All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Added on things without Council Approval.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of balniksbalniks
    Participant
    @balniks

Hi,
    My house has an obviously inappropriate wooden carport, that slants to a point that has to be ducked under to avoid hitting your head. Also a 3rd bedroom has been added without council approval. I’m looking at getting rid of this old carport to put a new one up, and will need to be in contact with the council to my positions of pipes etc.
    What can be done about things that are to council spec? Do u get fined? Would there be greater rammifications? If they come out and they find heaps of things that aren’t legal… i just need some guidance on the matter, to try and do the right thing.

Cheers.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

This is one of those situations where the fear of the unknown comes into play and cripples action.
    Councils aren’t there to inhibit or prohibit you; they are there to help you do it right, and within the law.
    Most of the time if you approach them with as much info about your project as possible, and the right attitude, you will be surprised how helpful the council will be.
    I suggest you ring or go to the council and ask what is required to remove the old carport and construct a new one.
    They may even help you with removal estimates, even the materials you will need to construct the new one!
    You can also access plans and designs for carports online and even ‘how to’ instructions from places like Bunnings.
    If you are half handy with a pencil, ruler and paper you can sketch out a rough plan and design and take it with you.
    The more prepared you can be, the less obstructions you will encounter.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.