All Topics / Help Needed! / Ants – whose problem is it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello

My property manager has just advised me that the tenants in one of my properties have asked that we do something about the ants. They claim that they have done “everything they can” to resolve this but without success. My PM wants to bring in the experts.

Normally I would say OK but in the year and a bit that these tenants have been in this property there have been more maintenance problems then in any property, including this one with other tenants, that I have ever had. I find them very demanding.

My question is, am I responsible for the ants problem? Also will the experts be able to provide a reasonable solution. I mean, they will find the nest and destroy it, I assume, but within 6 months there will be a new nest.?

This is a property in one of the “leafy suburbs” of Melbourne. I have already made all my neighbours happy because I recently paid for the removal of a possum that was causing a lot of noise (yes, same tenants) so I don’t want to become the local pest controller.

Any comments please?

Thanks[smiling]
    Elka

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

If the ants are bull ants or jumping jacks, tell the P.M to tell the tenants to go to Hardware House or Mitre 10 and buy a tube of ANTEX and sprinkle this around the nest. Job done. Costs about $5.00.

It may or may not be your responsibility, but COME ON, it’s only ants.
    They sound like the ‘victim mentality’ tenants to me, who can’t make a decision for anything in their lives and want everyone else to take responsibilty for their lack of effort.

By the way; you are not reponsible for the possum unless it is living in your roof.

Sounds like a hefty rent increase at the next lease signing is in order.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam
    Originally posted by L.A Aussie:

Sounds like a hefty rent increase at the next lease signing is in order.

LOL. Actually you read my mind. [smiling]

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I just killed some rather big ants in the ant nest. I used Rich Gro Ant Killer it is a sand that you pour in the nest.It took a couple of days but there are no more ants in the nest. You have to reapply it after a day as the ants will bore new holes in the ground to make alternative entrances. got it at bunnings.

If it is smaller ants use ant rid as long as no animals or kids are near it . It is a sugary liquid that the ants eat and take back to the nest and feed to the colony.

If you get rid of a possum the possum will come back or a new one will take over the old territory. A possible solution can be to buy a possum home from the RSPCA and put it in the tree and block entrances to house roof. I have four possums where I live and have had close and personal contact with them at night.

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Thank you both. Apparantly there is some sort of barrier spray that you can also use which seems to be doing the trick for the moment.

If the problem stays away for 4 weeks I will be able to apply one of your solutions myself as I will be in Melb. on a visit. Yipeeeee.[biggrin][biggrin][thumbsupanim]

Cheers
    Elka

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Originally I tried mortein barrier spray directly on the ant nest and it did not seem to have an effect on ants.

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.