All Topics / Help Needed! / New House

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of george1955george1955
    @george1955

My Wife and i have bought a house that we want to move into, it settles in early December however there is a tenant in there and their lease expires in April 2007. they have just signed a 6 month lease just before we signed the contract to buy. My wife and i would like to move in on settlement, however there is a lease in place that cannot be broken except by way of negotiation. i am thinking of offering them $600 to move out and break the lease, has anyone got any sugestions please?

Profile photo of marg4000marg4000
    @marg4000

I would suggest that you make an appointment to talk to the tenants and see if they are open to an offer to move earlier. Sadly for you the ball is in their court, you must honour their lease.

My son and his mate were renting a unit which was sold. The new owner came to see them, told them a sob story that he was living with his in-laws, could not stand it, and asked if they would mind leaving early. The sweetener for the tenants was a guarantee to return the bond in full and also that they did not have to clean the unit (2 young males sharing) as he was going to renovate. Both moved back home!!

Talk to the tenant and find out their situation. Point out that they will have to move in April anyway, and that you are prepared to reimburse some of their moving expenses. A lot will depend on whether they are new tenants or had renewed their lease. If they have just been through the hassle of moving then they will be reluctant to leave.

Be very careful in your approach – if there is a property manager involved then it may be best to let them handle it. You must not appear to be hassling the tenants – that is probably illegal.

Good luck!
    Marg

Profile photo of JETTJETT
    @jett

Might not be your problem.

Did your contract have a clause stating that vacant possession of the property is to be given at the time of settlement. A pretty standard clause. If it did its the vendors problem.

Also not to sure how it works, but your name would not be on the lease with the tennant.

Check your contract

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.