All Topics / Help Needed! / Rural Subdivision

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of wayne10539wayne10539
    @wayne10539

Hi Guys

After a bit of help, i have the opportunity to invest in acreage subdivision in country WA, i know what the resale of the blocks would be, and it appears to be a good return on my gross outlay. What i am uncertain about is costs to subdivide, eg: fencing, power. establishing roads etc…

Am i biting off more than i can chew, or should i stick to smaller projects? Has anybody been involved in rural acreage subdivisions in Western Australia, that may shed a little light on costings.

Wayne

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Hi Wayne,

Factors to examine when considering a Subdivision
    • Local town planning regulations
    • Land zoning restrictions
    • Minimum size of lots
    • Access to water and sewerage services
    • Setback requirements
    • Minimum building envelopes
    • Parks and open space
    • Easements
    • Vehicle access including Council refuse collection
    • Storm water management
    • Increased noise from new development
    • Environmental and heritage issues

As each State and Council have their own rules its impossible to give you exact figure

A good website that contains a site checklist is http://www.propertydivas.com.au, along with articles about subdivision and property development.

Two great books to read are:
    “Australian Residential Property Development”
    By: Ron FORLEE
    Publisher:Wright Books, 2004

“Smarter Property Improvement”
    By: Peter CEREXHE
    Publisher:Allen & Unwin, 2004

Good luck!!

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of wayne10539wayne10539
    @wayne10539

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the info, i will check out the web site and books.

The problem with WA at the moment is, the cost to have anything done has gone through the roof, a lot of local trades people are leaving their professions and working in the mines, and contractors are having to pay tradesman top dollars to try and keep them, unfortunately this cost has to be passed on to the investor or developer.

Regards

Wayne

Profile photo of ingeborgingeborg
    @ingeborg

Hi Wayne, just from experience with the WA Planning Commission: Our rural property in WA consists of 10 titles of different shapes and sizes – some of them landlocked. We applied for realignment of boundaries to make all blocks similar sizes and facing the road (WAPC still call it subdivision). Although very simple and straight forward, the application got refused. 2 years later, after hearings and mediation we got the approval – but the property boom was over :-( Not much fun dealing with them! Also be aware of Western Power – they require underground power for newly created lots which costs a fortune. If you don't do it – you don't get approval from WAPC. Why underground power on rural blocks – I'll never know!

Inge

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.