All Topics / Value Adding / Which is more suitable for rental and value adding

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Pete_05Pete_05
    @pete_05

I have recently bought an old 1950’s style weatherboard which i am currently renovating, I have spent many nights wondering which is the best option for a rental property in terms of the kitchen, is it best to get a durable cheap kitchen or a more expensive style kitchen to attract more tennants, possibly more rent, increase the value of the house?

I can get one brand new for 2500-3700 which is your very basic kitchen, or do I get these new kitchens for 4500 with granite bench tops and vinyl wrap doors worth 10k in shops.

Profile photo of dutchiedutchie
    @dutchie

Good question.

I would look round for seconds store and pay around $3K for a kitchen worth around $6K.

There are a few of these in Melbourne.

Do a google or yellowpages search in your area….:)

Profile photo of chpropdevchpropdev
    Participant
    @chpropdev

For what it’s worth, my advice is to go for a relatively cheap kitchen that looks the part if you’re house isn’t aimed at the upper end of the rental market . Tenants will treat your kitchen pretty harshly so after a few years you’ll regret the outlay on the exxy kitchen.

I use flat pack kitchens from Bunnings. Not the very basic one but the next step up – I think they are called Flatpax. They look pretty good, have excellent carcasses, and are relatively long lasting. I spent about $3k on the last one I put in. The good thing about them is that if you do get crappy tenants, you can keep the carcasses and just replace doors and the post form tops.

The only downside of the Bunning Flatpax kitchens is that you have to get the corners (if you have any) of the preformed tops cut at a joiners. Make sure you get him to biscuit join it so that it lines up well. And make sure you put a line of silicon in the join before squeezing it togethr – otherwise the top will swell within weeks.

To save yourself money, avoid corners, isle benches, wall units (unless kitchen is tiny), too many draws and expensive white goods (I scour the locals for a good clean white upright stove if the house didin’t come with one). Also don’t go mad with splashbacks – a single line of bumpy whites (or something similar) is fine. Three high over the cooker though. Also, sinks can be very exxy – stick to Bunnings stock sinks. They look fine. Do paint your kitchens in high quality washable paint too. And keep some as well to touch up between tenants.

Hey that was a bit of an essay!

Hope that helps.

Almor

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

if it really is going to be a long term rental the second hand or cheaper kitchen is the way to go – if you have time on your hands you can find a second hand kitchen for around $500
    and get a tradies to spend a couple of days fitting the thing

if selling get a new one – go the fanciest showroom in town – pick one out and source the material to build it elsewhere for about 40% of the price alot of the components all come from the same places.

http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

if it really is going to be a long term rental the second hand or cheaper kitchen is the way to go – if you have time on your hands you can find a second hand kitchen for around $500
    and get a tradies to spend a couple of days fitting the thing

if selling get a new one – go the fanciest showroom in town – pick one out and source the material to build it elsewhere for about 40% of the price alot of the components all come from the same places.

http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.