All Topics / Value Adding / Brick Cladding

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of npumpkinpumpki
    @npumpki

I have an old fibro 2 bedroom house, I’m planning to turn it into a brick veneer, has anyone done it before and any idea of the costing involve?

dave

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Why? Are you trying to add value for a reason?

I reckon fake brick looks awful.

Fibro houses that are bricked up look nearly as bad.

There are other materials. Have you considered rendered blueboard?

For the cost of the exercise would the money be better spent on buying another fibro place so you have two money machines working for you in place on one albeit tarted up?

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of npumpkinpumpki
    @npumpki

I see your point there, my strategy is buy-hold, fibro has to be painted all the time, BV also increase value for either sell/re-finance

what is rendered blueboard, is it like cement rendering?

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

Apply a good quality white paint and it will last! I have never seen a retro fitted ‘brick veneer’ that looks good. I would suggest that you may actually lose some appeal if you tried. Another idea that seems to add to the appearance of a fibro house is to apply horizontal weatherboard half way up the sides. You can even just do the front of the house for street appeal. If you landscape with advanced plants you can improve the overall appearance of any house but a cleaver design can work wonders on a fibro. There is money to made on fibros because they do not appeal to a lot of people and cost less. Some careful painting and gardening can improve things quickly especially if you are going to rent it out rather than sell.

Profile photo of Nathan HouareauNathan Houareau
    Participant
    @the-general

Npumpki

Don’t know what you have decided to do with the property, but if your are going to renovate, be sure to check for possible asbestos.

Hopefully you either know this or you will have read this post before you go ahead.

If you are renovating, your local council should be able to guide you as to where to find someone who can do the inspection.

Regards

Nathan

Nathan Houareau
    Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

There is an alternative to the brick veneer or even the blueboard with render.

There is a product called a smart brick that is manufacture by Aus Brick .
    It is a half brick with a slot along the bottom edge.
    It gets fitted to a steel rail that you attach to the timber frame ( after removing the boards) and then you fill the gaps in between with a mastic gun.
    FIiish is like a full brick, no bricklayer skills required, ( the bricks slot into the rail) ie DIY. Maybe worth looking into?

kp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.