Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of Mark.pMark.p
    @mark.p

Hi guys,

does anyone know the requirements needed to be able to rent.

I have been looking around for a 2 bedroom apartment but only to be declained, Im not sure if im doing anything wrong or is my application just not suitable.

I mean I have been working at the same place for the past 4years earn enough to cover the rent, and I also have savings etc.

but for some reason I cant seem to get a place to stay :( can anyone help me out please.

Is it because Its my first time renting and also its only myself applying for a 2 bedroom?

any comments would help thanks.

Profile photo of Kipper57Kipper57
    @kipper57

Sounds a little odd to me, not sure of your appearance, but do you dress up a liitle eg like going for an interview? Some may be a bit concerned if you are a young single person, if so maybe turn up with a respectable older person as company. For all as I know you maybe turning up in a suite already it was just a couple of thoughts.

P.S. you dont have any pets do you? as this may be a block

Wayne Skewes
    Mortgage Broker
    Email [email protected]
    http://www.eaussie.com.au/Mortgages/Aussie_Mortgage_Adviser.asp?ContentID=852280
    Refinace, Loan Consolidation, Owner Occupied or Investment Finance. Free Service I come to you!

Profile photo of Mark.pMark.p
    @mark.p

I generally wear what ever I am comforatable with.
    In saying that I wouldn’t show up in thongs and stubby shorts for an interview or a house inspection.
    Im usually wearing Jeans with a nice top.

No I have no pets and a casual smoker.

Though you maybe right about me being at a young age, though with renting you dont generally deal with the Owners of the home but with the Agents.

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

Yes, but the agents either follow instructions or have their own criteria.

The idea of going with an older person has a lot of merrit. Sometimes it also helps if you can get somebody (normally mum or dad) as a guarantor.

Where have you been living before? If you shared a house with friends, you may be able to get a reference from them and/or the agent/owner.

Another helpful thing may be to get a reference from your employer. If you have been with them for four years, they should be able to give you a good reference.

The trick is to convince the agent/owner that you are going to be a good tenant. They are afraid that you trash the place, have lots of parties, etc. Like with everything (job, credit, etc.), once you can establish a history it gets a lot easier.

Profile photo of BootlaceBootlace
    Participant
    @bootlace

You don’t live in QLD by any chance do you?

At the moment up here there is a massive under-supply of rental properties and most that become available are usually flooded with applications. They are even holding rental auctions! It is simple mathematics to work out that most applicants in this situation will be unsuccessful.

Don’t give up home and keep plugging away, you will eventually be successful, and it may just pay to check that you aren’t blacklisted on any tenancy databases such as TICA.

@mark.p

I am staying with family at the moment, but would like to have my own space.

how do you check if you are blacklisted or not? I know that I shouldnt be because this would be my first time renting.

and I reside at Sydney, looking for a place near my work.

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi Marc. Sounds frustrating. Are you actually missing out on properties for rent, or being knocked back. If it is the latter, it is true, your appearance will make a difference. (Each to their own, but sometimes you do have to look the part…) I recall doing a repair job at a real estate agent several years ago, and someone coming in, in a tshirt, unshaven, but seemed to have a nice young family, and the ‘girl’ behind the counter flatly told them no rentals were availalbe at the time. I kid you not, five minutes later a man must have phoned, and after qualifying with a couple of questions, this very same girl proceeded to explain they had several he may be interested in renting, and they looked forward to meeting him etc etc. Please do not take offense, but I thought that may be of some assistance. In all fairness, as long as someone is tidy and shaven (especially if it is a girl [biggrin]) I find it surprising that you would be having this amount of difficulty. perhaps try ringing the agents first? With your stable employment history, and situation you sound like an ideal tennant for a falt or unit I would have thought. Hope it all goes Ok for you. [strum]

@mark.p

How do I know if its been knocked back or just missing out? I did how ever ask a few agents and it seems all the same, “they owners have decided to Pick another Applicate”. how do I know if they are just saying that?

Im not worried about my apprerance as I know I like to be well dressed and gromed. : )

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

OK, your appearance is fine, so I’d say it comes down to being young and a first time renter. It means that if you and another applicant apply and both stack up, but the other applicant has a rented before and has good references and you don’t then they will most likely choose the other applicant. (As a property owner I would. You see, in general all Property mamangers usally ring the owner if there’s more than one suitable applicant and give the owner the choice). This is nothing against an individual, it comes down to looking after the investment ie: go with a known good tenant rather than risking finding out if the other guy is or isn’t a good tenant.

Yes, this is tough, with vacancy rates everywhere being low, it makes it diffcult to get a start.

The only suggestions I could give you is to do as others above have said, firstly, get the work reference and see if a parent would be willing to be a guarantor for the first place. I know you want your independance and having a guarantor feels like you’re not totally getting your independence but if it gets you a rental history then it means you won’t need this next time.

Lastly, you sound like a reponsible person in the way that you have asked for advice here etc. Have you considered buying instead of renting? It may be that it’s not currenlty affordable, but just want to check that you have checked out this option as well?

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

It is due to the current rental market. Vacancy rates are at a record low. This means rents are high and rental properties are scarce. January 2007 Australian Property Investor has an article about the long waiting lists for tenants.

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

One thing no-one ever does which will help is offer double the amount of bond and 2 months rent in advance. This will show you are serious, although is expensive up front. Maybe your parents can help out here.
    Of course, the usual things like employment references and proof of employment will help.
    Also, ask a few agents what you can do to improve your chances.
    Being a single appyling for a double may rais an eyebrow or two – they may suspect you are thinking of sub-letting, but it shouldn’t matter.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of waynes004waynes004
    @waynes004

I remember years ago every time we applied we failed. The owners or agents would take one look at us pulling up on our motor bikes and that would be it.

So we swapped the bikes for a lent car and still had some trouble as they did not like a couple of guys renting. So then what we did is one of us went with a girlfriend so it looked like a young couple and first place we got.

Maybe if you can find someone to go with you and appear to be a partner this will also add. I guess they assume people in a relationship are more stable and less likely to create havoc, its all about perception

Profile photo of businessbusiness
    Participant
    @business

If you’ve rented some where else before you can just use that as a reference. If it is private residence then it’s really just up to the landlord, but if us manged through a property mangment then they will have set requirements. You can find out the details of requirment from them.

http://www.thebusinesssuccessgroup.com/Real-Estate-Investment-training.html

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

A couple of really good ideas coming through. Here is another one:

– If you know somebody (eg a friend of your parents) that has an IP, they may be willing to give you a rental reference. But be careful that you do not go to the same agents with this reference that you told last week you never rented before.

The key is be creative. Good Luck

@mark.p

hi guys,

Thanks heaps for all your comments somthing that I will do on my next application.

PK, It was my original plan to go for a home loan but I have decided to wait until my Craa has been lifted and fixed, I have already Paid in full all my defaults but have decided to wait until the end of next year to apply for a home loan as I dont want to Pay extra rates due to these faults.

I will diffenately try and organise a guarantor, but it will be very hard because my parents have passed away and I dont want to envolve anyone with my bussiness, but I guess I will need to let go of my pride.

thanks so much for all your kind comments, and Have a great New year.

My New Years resolution is to have a Home loan by the end of 07.
    wish me luck :P

Profile photo of wilrosewilrose
    @wilrose

Hi Folks,

this is my first post….and largley prompted by response suggesting producing a bogus reference. Tut Tut!

Credibility is critical and should the agent or property owner follow thru with a check then you just might find yourself very quickly despatched to the blacklisted file.

I would endorse the other recommendations such as recruiting the assistance of an older family member or friend to visit the interview with you, (once again neat appearance, conservative would be best), a reference from your Employer and the offer of additional bond and rental in advance would be quite persuasive.

Best luck, honesty is the go..

W [thumbsupanim]

@mark.p

I dont think the agents will be looking at my craa file without my approval, but your right honesty is the way to go so if they need to check it, I will mention my defaults which are now listed and Paid in Full. Im just waiting for it to be removed which will happen by the end of november.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

if you want to know if someone is accessing your CRAA you can pay baycorp advantage http://www.baycorpadvantage.com.au and get notified when it is accessed via email and also a recent copy of what is on your CRAA. I have subscribed to this service.

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@mark.p

hey guys just another question,
    Trading Reference Australia,
    How do you know if you have been listed with them?
    or is that just an authority for the Agents to Contact my References?

cheers.

Profile photo of dbestdbest
    @dbest
    Originally posted by Mark.p:

Hi guys,

does anyone know the requirements needed to be able to rent.

I have been looking around for a 2 bedroom apartment but only to be declained, Im not sure if im doing anything wrong or is my application just not suitable.

I mean I have been working at the same place for the past 4years earn enough to cover the rent, and I also have savings etc.

but for some reason I cant seem to get a place to stay :( can anyone help me out please.

Is it because Its my first time renting and also its only myself applying for a 2 bedroom?

any comments would help thanks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.