All Topics / Help Needed! / SE QLD- Toorbul- Land 4 Sale- Deal sounds good!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of NSW_MiagNSW_Miag
    @nsw_miag

Hello,
    I wanted some opinions on SE QLD- Toorbul. I have found some land 4 sale rather cheap, and wanted to know what anyone thought of the area.
    I have spoken the estate agent and the area sounds nice. I could probably get the land for under $200k which is pretty good for SE QLD.
    http://www.creekside.com.au/properties_view.php?prop_id=2190

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Have you checked flood levels?

Profile photo of BootlaceBootlace
    Participant
    @bootlace

Toorbul is a funny old place….

As the crow flies it is not too far off the beaten track, but it seems to take ages to get anywhere from there! For instance you could virtually throw a stone across the passage to Bribie Island, but to drive there takes the best part of 30-35 minutes. It really is quite isolated. Caboolture is the nearest major centre.

Toorbul in all honesty is primarily just a small fishing township, a large proportion of Brisbane’s oysters come from Toorbul also.

Things to watch out for are flooding as has been pointed out, the whole area is rather ‘swampy’. For some reason Toorbul always seems to suffer badly during storms which are common in the summer. But the number 1 and 2 things to watch out for are…

Mosquitoes and Sandflies! There are milllions of the things in Toorbul and surrounding areas. You just can’t escape the little buggers!

In summary, it’s not an area i would personally live in. It may be a nice area to have a caravan and take a monthly trip up to go crabbing or something but any longer and the novelty would start to wear off quickly. The standard of the permanent residences there are also sub-standard (with some exceptions) on the whole and if you wanted to construct a rental property on the land rental yields are woeful at present.

It really is hard to describe, it is a strange old place. If you haven’t visited Toorbul before i’d highly recommend a visit before making any property purchases.

Maybe consider Bribie Island instead, property is still relatively reasonably priced with far better facilities and an infinately better transport network. Not to mention virtually anywhere on Bribie is within 5 minutes of a good surf beach. Toorbul may be close to the water but it’s still 40 minutes (at least) from the surf and the ‘water’ that i speak of in reality is closer to smelly mud flats.

Jamie

Profile photo of NSW_MiagNSW_Miag
    @nsw_miag

thanks jamie, good summary, but i am about Half a million short of affording anything on Bribie. I might get up there this weekend and check it out.

Profile photo of mopsyblossommopsyblossom
    @mopsyblossom

there is also a nudist camp there , wonder how they go with the flies and mozzies….. and before you ask, I only know this because I took a wrong turn along a dirt road and saw the sign, Sunshine, sunvalley or sun something and went in to ask directions…. at least he had a nice smile…

@nsw_miag

i will be sure to look for that road while there on the weekend.

Participant
    @bootlace

Personally i’d prefer something like this on Bribie.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=103427613&f=10&p=10&t=res&ty=&fmt=&header=&c=30136837&s=qld&snf=rbs&tm=1163749292

Quite a few older homes in the Bellara/Bongaree region for mid 200’s, it’s just my opinion but unless you have a particular affinity for the Toorbul lifestyle, these would offer greater potential.

@nsw_miag

leaky roof? You must be trying to sell it :)
    I will have a look in that area as well, thanks.

Participant
    @bootlace

Haha no, i actually used to live in the area and know the house, that was the only reason i singled it out. No doubt there are many better buys, i was thinking primarily of the land value rather than the dwelling anyway, i’m a bit peculiar in that way!

Anyway hope it goes well and you find something suitable, be sure to let us know how it goes :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.