All Topics / Help Needed! / L.A Dreamin’

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Hi All,
    sit down, grab a coffee – this will be long. I will try to cover the whole USA generally, but my main knowledge is L.A and a couple of other places. If you have questions I will try to answer as best I can.
    First, to buy property here you need to have a ‘credit score’. To get one you have to have debt – car loan, credit card etc. and you have to have a history. From this everyone has a credit report, or score. The better your history, the higher your score, and the lower your interest rates are for housing loans and car loans etc.
    When I arrived I paid cash for a car, as I was ineligible for finance (I knew this would be the case before I came), then opened a bank account and applied for a credit card, but was told by the bank I could not get a ‘normal’ cc for around 10 months. (I met an accountant here who told me to take out a loan on my fully owned car to get a credit score – yeah, right).
    I could get a ‘secured’ cc which is exactly like a savings account where you deposit funds, then it is treated like a cc for the sake of your credit report.
    I operated for the first 10 months without one, and never bothered to try and get one in the end as I saw what was happening in the r/e market here in L.A, and I have something going in Australia that I need funds for soon.
    Basic Overview of L.A –
    Average 3 bed house has doubled in price over last 5 years. L.A has had similar boom period to Australia – the average price for 3 bed house in greater L.A is now between $800k for demolition standard, to $2 mill. This is as of now. 3 months ago there was nothing for under $1mill that didn’t need a serious reno. When I first arrived 14 months ago in the height of the boom I enquired about an average 3 bed house near my apartment – $850k was the asking price – it lasted 4 days. At this time people were ‘flipping’ properties.
    In the last 5 years real wages for the middle class have not gone up at all across the U.S, but rents have (and everything else). However they have not kept pace with the capital growth, so right now, even after the slump, the rent returns are pitiful (in my opinion).
    To give you an example; a friend of mine is renting a 2 bed, 1 bath house in Cheviot Hills, L.A (similar to say; Glen Iris in Melbourne – nice area) for – wait for it – $4,000 per month! Yes, I know – he is mad and yes, I have told him so. He wanted room for the kids.
    It has tiny front and back yards and a tiny, old wooden detached garage. Interior of house is very nice, but original.
    The owner is trying to sell at the moment. It was listed 3 months ago for $1.4 mill. She declined an offer of $1.2 mill soon after, the last offer was $950k about a month ago, which is approx what she paid for it a year ago. Yes; she missed the boat – greedy.
    Let’s crunch a few numbers:
    $950k purchase price (could be more and I haven’t included closing costs).
    80% loan @ 6.5% interest only (I guess) – $49,400 per annum.
    Property Tax @ 1.1% of property value – $10,450 per annum (this is a USA wide tax).
    Repairs/maintenance/insurance/management etc – 20% of rent – $9,600 per annum.
    TOTAL COSTS PER YEAR – $69,450.
    RENT INCOME PER YEAR – $48,000
    Negative Cashflow – $21,450 per year. Ouch!
    Now is a good time to buy if you are a capital growth investor, as the prices will go up again eventually, but the holding costs are a killer.
    The only good thing about this situation is that there is still so much demand for housing in L.A that the rent will only keep going up, and the capital growth over the long term will always be very good.
    The problem is the entry level is so high. Even a 2 bed apartment built around 1980 will be $500k , in a decent area, with no real depreciation allowances to soften the blow.
    Across the nation foreclosures are exploding, but they don’t go much cheaper as there are tv ads every hour telling you where to find them. Same on the internet, but you need to subscribe to the sites. There are many properties coming on the market, hence the price drops, but they are still selling to investors who are cashed up and can shoulder the debt. The average family cannot afford to buy in L.A. anymore, and they are being squeezed out by the rents.
    Everyone is moving here for the weather, the opportunity and the hype. It is actually an overcrowded pig-swill full of tossers and wankers and I can’t wait to leave and head for the desert. Or maybe San Diego – it’s nice there, but a similar r/e story.
    Like Australia there are boom areas in other parts of the country, but, like Australia, the latest run of interest rate rises has killed a lot of the momentum. Places like Buffalo, Pittsburgh and areas near the great lakes which were underpinned by the struggling steel industry have great rent returns, but the capital growth is very limited, or even negative – like the population growth.
    Another couple I know just moved back to Pittsburgh (to be near family), and are looking to buy a house there. They can buy a really tidy 3 bed, 2 bath house with an attached interior entry 2 car garage for about $120k and no-one is buying them.
    These sorts of areas have high unemployment and are cold/freezing for 6 months of the year, so people are moving to the sun. All this creates higher vacancy rates, although there are some investors out there who own properties in Buffalo and the like, who would disagree probably.
    I think that will do for now – it’s nearly midnight.
    Looking forward to the discussions tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

I am based in San Antonio in Texas. Unlike LA there is still strong growth here and plently of opportunities. It is still easy to buy positive cashflow properties here. However you need to be careful. I have been shown first hand terrible properties in the worst streets here that have been sold to Australian investors by Australians. Some of which I am told post on this site.
    I run John Notzon Realty and are setting up an investment company. If anyone wants to invest here do your homework carefully and take the time to travel here. I will only to happy to show anyone around should they wish to come.

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au
    check out my new web site

Australian and New Zealand The United States Property Researcher and education

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by Nigel Kibel:

I am based in San Antonio in Texas. Unlike LA there is still strong growth here and plently of opportunities. It is still easy to buy positive cashflow properties here. However you need to be careful. I have been shown first hand terrible properties in the worst streets here that have been sold to Australian investors by Australians. Some of which I am told post on this site.
    I run John Notzon Realty and are setting up an investment company. If anyone wants to invest here do your homework carefully and take the time to travel here. I will only to happy to show anyone around should they wish to come.

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au
    check out my new web site

Australian and New Zealand The United States Property Researcher and education

Good to hear that there is some growth there Nigel;
    what are the factors fuelling the growth?
    Can you give us an example of the positive cashflow properties you mentioned. Are you an ex-pat or an American?

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Hi Marc,
    Thanks for the interesting update. I take it you believe the worst of the falls in your area are already behind you(?), which is also interesting. My news tends to come from bearish sources, so I appreciate a counter view.

Have you noticed that detailed data and statistics are more readily available there than they are in Aus? The newspaper reports often look at details, rather than simple medians, eg:

“The number of properties sold in XX county in the September quarter was XXX, a 38% drop from a year ago. Meanwhile the number of properties listed for sale climbed 79% to XXX. This represents 14 months of inventory at the current rate of sales.”

This kind of data I imagine provides valuable insight for local investors – the ‘months of inventory’ should be a pretty good leading indicator (whilst it grows, supply is outstripping demand).

Given that you’re not an owner I don’t know if you can shed any light on my other curiosities but perhaps somebody can give some insight to these questions:

• What is the current rate of interest on 30 year fixed loans?
    • Are these still the most popular loans or have ARMs taken over?
    • Compared to Syd/Melb circa 2003 how intense was the investment/flipping competition for homes?
    • Are/were auctions or listing sales more popular?
    • How do the buy/sell costs and processes compare to here?
    • How homogenous is the ‘market’ say, in Cali? Are there a large proportion of luxury properties with high prices and a large proportion of standard properties with affordable prices? An even spread? A close spread around the ‘median’?
    • Do the young/those without houses feel priced out and angry?

Yep, I have much curiosity. Thanks for your post Marc.

Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

Hi foundation,
    you are right; the property journos do like to put more detail into the reports than our guys back home. There is no shortage of facts and figures on property over here. I just haven’t been reading a whole lot other than the obvious.
    I think there is still more ‘correcting’ to come over here; especially if there is another rate rise. The xmas spending cycle might bring that on.
    Now for the questions..
    1.The current 30 year fixed rate is 6.125-6.250%
    2.Don’t know the answer to the second one. Considering that the rates here have been low for a number of years, you would assume the ARMs would be still popular, but with 3 rate rises in a row maybe people are getting scared and are locking in.
    The biggest business here from what I can tell is refinancing to Lines of Credit, but the average punter is using them to refinance consumer debt and then using the extra equity for more glorious spending, or maybe a reno on the PPoR. The average American now spends 120% of their income (mostly on doodads).
    3. Don’t know the answer to no.3, but there are lots of spruikers and wealth creation experts on the tv and airwaves, so I guess there would be a good proportion of those types of investors around, helping to fuel the boom.
    4. Auctions are not popular – maybe everyone has woken up to the scam here. I heard a story about a movie star who put his house up for sale, and each agent was allowed to bring through ONE perspective buyer. I must try that one day; all I need is a house expensive enough for that behavior!
    5. Nigel from San Antonio is probably better qualified to anser no.5 From my limited perspective, it seems that a $200k house will cost about $5.5k in costs approx. In L.A $200k will get you a garage.
    There are large number of expensive houses here. The mere fact that it is a house and not an apartment makes it so. However, my guess is that as in Aus, there will always be more sales in the lower end. The problem is, there is no low end.
    6. It’s strange; it’s almost as if the young in L.A have the mindset that owning is beyond them, so they just accept renting, hope to make a fortune and then buy somewhere down the road. It doesn’t seem to be the ‘American Dream’ like it does in Aus. The younger gen are more interested in buying the most expensive/apperance car/handbag/shoes they can afford instead. There is a percentage that are angry, but it’s more the family types that are this way – people around the 35-45 year old age.
    One thing that people are in tune with here moreso than Aussies is the cost of renting versus the cost of owning. Many people know it is cheaper to rent in L.A, so they do that and put their spare cash in the shocks and scares market. Mutual Funds are all the rage here and all the investment talk in the media/tv is the Stockmarket. They even televise the ‘opening bell’ at Wall st each morning for christ’s sake! You see these vampires in suits standing around applauding while one of their cronies rings the opening bell to start the days’ trading. how cheesy.
    Anyway, I hope this answers a few more questions.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.