All Topics / General Property / housing shortage 1000 people a week into qld

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of AlwayslearningAlwayslearning
    Participant
    @alwayslearning

Queensland goverment states min 1000 a week into qld over next 20yrs creating housing shortgage with vacancy rates at around 1%

queensland is still a very attractive state to invest in .

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

But how many are leaving per week?

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

yes Terry! I wonder the same thing. I have never seen any stats on people leaving the state and I know for a fact that many southerners come up here, find it too hot and miss their families and return to Vic within a couple of years.

Perhaps the effects of global warming will cause a population boom in TAsy.

In any case the government here in Bris are planning infastructure to support a population growth so there must be something in it. As for me, I love waking up to a sunny day. It’s good for my mental health. Beats me why anyone would live in a wet miserable climate when they can have blue skies and sunshine 95% of the time.

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Geeeeeeeeeee I hope they are bringing there own water with them

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Yer it would be good if someone quoted the ‘nett’ migration….

I have heard this mentioned before, and essentially its overstated regarding the southeners moving north.
    Having said that, it is becoming obvious over the last two yrs that we have been travelling up to Qld that it is getting pretty congested on the roads around Bris/Sunshine Coast.

kp

Profile photo of prcbryce1prcbryce1
    @prcbryce1

Agree with the roads guys. 1000 a week would be right, but the infrastructure is struggling. Odds on that Brissy will bet the first capital city in Oz to introduce Congestion Tax.

It’s the only way they are going to get the cash to bail out the infrastructure needed to support the ever crwoding roads. That will then help with property in the outlying areas.

Prcbryce

Profile photo of ttmanttman
    @ttman

Milly,
    ‘Beats me why anyone would live in a wet miserable climate when they can have blue skies and sunshine 95% of the time’.

Wondering which city you refer to – sunshine 95% of the time I mean ?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I live in Vic and would move in a flash to QLd but my Wife was raised in Tassy and doesn’t cope well with heat and humidity.

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Bo_D_Bo_D_
    Participant
    @bo_d_

Lived in SE QLD all my short life. and i could honestly stay here for the rest of it as well. Great place. though who knows where the future will take me [biggrin]

As for the roads, yer getting much busier. And i dont think they care about how many people leave QLD because its probaly very small compared to the ‘1000’ coming in.

Profile photo of mcdeyessmcdeyess
    @mcdeyess

Here are some recent net migration figures for various states. Unfortunatley it isn’t broken down by city [glum]

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/0e5fa1cc95cd093c4a2568110007852b/6949409dc8b8fb92ca256bc60001b3d1!OpenDocument

Basically for QLD it says that numbers are down from last year. As I see the math this is about 515 (Net) people moving to QLD each week last year – what % move to the SE??? Then you would have to add to that migration from overseas. Certainly the graph at the bottom shows QLD as the major destination still.

Ohhh I found some overseas net migration figures http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/39433889d406eeb9ca2570610019e9a5/6a8f1b1a1f70ae1aca256e5a00756134!OpenDocument

for QLD this looks to be about 568 people a week, once again though nothing SE specific

Why not too. I moved here 4 years ago from Canberra. No way I am ever going back south!!! This truly is god’s country [thumbsup2]

Cheers,

[email protected]

Profile photo of WinstonWolfeWinstonWolfe
    @winstonwolfe

Thanks for posting that stuff Macca. I often refer southerners to it when arguing that they continue to shift their welfare burden to Qld.

Qld has a long history of receiving southern welfare class and retirees. And why not…better to be unemployed or old, in the sunshine and warmth, then somewhere cold and wet.

In the last 15 years, there was an increase in young families moving here to escape rising house prices and cost of living in Vic and NSW. In fact last year the RBA encouraged young people to move out of Sydney.

I just hope the Fed govt takes Qld’s rapid and sustained net interstate migration into account in apportioning funding of infrastructure $.

As for how this effects property demand and prices, all very interesting.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.