All Topics / Help Needed! / High returns on investment

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by Mortgage Hunter:

Originally posted by kjs:

Shares – mmmmm. I must say that trying to pick growth stocks is a terrible gamble. A small window in my experience – 3 “growth” stocks that were showing a 98% loss in my commsec position statement a few weeks ago. Scary. I would challenge even the worst Sydney property story to show a 98% loss! I am talking about one stock being 10% owned by Gerry Harvey. Tell me he is not a person that would make you think that a company had a good prospect? One of the other stocks is 9.4% owned by Linfox share investment pl I went for growth stocks after seeing the blue chip performance where aristocrat went from $6 to less than $1. It is now over $15.

You can borrow against your good stocks to buy speculative, and you can have some luck, but overall, I think stocks are scary. My opinion only, and I acknowledge that while also acknowledging the stories of others.[worried]

kjs

Wow – that certainly hasn’t been the story in my portfolio. I am holding about 7 stocks and only one is lower than my purchase price and that is Telstra.

Your growth stocks must have been on the speculative end of the range.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Thanks for all the info Simon. I have just read all the posts since my last one. I was interested to hear that you don’t have a ‘ceiling’ figure on your stocks, but obviously you have found that to work well.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

[/quote]

Thanks for all the info Simon. I have just read all the posts since my last one. I was interested to hear that you don’t have a ‘ceiling’ figure on your stocks, but obviously you have found that to work well.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]
    [/quote]

A ceiling simply means you are selling a rising stock and holding those which are yet to rise to the ceiling.

How is this a winning strategy?

[blush2]

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Viewing 2 posts - 21 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.