). Would the banks view an application for funding more favorably if a FS is submitted when applying for a loan? How much would we expect to pay for someone to prepare a FS on our behalf? We project manage all our own construction so would you still recommend another PM for our first development? We do have the support of our local building inspector who has encouraged us to jump in. Julie

Participant
    @michaelyardney

Yes – you must do a feasibility study before you purchase any property with development potential.

Otherwise how do you know how much it is worth to you and how much you would be prepared to pay for it.

And a bank will not lend you money on a devlopment project unless you did some sort of feasibity study.

Should you use a project manager – well I’m biased, but I often say if you’re the smartest person in your team, you are in trouble.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

@jfisher

Thanks heaps Michael! I really appreciate your time and advice. The question regarding PM’s wasn’t intended to diminish the role of the PM but because where I live I would doubt that there are any. Only one architect up here is Uni qualified as far as I’m aware. Some of the architect/drafting firms in town offer this service but as I know how often Daryl has to visit them to explain to them that something they have drawn is unbuildable; I cannot imagine they would manage a project better than we could ourselves. We are 6 hours from Melb and 4 hours from Adelaide so importing a PM would be a serious financial cost and this would reduce our ability to compete in the market place with the many other local builders who also don’t use them. So I was sort of trying to ascertain whether they perform additional duties to what we would normally perform in the construction of a house in order to justify the cost. If they just handle the planning side of things then our building inspector has a planning expert on his staff to handle that and we just get the bill when the planning is approved. Kind Regards Julie

Participant
    @michaelyardney

Julie

The simple answer is a project manager is the coordinator of the whole project and runs the project. It’s not like buildinga single house as your 4 or 6 unit project will never have been built before and is unlikley to ever be built again in the same configuration.

It’s not as simple as buildinga house.

Architects often act a project managers but are often too detailed and not commercially realistic. Builders hate working on jobs supervised by architects

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

@jfisher

Hi Michael
    I understand what you are saying but it sounds like you are presuming that we build set plans when we build a house. We are custom builders so every house we have built is unique/different; we have never built the same plan twice. If what you are saying is correct then, most custom builders (as opposed to the large companies with their own designs) who build architecturally designed homes are (for all intents and purposes) project managers; the difference for us will be that instead of building 3 unique homes/villas in three different locations for 3 seperate clients, we will be building 3 unique homes/villas in the one location for ourselves. It also could be that maybe in the major cities there a builders that specialize in the seperate stages of construction whereas in regional areas where the amount of work is smaller all builders run the job from start to finish. The only stage in Sunraysia that seems to be consistently subbied out is concreting, whereas we do all of that ourselves as well. Thankyou for your help Michael. It is much appreciated.[exhappy]. I feel confident now that we can more than handle a small scale development ourselves. We tend to agree with the comment about working for architects. We think trade experience is what seperate great architects from the ones that don’t understand what can, and cannot be built. Some just draw it in anyway and hope that someone can come up with answer to make it work.

Julie Fisher
    Daryl Fisher Homes

Participant
    @michaelyardney

Judy

Good luck with your development. Let us know how it goes[biggrin]

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.