All Topics / Help Needed! / Investing in melbourne

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of azmiahmadazmiahmad
    Participant
    @azmiahmad

Hi there. I am based in Singapore. I would like to know whether it is wise to invest in inner city melbourne apartments or houses in Melbourne. I intend to have both cash flow positive and capital appreciation on the said property. This is the first time i invest in Australia. Regards

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by azmiahmad:

Hi there. I am based in Singapore. I would like to know whether it is wise to invest in inner city melbourne apartments or houses in Melbourne. I intend to have both cash flow positive and capital appreciation on the said property. This is the first time i invest in Australia. Regards

The oversupply of Melbourne’s inner city apartments is dwindling and they now offer some good investment prospects.

There are better opportuities in the established property markets, but as a non resident these are not open to you.

You will not get +ve cashflow from an inner city apartment unless you put in considerable equity. The problem is the rents are not high enough to produce +ve cash flow with 80% or so borrowings

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Publisher of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 20,000 readers.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

Profile photo of LeeFLeeF
    @leef

[/quote]

There are better opportuities in the established property markets, but as a non resident these are not open to you.

[/quote]

Michael,

Care to elaborate on this one? I’m looking at buying an IP at Melbourne, and could use the advice…

Profile photo of propertypowerpropertypower
    @propertypower

Hi azmiahmad,
    I think you need to really think about what you want to achieve from your propeerty investment:
    * If you have decided Melbourne is your the target investment area then you need to let go of the idea of positive cash flow unless you make a substantial cash deposit (as suggested by Michael).
    * If you want both cash flow and capital growth then start thinking about regional towns.
    Hope this helps.
    Sanjiv

“There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” – Nelson Mandela

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.