All Topics / Help Needed! / Reclaiming Settlement Fees

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of sam2009856sam2009856
    @sam2009856

Hi There

I am just wondering we you can claim settlement fees back for eg. stamp duty ect? is it after you have held the property for 5 years?

Also, I know improvements are not a tax deducation but what if you have to repaint a property because its tacky and flooboards need rebuffing????

Thanks

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi there

No sure exactly what you mean “claim back settlement fees etc”.

If however you are referring to the general costs of purchasing i.e Contract stamp duty etc then you can add these to the cost base as well as any improvements when you are calculating CGT on an IP.

If i am way off the track please redefine your question and we will try and assist further.

Cheers

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker.
    Licensed Financial Planner. Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]
    Looking for life cover – We Guarantee to beat any quote you have in writing.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by queengucci:

Hi There

I am just wondering we you can claim settlement fees back for eg. stamp duty ect? is it after you have held the property for 5 years?

StampDuty….nope, see 007’s post; Bank Fees etc can be amitized over 5 years, or if you refinance before then they can be added into that FY and the new loan gets amatized

Also, I know improvements are not a tax deducation but what if you have to repaint a property because its tacky and flooboards need rebuffing????

If immediately after purchase……then consider it the cost of doing business and getting it to a rentable state;

If after 12 Months (you may be able to do it earlier, query your accountant though if I were you) then sure…IMO and what i usualy work too so i hope the above is correct

Thanks

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Online Positive Cashflow and Renovating Calculators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.