All Topics / Finance / Trust Fund- Should I?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of kpikpi
    @kpi

Hi all,

My wife and I are about to commence building our 4th investment property. We currently have them all in both of our names. Upon reading Steve’s latest book, this is not a cleaver way to structure a property portfolio. What is the criteria for setting up a trust fund and how exactly do they work? Are there any tax inplications that I should be aware of? For example capital gains tax etc. Any help is greatly appreciated….

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Setting up the Trust is relatively easy subject to a a few consideration however transferring your existing Investment properties into the new trust will be a fairly expensive exercise.

Stamp wil be payable on the Transfer value and you may also trigger a GCT issue so think carefully.

Mayble talk to your Accountant and make sure that furture properties are purchased through your new structure.

Another consieration is so ensure that your loans are structured correctly as well as this can also lead to problems in both serviceability and also if you ever wish to sell one fo the properties in the future.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of kpikpi
    @kpi

Thanks Richard. I booked in this afternoon to see an accountant about the big picture. Appreciate your thoughts.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Some tax implications with trusts are:
    Land Tax
    Losses

Hopefully these are outweighed by the increased flexibility in distributions of profits to reduce taxes overall.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Perhaps a few questions to ask your self to help arrive at this decision may be
    1) Are you planning on doing anything dishonest, for which you may be likely to be sued?
    2) Do you need to have a structure set up in order to distribute your income to more than one or two people?
    3) Are you planning on not having landlords insurance on any of your IP’s?
    4) Do you know people that have been sued, and or lost their property, other than via ‘messy’ marraige break ups.? Is this a concern?
    5) Are you aware that some style of trusts and so called ‘hybrid’ arrangements may at any time be scutinised by the ATO, and if found to be tax loopholes, and ‘closed up’ you may be liable in this case?
    6) Have you spoken to an accountant or qualified financial planner that has real life experience with the pro’s and cons of structures like this, who can give you genuine unbiased information?

Lots to think about, and I am certainily not making a recommendation for or against anything, All the best with you journey, and congratulations on achieving what will be ‘number 4’. [strum]

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello kpi

Why don’t you do a search (under the forum button above) for trusts on this forum. A lot of useful information has been written about this topic here. It’s good to have the basic information before you go and see your accountant. I have found that the more you know about a subject the more useful your accountant is.

I see your from Victoria so I assume your properties are in the same state? There are certainly land tax implications for property held in trusts. In Vict. there is a surcharge of 0.375%. However due to the nature of aggregation and depending on the value of your current property, this may be the lessor of the two evils. I was struggling with this some time ago. You may like to read the thread.

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/23233.html

Please note that while I spoke of a land tax free threashold of $200K in these posts, this is true if the property is in your own name. Property in a trust only has a $20K land tax free threaashold. However, if you already own 3 properties, you may have already exceded this threashold anyway.

Hope this helps [smiling]
    Elka

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.