All Topics / Creative Investing / How do I go about doing this?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Nathan HouareauNathan Houareau
    Participant
    @the-general

Hello

How does one and all go about claiming the investments that some people make in various educational literature that is on the market?

I mean, can one just assemble a pile of reciepts and hand that over to the accountant and he would know how, and that he has to do it?

What are the rules of engagement?
    i.e. Do we need to have at least one property under our belt?

It’s like, if you can claim it, why not right?

Could someone please enlighten me?

Regards

Nathan

Nathan Houareau
    Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

I am not sure, but I think that unless there is an income from an investment you can’t make a claim for a tax deduction. This is probably why there are no tax deductions on vacant land that has no income I suspect.

If you were to buy an I.P that produced an income in the same financial year as the literature that you bought, then I think you can make a claim for them.

Personally, I have spreadsheets and software to track my I.P’s (I like to look at the spreadsheets so I run both types of records). All my literature is recorded and I hand the records to the accountant at the end of the year. I have been doing this for quite a while, and he has never questioned the expense or asked me what it is about, or said it is not allowed.

So, being basically lazy, I haven’t asked him if the claims are, or are not valid – I just assume they are. I am not too concerned as I buy the books anyway because I like to read them and the expense is not that high.

But you should check with your accountant.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of propertypowerpropertypower
    @propertypower

Hi Nathan,
    You may find the following publication from ATO useful.
    http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/NAT1729-06.pdf
    Regards
    Sanjiv

“There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” – Nelson Mandela

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Originally posted by L.A Aussie:

I am not sure, but I think that unless there is an income from an investment you can’t make a claim for a tax deduction. This is probably why there are no tax deductions on vacant land that has no income I suspect.

Marc

You can certainly claim interest on vacant land – in certain circumstances. But I think you are correct with the other. If the expense has no relation to your current job or business, then you cannot generally claim. eg. if you are a hairdressor and study to be a cook, this cannot be claimed. Same with investing, if you want some shares, but haven’t got anyyet, then I think you could not claim expenses.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of manofactionmanofaction
    @manofaction

Nathan,

The best person to advise you on this is your accountant… that’s what you pay them for, that’s their area of expertise.

If you dont have an accountant, then maybe it’s time. [exhappy]

Enjoy

John Blackburn
    http://www.propertybooks.com.au

Profile photo of Nathan HouareauNathan Houareau
    Participant
    @the-general

Cheers Gents.
    Info intercepted and recieved.

-Nathan

Nathan Houareau
    Email Me | Phone Me

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.