All Topics / Help Needed! / Tenancy Reference Check Questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Stuart MilneStuart Milne
    @stuart-milne

Has anyone got a list of Tenant Reference Check q’s they ask orwould ask?

I’m seeking some as a matter of priority and would like to be able to evade the “mates” references.

Emails with these would be most welcome.

Stu.

Stuart Milne

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Ask for proof of employment eg; employer’s phone number and address. However, even unemployed people get rental assistance and can make excellent tenants.
    Ask fo references from previous residences where they have rented if any.
    You can also try and ask a local agent to do a check on the Tenancy Database. This will incurr a small fee, and the agent may not want to be bothered if they are not going to be the managing agent for your property.
    Ultimately, it is hard to know what a good tenant looks or sounds like. You can’t really tell by appearances I’ve found.
    Even the nicest seeming people can be a disaster, but in general most people try to do the right thing as they have to live somewhere.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Stuart MilneStuart Milne
    @stuart-milne

Thanks Marc, I checked their employment and whilst 2 of them have only been employed short term (1 for a week and the other 2 months) they came up ok. I also checked with their current Landlord and the reason for leaving there is a genuine owner re-occupation so that came up trumps as well. Great payment and maintenance history so what can i say apart from the place is theirs for agt least 12 months…

Stuart Milne

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Profile photo of rafisrafis
    @rafis

One thing we have found. Be extremely wary of young couples. As you can expect often it doesn’t work out and one is left that cant pay the rent or has a big fight and puts holes in the walls etc.
    I can’t say don’t rent to them as we have one excellent young couple but check very closely.

Derek

Profile photo of rafisrafis
    @rafis

One other thing. Single people generally don’t mow. We try and get families for any houses. They look after the yard because they have kids that want to play in it.

Derek

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.