All Topics / Help Needed! / Split up with partner.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of alcoopalcoop
    Participant
    @alcoop

Hi everyone, nice forum.

In January 2005 i paurchased an investment property on the gold coast with my then girlfriend. A year later we split up and she said she can’t afford to contribute to the property anymore. I told her I will pay it as we would have lost money if we sold it at around the same price we bought it for. I have since applied for a loan in my own name so she can be removed from liability and also the title.

My solicitor is saying that transferring the title from both of our names to only my name is still going to attract stamp duty on the half that im purchasing from her even though im paying her no money? Is this correct? Isn’t there some other way of doing this? Getting an agreement written up for example?

Im contemplating just selling it now as its only worth about 260k, it was purchased for 250k and with all the fees to change the name coming to about $5000 I may as well just cut my losses.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Cheers

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Selling costs would possibly be similar to the SD.

Reconsider your goals before making a decision.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of JohnSmithJohnSmith
    @johnsmith

As Simon said

Consider all costs, including agent fees, and your goals.

AND
    Its not about what it is worth now, its about is it worth keeping into the future – do your due diligence on the area. Do you think that it is worth keeping an investment property on the gold coast?

IF not then sell

Regards
    John

Inspired Finance
    (02) 9944 7776

[email protected]
    http://www.inspiredfinance.com.au

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I beleive that if you can get a family court order, then the transfer can be done without stamp duty. But as you are not married, maybe this is not possible?

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.