All Topics / General Property / Making offers on property? % below listing price

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of ZumaZuma
    @zuma

I was going to post a similar question to this one, but this thread gave me some interesting information.

There’s an under-construction property I like — an apartment in a new 6-story — and they have it listed at $360k. I assume that’s higher than they’d accept, but I don’t know how much higher.

Someone suggested I start by offering $100k less, and let them come back with a counter offer to get things rolling, but that seems lot. And someone else told me that not all agents will do counter-offering, especially if you start low.

Seems that there’s probably no standard approach. Every situation is different and if you take the wrong tact it’s just bad luck.

Rowan.

Profile photo of wayne10539wayne10539
    @wayne10539

Hi Zuma,

100k offer first up would appear to be a bit low on a property listed at 360k, what i have found that is generally 10% is added on to the desired sale price to allow for the negotiating process. Some projects have a set price from the developer, dictating terms and deposits.

It is not up to the agent if a counter offer is to be submitted, the agent is only a mediator between the vendor and the buyer, and should be working for the vendors interest at all times.

In our agency you may have an rep working for the buyer and a seperate rep working for the vendor. This minimises the likelyhood of a rep not acting on behalf of the vendors interest, buy selling a property lower than what may have been achieved.

I hope to have success with your offer.

Regards

wayne10539

Profile photo of ZumaZuma
    @zuma

I ended up suggesting $290k, more as a starting point than anything serious. But they gave a flat no, didn’t come back with a counter offer.

Oh well, will keep saving.

Rowan.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

Ive had similar responses lately. Put in offers & flat no without counter-offer. I find it rude. If they are not prepared to negotiate I walk away. If they were smart they would counter offer $1k below asking price.

http://www.posigear.8k.com
    Positive Geared Share Investing

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by crashy:

Ive had similar responses lately. Put in offers & flat no without counter-offer. I find it rude. If they are not prepared to negotiate I walk away. If they were smart they would counter offer $1k below asking price.

http://www.posigear.8k.com
    Positive Geared Share Investing

I think a flat ‘no’ is the counter-offer. Now it’s your turn. They are trying to keep the upper hand I suspect.
    I agree with DLPP though; don’t waste too much energy on one property with an inflexible Vendor. Move on to the next one who may be more flexible. There are plenty more to buy.

Cheers,
    Marc.
    [email protected]

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.