All Topics / Help Needed! / Roof dilemma

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of lesleyklesleyk
    @lesleyk

I could use some advice about a roof. The property I am purchasing to renovate has an ugly , REALLY UGLY asbestos roof. I got 2 quotes today. One from a painter and one from a fellow who replaces asbestos with zincaloom. Painting will cost around $4000 and replacing will cost $8500.

I’m leaning towards replacing it as it means I can get rid of two old chimneys, the old solar HWS, and add skylights. None of which is possible with the asbestos roof.

Has anyone dealt with this sort of thing before? Will replacing it add more perceived value than it cost? I’m thinking so – asbestos is big put off for people.

I’d appreciate some feedback

warm hugs
    Lesley

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

Unsure about the perceived value. Once the roof is painted, lots of people will not notice the asbestos roof anymore. As long as the roof is not obviously rusty, most people do not have a clue what material it is or what condition it is in.

However everybody that gets a building inspection done will probably know about it.

As you said that you can get several other benefits from it, it is probably worth it.

I do not know how big the roof is, but $8,500 sounds like an awefully good deal (I am a roofing contractor), while the painting sounds on the expensive side.

Is the roof the only asbestos in the house? Often the walls and eaves are asbestos too.

The one thing that it definetly does, it makes you feel like you did the right thing and I do believe that there is something like karma out there. So even if you do not get every dollar back, I would probably still do it.

Profile photo of propertypowerpropertypower
    @propertypower

Hi lesleyk,
    Agree with bridgebuff.
    You should look at replacing the roof and take the asbestos risk-factor away from your investment. As you mentioned, it allows you to do other things like adding skylights, etc.
    The other thing you can do is negotiate with the current vendor and try and get a reduction on the purchase price due to asbestos roofing. That will hopefully reduce the gap between paint job and replacing the roof.
    Lastly, do not rely on one quote for painting and replacing roof. You should get multiple quotes to get a good indication of the cost.
    Hope this helps.
    Sanjiv

“There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” – Nelson Mandela

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Our PPOR had an asbestor roof, in really good condition, well maintained and painted, although that is only the bit you can see.

We had it replaced for two reasons –

1. Having a real estate agent in the family, we know that many people are put off by an asbestos roof because they know that replacing the roof is an expense they will be up for some time down the track. It certainly was a factor in our PPOR purchase.

2. Even though it was in great external condition, we thought that as the legislation tightens up about removal, we would bite the bullet and replace it sooner rather than let it deteriorate and have to replace it later when the costs to do so will be higher.

So we found a roofer who assured us he would do everything by the book, have the roof sheets as unbroken as possible, placed into a plactic lined truck with springklers going to dampen the dust.

Pfffft…….. The smashed it up, threw it into our yard in all size pieces, threw it into the truck and hosed it at the end. It was an absolute joke. I made sure the kids were not home, but it just made a mockery of the whole process and I felt like I was playing russian roulette with our lungs.

I would definitely think twice about buying a house with an asbestos roof.

In your circumstances, I’d bite the bullet and have it replaced now.

Wylie

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

Hi, the price sounds really good. I’ve a roof that needs replacing & the quote is 23 thousand. Mine is likely a larger area than yours but still? I’d estimate my roof to be about 200m2.

Asbestos removal costs a few thousand more to remove. I paid 4 thousand above original estimate. Don’t know how it was done. By the time I came back from overseas, the site was just clean dirt. I also made sure that I took the quote that was a fixed price contract. Don’t accept anything that has the word “variable” in it.

Good luck!
    Kum Yin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.