All Topics / Creative Investing / Vendor Terms/Long Term Settlement – Please Help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of papacarlopapacarlo
    @papacarlo

Hi everyone,

Here is what I have in mind (I know it is not new) and I need some clarification on how it can be done and if anyone has done it before:

I am looking for vendors who would be prepared to sell their property on following vendor terms:

1. Get 60%-70% of the sale price upfront
    2. The remainder of the money are paid in 5 years
    3. Calculate the interest on the remainder of the money (from 5% – 8% PA non compounding) and add it to the sale price of the property

For example:

Asking price 500k
    The initial payment to the vendor 300k
    Outstanding balance is 200k

There are 2 options available to the vendor:

1. I will pay the outstanding balance together with interest in one payment at the end of 5 years, in which case I will offer 8% interest on the outstanding balance calculated as following:
    200k * 8% = 16k per year
    16k * 5 years = 80k
    That brings the sale price to 580k and outstanding balance to 280k

2. I will pay monthly payments to the vendor plus the outstanding balance of 200k at the end of 5 years. In this case I can afford to pay only 6% interest:
    200k *6% = 12k per year = 1k per month payments
    That brings the sale price to 560k.

The benefit to the vendor is that he/she gets that interest in the sale price hence (in case of pricipal place or residence) it is tax free.

I understand that it will be hard to find vendors like that, but I am sure it is not impossible.

Now, here are some questions that I have:

1. Am I being too ambitious to get this terms from the vendor?
    2. Can I structure the contract in such a way that if the vendor agrees to that, I can then ask the bank to give me 80% of the final sale price (either 560k or 580k)

Look forward to your comments/suggestions/criticism

Kind regards,

Stan

Profile photo of MITMIT
    Participant
    @millionaire-in-training

Hi Stan
    My first thoughts are what vendor would sell a place now for $500 with only an end price of $560?
    But then I looked at your financing option of asking the financier to fund to 80% of potential end value.
    This seems un-workable to me as I cannot see a ny lender wanting to wear such a risk. Usually they are so conservative that we are lucky to get 80% of actual value in the current market.
    What are the risks to you if the property price falls over that period, you could end up (if a lender does come to the party) oweing much more on a property than it is really worth.
    Is it worth the risk when there are Soooooo many better dals in the market right now that would put cash in your pocket rather than take it out.

Warm Regards
    Sue

MIT | Owen Real Estate
    Email Me

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi

Don’t think you will find a lender who will lend on end value. Just on the value or the contract price, whichever is lower.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of papacarlopapacarlo
    @papacarlo

Sue/Terry,

thanks for your replies. As I was addressing the issues, I found some problems with my calculations and it seems that it is not as profitable as I thought. Back to drawing board :-(

Sue, I am looking for such deals, but I guess my brain is not trained yet to see the potential. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Stan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.