All Topics / Value Adding / Installation of new bath room

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of celiatsaiceliatsai
    Participant
    @celiatsai

I am looking into purchasing my first investment property. Could anyone tell me if i could fit out a brand new (basic) simple bathroom for around $2000-$3000 and any important things to look out for.[cap] How much would a reasonable tradesman cost to do the work? Thanks!!

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Yes you can do it for that.
    I did a ‘basic’ bathroom reno on a unit I have for approx $600.
    From memory, and guessing, the tiles & glue were about $150, new mirror $90, paint $50, IXLtastic fan $90, electrical work, $110, new blind $15, shower head $ curtain $30, new lino tiled floor cover $50.
    I didn’t have to install AC sheeting for the tiles to go on as the whole building is concrete/brick walls and floor.
    The bath and hand-basin were good enough to leave and it looked great at the end, and the vanity cupboards were already built in and didn’t need replacing.
    This doesn’t include my labour. I guess if you add that in you are looking at around $2k at least for someone to do it for you.
    Things to look out for –
    1. everything takes twice as long as you think to complete.
    2. make sure the paint used is the same as the paint already on the wall or it will probably peel. Or, better still; tile the WHOLE room and then there is no problem (it’s not that much more expensive than painting).
    3. look for areas of rot, or water damage in the floor (if the floor is timber) around the bath and shower after removing the floor covering. In older properties this is highly likely and you may need to cut out the affected areas and replace. (it’s not too hard to do).
    I had a lot of fun and had the time to do it. If time is a problem or if you are a high income earner, it may be more cost effective to get it done by a professional.
    At a guess you are looking at approx $25 per hour for the tradesman plus materials. You may be able to get a quote for the whole job, but if you do, get it in writing or you may find some extra surprises in the bill at the end.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

Ive been told my bathroom looks like it cost $20k…….thats great, cos it only cost me about $2k.

I bought a nice modern vanity from the auctions for $220
    I bought a 5 rail towel rail from a plumbing store carpark sale for $30, retail was $220
    I bought a massage shower from the auctions for $800
    I bought a square toilet from the auctions for $250
    I bought a huge storage cabinet from the auctions for $170
    I bought nice marble look tiles from the auctions for $10/m
    I bought a plastic bath from bunnings for $135
    I bought a real nice bath spout from Mitre 10, retail was $570, but there was a scratch on the underside so I offered $170, they took it.

We installed & tiled it all ourselves, took a week. Tiled right to the top of the walls.

Ive been to peoples houses & theyve told me they had a company do it all & spent $15k…..and honestly they are nothing flash.

If you have an ounce of skill, give it a go.

http://www.posigear.8k.com
    Positive Geared Share Investing

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Yes you certainly could do a basic makeover for 2-3 grand but this is assuming you don’t decide to alter the layout, as extra plumbing work is where you’ll really clock up the dollars. As Marc and Crashy have detailed it is possible to pick up some real bargains at the auction rooms, and if you only need a few tiles often you can pick up the end of line runs cheap. Also have a look at http://www.Xsstock.com.au a website that sells builders excess materials on-line. Also the Reno Kings have a bargain section at http://www.renos.com.au/bargains that may also be of help.

If you intend using a tradesman they usually charge around $35 p/hr although you may be safer to just get a quote for the whole job and that way it doesn’t matter how long they take.

Happy renovating!!

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of celiatsaiceliatsai
    Participant
    @celiatsai

Really appreciated everyone’s valuable advices. Thanks so much![strum]

Profile photo of GlennStakerGlennStaker
    @glennstaker

a few other ideas:

i got my vanity with semi recessed bowl and 2pac doors from ebay – $400

i got a MASSIVE rectangular mirror from lifeline for 20 dollars. – it had a crappy old copper frame on it. i removed the frame and all of a sudden i have a trendy frameless mirror!!! it looks a treat and opens the whole bathroom up. mounted with liquid nails type glue and the tiles come up to the edges of it.

other than that tiling is dead easy and i hav actually tiled over my floor tiles and it looks very good. look up “how to tile” “how to remove a vanity” on google…u will be amazed.

i did pay a guy to remove and replace my bath as once i started it looked like too big a job and my shower is over my bath so i didnt want to go for weeks without the use of a shower!!!

good luck

Profile photo of GlennStakerGlennStaker
    @glennstaker

oh and with the toilet…i left my original toilet base there and got a replacement cistern and lid from bunning for 60-70 bucks. it also includes the piece of plastic between the lid and the cistern to hide the pipe and give that modern look. it totally looks like a new toilet.

Profile photo of Stuart MilneStuart Milne
    @stuart-milne

I just did 2 bathrooms, materials cost me $3000 Approx and labour including plumbing about another $3000. these were big jobs though as I had to remove and fill a sunken shower cubicle, replaster and sheet a couple of walls, and remove three walls and a wardrobe. it also included full tiling. I’m happy to say it was worth the cash to pay for the work to be done as the ime saving was well worth the expense.

Stuart Milne

Profile photo of JenDJenD
    Participant
    @jend

We’re just about to start a total reno on a bathroom in Melbourne – and wondering if anyone can suggest any good (but reasonably priced) tradies out there – tilers, plumbers, electricians, etc (any or all would be wonderful!). We’re actually going to be renovating the entire unit – so would love recommendations for anything (builders, cabinet makers, painters, etc) – but the bathroom by far will be the most difficult. The unit is in Ormond.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
    Jen

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.