All Topics / Help Needed! / What to do with significant Cash?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of lenojdlenojd
    @lenojd

Hi everyone,

I have also posted this on another forum and thought I would see what the members here would suggest.

I’m quite lucky to be in a very well off position for my age. I am 23, have cash savings of $260k (had inherited the bulk of this) and earn approx. $80k pa. at the moment.

I want to invest this wisely and I am prepayed to sacrifice now to reap the rewards later in life.

Basically I am not sure of the best course of action to invest (although at this stage, assume property). I know that I should seek the advice of my accountant at least and possibly a financial planner and mortgage broker. I will be doing this although thought this forum would give me an idea of what the general consensus is and give me a better understanding of what advice I should seek.

I know it’s a vague open ended question so have pointed out some ideas/q’s I have had:

– Will apply for FOHG and leases after the first 6 months.
    – Want to move out of home sometime early year and would be flexible with living arrangements (ie. I don’t mind living in a house/unit, renting or in something I own)
    – I am in Sydney and don’t want anything further than 10-15kms fromt the City unless I could do well out of it.

– How much should I look to spend, and subsequently borrow?
    – What are some ideas on what I should buy? A House, an inner city unit, a couple of units?
    – Based on borowing suggestions, is an IO loan a better option for me in my situation?
    – Do I borrow as little as I can and use all my cash or borrow the full purchase price?
    etc..

As you can see, I am a little unsure of how to best use the upfront cash I have, I appreciate any help and/or any recommendations on ppl (eg. advisers/brokers) to approach for some assistance!

Thanks!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You should consider buying an owner occupied home as you are considering, and then using the equity for further investments. If you intend on renting this out, and using the 6 year CGT rule, then it would be good to look at a IO loan with a 100% offset account attached. Maybe get as large a loan as possible and place excess funds in the offset.

This will keep the interest low while living in it, and allow you to take the excess funds out from the offset later without any tax implications in regards to claiming the interest.

Then depending on your circumstances you may need to consider paying down the loan and redrawing to invest further, or just using the cash to invest.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of lenojdlenojd
    @lenojd

thanks!

Yeah IO with 100% offset sounds like the way to go.. now I need to work out how much to spend/borrow etc…

Time for more reading and some calculations!

Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

Buy a Ferrari instead! Nah just jokes…good to see young people thinking about their future…i live in a mining town and most guys your age are on $100k…unfortunately they spend it all on HSV cars and grog…

Profile photo of vyaw2003vyaw2003
    Participant
    @vyaw2003

can i ask what you do? 80k = 23 years, man that is pretty good. Do you rob banks?
    Also the best advice i can give is, if you dont need to move out of home dont. It is the cheapest place that you ever live and you would get your washing and cooking and stuff done, and there are no bills.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.