All Topics / Value Adding / Need advice on kitchen reno

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know whether you can paint over old laminate kitchen cupboards and bench tops in a way that looks good? Or alternatively a cost effective way to do up the cupboards and benchtops without having to replace it all?

Thank you [exhappy]

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

There are paints for laminates, but I have never used them.I don’t know how durable they would be on benches, but I imagine they would be ok on vertical surfaces.White Knight make a suitable paint.

Tools

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools
    Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

Ive used the white knight stuff before. Its more a question of your preperation & painting skills than whether the product is good or not.
    It seems fairly hard wearing, but if you have spare paint its easy to fix anyway. Dont think I would put it on a counter tho.

http://www.posigear.8k.com
    Positive Geared Share Investing

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

Bunnings sells new doors for about $20 ea. Is it worth the hassle? Once you buy the primer & paint, youve paid for 4 doors already. Then consider the time wasted sanding & painting. And believe me you wont be happy with the first, second or even 3rd attempt. I did mine 8x.

http://www.posigear.8k.com
    Positive Geared Share Investing

Profile photo of Jenny1Jenny1
    @jenny1

Disagree with Crashy re White Knights paint on laminate. It is all in the preparation which didn’t take long just sanded put on undercoat on both the bench and the cupboards and I used their other product on the tiles then the top coat all looked beautiful.

Was creative on the top coat on the benches and did a marble effect. People thought that I had retiled! Benches need to cure for about 48 hours..my benches still looks good and is as hard as nails can cut on it and it doesn’t chip..

Good luck

Jenny1

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Thanks to all of you knowledgeable people who replied to my posting about painting the laminate cupboards and benchtops. Your advice has been fantastic and gives me the confidence to know what can be done.

Cheers,
    Tina[thumbsupanim]

Profile photo of teratera
    @tera

Hi artytina68,

I and my partner are in the business or renovating and selling.

If the kitchen counters are really bad we always cover them with nice shine ceramic tiles. Not large ones, but the small kind of mosaics.

Even the tops, fill the gaps, sand them and lay the tiles. It is economic, practical and it looks terrific.

Go for contrast with the cabinet doors.

You will be surprised as to how great all will look when finished.

Hope to have been able to help,

Good renovating!
    [headphone]
    chears,
    Tera

Profile photo of meridethmerideth
    Participant
    @merideth

bought a house with pink kitchen.. was wondering what to do with it to make it more attractive. ..thought of using white knight too for the cupboards .. but didn’t know what to do with the bench top.. i was thinking of buying new ones.. butttttt thanks to Tera for her idea.. sounds really good to me>>>[exhappy]

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Yes we’ve repainted laminate cupboards using the White Knight paint and it looked fantastic when done, particularily with some new chrome door handles.
    I’d get new preformed bench tops though due to the high traffic use which I imagine would scratch in no time.

AmandaBS
    http://www.propertydivas.com.au
    FREE online Property Resources

“It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of JFisherJFisher
    @jfisher

If you’re in a major city or regional centre, look up some local cabinetry makers and see if they have any post-formed laminate bench offcuts or slightly damaged benches that could be cut to fit your job. You may get a cheap benchtop that will suffice. You would be suprised how often a benchtop is accidentally damaged on job sites; we have had to replace a couple of bench benchtop blunders!
    Julie Fisher
    Daryl Fisher Homes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.