All Topics / Help Needed! / Building permit crime

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of as41as41
    Participant
    @as41

I have just enquired to my local council about whther I need and planning and/or buildling permit for a carport….I DO NOT need a planning permit BUT i DO NEED a buildling permit which will cost $500. Considering my dad was going to build it for us, thats about 50% of of the cost for a building permit!!!! RIP off or what…. Whats a building permit for anyway….. [inlove] NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!!

Snowflake

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Hmm, you’re in Vic, right? The new rules should exempt free-standing structures such as carports providing they don’t exceed 10m^2… I wonder whether you could build 2 or 3 ‘very close’ together?
    [fear]

Probably not.

F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of as41as41
    Participant
    @as41

Hi “foundation

WHAT NEW RULES!!!!
    [inlove]

Snowflake

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by as41:
    WHAT NEW RULES!!!!
    [inlove]

You’ve pretty much always been allowed to build sheds/carports less than 10m square. Bear in mind, that’s not big enough for a single car garage.

Refer to “Building (Interim) Regulations 2005”, schedule 8, which states:

Description of building or building work exempted from building permit and occupancy permit
    1 A freestanding Class 10a building that—

(a) has a floor area not exceeding 10m2; and

(b) is no more than 3m in height; and

(c) is appurtenant to a building of another Class on the same allotment; and

(d) is located no further forward on the allotment than the front wall of the building to which it is appurtenant; and

(e) is not constructed of masonry.

Note: The consent of a service authority may be required to construct a Class 10a building 10m2 or less in area over an easement vested in that authority under another Act.

Source

But for a few years, the standard Vic planning provisions have required that a planning permit still be issued for such buildings (which include DIY sheds from bunnings, cubby-houses etc.)
    Clearly that was silly, and many people were breaking rules that should never have existed in the first place, so the gov’t decided to simplify the permit process:

PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE VICTORIA PLANNING PROVISIONS
    AND PLANNING SCHEMES

No permit is required for:
    Minor domestic buildings and works normal to a dwelling, including an open-sided pergola, an open-sided verandah, an outbuilding less than 10 square metres in floor area and less than three metres high, decks with a floor level less than 800 mm above natural ground level and a cellar. This does not apply to the construction or extension of a room of a dwelling

Source

So that was the source of my suggestion that you might just be able to get away with having a number of small carports *very close* together.

But probably not.

Note that these were “proposed changes”… I’m not sure they’ve been enacted.
    Cheers, F. [cowboy2]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.