All Topics / Help Needed! / How to determine the age of a house?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of jambvjambv
    Participant
    @jambv

Hello,
    We are looking at purchasing a rental in QLD. The agent says the house is 3 yrs old but I think it is a lot older based on the fittings. How can I confirm the exact age of the house?

Profile photo of PudestconPudestcon
    @pudestcon

Jambv,

You could try looking in the meter box. Sometimes the meter will have an installed date on it so that might help if it is the original. Also the termite protection company should have a sticker in the meter box detailing that it complies. This should also have a date on it. Failing that, you could try the compliance plates on the appliances such as ovens, cooktops and water heaters.

Something to try anyway.

Pud

Profile photo of IsaIsa
    @isa

What about calling electricity people and find out when the ele was connected, u can call council.

Isa

Profile photo of propertypowerpropertypower
    @propertypower

Hi jambv,
    You can get the information from the council. I think they will charge some fees.
    Regards
    Sanjiv

“There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” – Nelson Mandela

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

If it is in BCC then do a quick drainage search and that will give you a fair idea.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of kjs_2kjs_2
    @kjs_2

Did they build themselves and use old or second hand fittings? What other cheap alternatives did they use in construction? This sounds like a bit of a funny setup. Either the agent is lazy, forgetful, or the sellers lied? Good pickup on your part, as you would expect a 3yo house to be containing fittings of it’s era.

Has this made the house harder to sell, and is it an opportunity to for you to replace fittings and improve the property value?

Please let us know what you find out.

kjs

Profile photo of SargeantSargeant
    @sargeant

Give me the address of the property and I see what I can find out for You.

Thanks

Aslam Sargeant

Profile photo of jambvjambv
    Participant
    @jambv

Hello,
    Just to update everybody, I ended up ringing the council. They were very helpful & answered all my questions straight away. It turns out the prop was 7.5 years old based on council’s final building inspection so we passed. I guess the take home point is always independently verify your facts!

P.S. When confronted, the agent was pretty hostile. It’s always interesting to see how quickly someone’s demeanor can change.

P.P.S. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.