All Topics / Finance / These Scams

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Hi Everybody,
    I sent an email to ‘barrywire’ (one of those many loan offer posters of recent days) requesting a copy of the terms and conditions of their loans, as well as a list of the qualifying criteria they require for their loans. Here is what was sent and what came back to me:

“Hi,
    I noticed your post for loans on the Property Investors.com website.
    I am an active investor, and have 4 investment properties in Australia, but am running out of equity due to a couple of negative cashflow properties. I wish to continue buying while the prices are near the bottom of the decline in Australia, but am having trouble getting funding from the banks.
    Could you please send me an attachment of your loan product/s with some basic terms and conditions and qualification criteria?

Many thanks,”

The reply was:

“Hi Erarden,

I can see that you are seriously in need of this Loan. This firm offer loans to people with a low interest rate and that is 0.3% and the firm is world widely known, the loan is normally approved by the federal republic of this country and it will be transferred to you as soon as it is processed and approved. So I will advice you fill out this form and send it back to me as soon as you get this email so that we can proceed to the next step of this transaction
    TERMS AND CONDITIONS

* 1 The Borrower must be at least 18yrs old
    * 2 An agreement signing process must be carried out on this transaction by my attorney.
    * 3 The loan will be sent to you via bank transfer/Western union depending on your choice.
    * 4 The borrower must be willing to pay back and also sign all documents concerning the loan agreement.
    * 5 The borrower must have a good job to assure me that he/she is capable of re-paying back
    * 6 The interest rate is 0.3%

If you agree to the above terms, then fill out the form below:

Full Name:
    Personal Mobile Number:
    Address:
    State:
    City:
    Zip Postal Code:
    Sex:
    Loan amount needed as loan:
    Loan Duration:

So you are required to send this data’s so that the loan can be processed and with this , the firm will be waiting for your urgent response to this email so that we can proceed to the next step of this transaction.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks”

As you can all see, it did not even state which country the funds were being ‘approved’ by, which lending organisation, there were no fees mentioned, no loan terms etc. Very vague.
    I have sent another response; will let you know what transpires with that.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello L.A. Aussie

Having fun?

I’m waiting for them to ask you for your bank account number so that they can transfer the funds. [smiling]

Cheers
    Elka

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

So am I.
    It is good fun. I’ve been having a laugh or three with the Nigerian emails all last week as well.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Bugger.
    I was going to apply for a loan from them until I saw condition number four that says the borrower must be willing to pay the loan back !

Tools

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi

Tools, thats an unusual condition isn’t it!

These scammers could be after people’s personal information for identity theft, but they are likely to suggest the loan is approved, subject to a small application fee. Once you have paid the fee, they may announce more fees to try to milk some more money, then they disappear, never to be heard of again.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    [email protected]
    Send an email to get my newsletter.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@l.a-aussie

quick update on my loan application with ‘barrywire’. After a few attempts to get them to send me the loan application forms, and them asking me to send details ‘in order to proceed’, the correspondance stopped. Damn; I was having so much fun.
    Oh well, at least I’ve still got a few Nigerian email scams on the hook until they work out I’m pulling their chain.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

“we get sent lemons; it’s up to us to make lemonade”

Profile photo of redkewellredkewell
    @redkewell

hi everyone this is my first post, what do the nigerian emails generally say? i get tonnes of spam in my email account so i just want to know coz i will probably get one one day. thanks

@l.a-aussie

Basically, they pretend they have access to an unclaimed deceased estate of several million dollars. They tell you that you can become a part recipient of it if you agree to help them access the estate, and of course, you will need to provide details and open a bank account to have the money sent to you.
    Usually they offer you about 50% of the money, they get the rest.
    Once you agree, they ask for money for ‘expenses’ to get the ball rolling – usually a few thousand dollars.
    Then, later on, there will be a problem, whereby you need to send a bit more money to rectify this problem (quite often a bribe to an official, they will tell you).
    Very gullible people will keep sending the extra money to fix the problems, and will never see the money again. Their greed catches them out.
    Now that you know the scam, do as I do; have some fun at their expense for a while until they wise up to you and stop answering your emails.

They will usually take the form of an email with a name you’ve never heard of, with a message which goes something like; “your most urgent reply”, or as below, this one arrived just today, which simply said; “hello”;

“Hello.

You will be surprised to read from me, but please consider this letter as a genuine request from a family in dire need of your humble assistance.I am Benson Dime. A Citizen of Zimbabwe,I am now seeking political assylum. I got your contact through the Information Exchange Online.

I am the only son of Collins Dime, a wealthy black farmer and senior politician with the opposition political party in my country, Movement for Democratic Change (MDC). Our wicked President Robert Mugabe murdered my father, before I ran way from my country because I have become his next target to eliminate. My father was a fighter for Justice and a moving force in The MDC, a party wanting to end the several years of brutal Dictatorship government of President Robert Mugabe. You will read more stories about President Mugabe’s brutal acts by visiting this web site:http://www.rte.ie/news/2000/0418/zimbabwe.html

My father was accused of assisting the White farmers in fighting the government. Few weeks after his arrest, he was reported dead. The government claimed he died of heart attack and his body was never seen for proper autopsy, they buried him in the government cemetery. My father’s associate Mr. Martin Olds a White farmer from Britain assisted me in fighting my father’s death through the Court and media.

The Government saw us as a big threat to them and decided to eliminate us. Mr. Olds was attacked and murdered in his House, but fortunately, before they came looking for me, I received the news and I left the country through the border to save my life.
    Here is my reason for contacting you. Before the death of my father, he deposited the sum of Ten Million US Dollars (US$10,000,000.00) with a security company,The money was deposited as a gem/precious stone in a metal trunk box to avoid seizure and much demurrage from the security company organization. This money was earmarked for the purchase of new machinery and chemicals for the farms and the establishment of new farms in Lesotho and Swaziland.

The government seized my father’s farms and bank account before his arrest and Murder. He told me everything concerning the funds while he was still in detention. This is why I need your assistance in securing the funds there in your Country, so that I can arrange on how to come over to your country for the investment of the fund, I am willing to offer you 25% of the total fund for your assistance.as you may know that the financial law and regulations of the government does not give we assylum seekers financial rights to such huge sum of money. In view of this, The monetary policy/law does not allow such investment by an asylum seeker or refugee. Please, let me know if you can assist me, so that I can give you more details on how we shall proceed.

As I wait for your urgent Responsepls contact me with this email ([email protected]), please treat this information as top secret.

Yours truly,
    Collins Dime.”

I will have a bit of fun with good ol’ Benson for a while. Should I ask him for 60% of the money?

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

Why don’t you tell him that 1/2 is not enough, you want at least 1/3 or 1/4 of the money.

@l.a-aussie

Hey, I don’t want to appear too greedy – he might get upset. Can’t have that.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

EH??????????

Since when did 1/3 or 1/4 become more greedy than 1/2 ……..or am I missing the joke here ? [confused2]

Profile photo of HookhamCHookhamC
    @hookhamc

Come on L.A AUSSIE.
    I enjoy reading most of your comments, but now think you should get a jigsaw puzzle or something.
    [biggrin]

@l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by elkam:

EH??????????

Since when did 1/3 or 1/4 become more greedy than 1/2 ……..or am I missing the joke here ? [confused2]

It is academic- asking for any amount above what he offers is being greedy (in his eyes).

I think Bridgebuff meant to say 2/3 and 3/4?

Hey HookhamC – I know; youre right! I have to slap myself and say get a life sometimes. I’m a bit bored.

By the way, haven’t heard from my old mate barrywire for a few days. I think I upset him.

I got another one today – straight to the trash can.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of redkewellredkewell
    @redkewell

come on how can you think of asking for more money, the poor man`s father has been murdered by robert mugabe. have some compassion[laughing]
    i have actually recieved something like this before, it was from a girl with some made up story. they are good for a laugh though.
    it`s amazing that some people actually fall for these things

Profile photo of gkssingkssin
    Participant
    @gkssin

Have you noticed that guy claims to be Benson Dime and at the end of the letter calls himself Collins Dime?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.