All Topics / Creative Investing / Need Help… How can I be creative with this?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of KennyboyKennyboy
    @kennyboy

I am 24 yrs old and I’m from the Philippines…
    A friend of my mother is selling a small property for around 850,000 pesos (around $17,000)… I checked out the property and it is pretty good needing just minor touch-ups here and there… It is near the Town Hall, a hospital, police station, the church and a nearly-built commercial complex… So I think its a great investment… And the place is already being rented for about a 100 dollars a month… If the bank will loan me the money with about 6%-8% interest for 15 years… How can I be creative in restructuring the deal to my advantage….

Thanks Guys….[biggrin]

Profile photo of MITMIT
    Participant
    @millionaire-in-training

Hi Kennyboy
    From waht you say and based on a 20% deposit unles you can get the rent up by a reasonable amount throught say renovating and or improving the value of the place so you can get your money back at the end of a reno. It is looking like a -22.87% CoCR.

I have also allowed only $1000 per annum to be spent on things such as council rates ( if there is such a thing) 5% purchase costs – have no idea what they might end up). I also allowed management costs of say 7%.

Even if you could buy the thing outright, there would still only be a 0.65% cash on cash return. You would be better off putting the cash you have in a Cash Management account at those return rates.

Run the numbers if it works it works if it doesn’t llok somewhere else.

Sue

MIT | Owen Real Estate
    Email Me

Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

Perhaps I missed something that Sue didn’t, but the deal looks pretty good to me. Assuming the following is correct:

Purchase Price: $17,000
    Deposit: 20% (3400)
    Loan: $13,600
    Interest Rate: 7.65% P&I for 15 years
    Property Management: 7%
    Rent: $100 per week

Annual Outgoings
    Annual Loan Repayments: $1526.88 (roughly)
    Annual Property Management: $350
    Rates/Maintenance/etc: $1000
    TOTAL: 2876.88

Annual Incomings
    Rent: 5200

Summary:
    Annual Cashflow: $2323.12 (rough)
    Yield: 30.59% (Annual rent / Purchase price * 100)

Change this to an interest only loan and your annual cashflow increases to $2809.60.

My only concerns are that I don’t know the Phillippines so there may be hidden costs, vacancy rates, etc etc.

Sue, I may have missed something, but if you outlayed 20% as a deposit, just your first years rent would be a cash on cash return of 60% (2323.12 / 3400 * 100), this is pretty darned good if you can get it.

I await the blatantly obvious to be pointed out to me, but looks like a good deal.

Profile photo of lesleyklesleyk
    @lesleyk

hi guys,
    if the loan is only for 15 years – that pushes up the repayments. Is it possible to increase the period of the loan?
    lesley

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

“I await the blatantly obvious to be pointed out to me, but looks like a good deal.”

Hello d_robb21

The problem is that the rent is $100 per MONTH not per week.

Unimaginable to us here so it’s very easy to miss.

Cheers [smiling]
    Elka

Profile photo of KennyboyKennyboy
    @kennyboy

thanks guys… I think I could increase the rent to about 3%-5% annually… Do you think thats reasonable for the tenant?

PS. I will calculate the numbers and consider your advise … thanks again

Profile photo of KennyboyKennyboy
    @kennyboy

In the Philippines… Property management is not popular, most investors here manage their own property… since its close to home and this will be my first investment, I think I’m gonna manage it myself.. And the tenant will handle both the maintenance and utilities cost so I don’t have to worry about that too…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.