All Topics / Help Needed! / Bad Craa is there a way around it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of Mark.pMark.p
    @mark.p

Hi all,

Im new here and have just finished reading Steve’s book.

Im 24 and Looking at buying a property,
    at the moment im looking at buying a property just so I can own my own home, and maybe in the future buy more as an investment.

During my time as a teen I have had some Hard times with money which has lead my Craa with a default.

Now my default will be removed by the end of next year, but my question was is there anyway around this craa??

and what are the chance of a 24year old getting a h/l with just his name on it.

-cheers[jerry]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You can get a loan if you have the deposit, no question about it really. The only problem you may encounter is higher deposits and/or interest rates.

How bad is your credit file? If it is a small default, it may not have much of an effect.

What sort of deposit do you have? estimated LVR etc.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of JohnSmithJohnSmith
    @johnsmith

Terry covered that well.

Just to add –

The worse the default the more you end up paying in rate.

The fact you are addressing it, definitely helps. From what you have written, where default is paid off by end of year 2007, it sounds like you may be paying it off. If so approach them to ask if they can remove it now. If you are paying it off, they may do so, and it does not hurt to ask.

Regards
    John

Inspired Finance

[email protected]
    (02) 9944 7776

Profile photo of Mark.pMark.p
    @mark.p

Wow,

I have only just signed up and I am already pleased with all the help.

thanks heaps guys.

At the moment I have 10k, I am tosing a coin between using it to buy a car while I wait for my craa to be fixed and start saving again,

or

Save the funds and try to get a home loan while saving more.

My prefered choice would be the Home loan as I was looking at gettng a car with that home loan as well as a home.

any suggestions would be appreciated, as you can tell im new to this game and would like to know more.

thanks.[jerry]

@johnsmith

We can’t give advice on what to do, but…..

2 Major purchases in a persons life are a house, and a car.

One normally increases in value.
    The other normally decreases in value.

Only you can answer if a car may be needed for income producing activities like work.

On the other hand, your low deposit plus baycorp default will limit your stategies.

Regards
    John

Inspired Finance

[email protected]
    (02) 9944 7776

@mark.p

At this stage I think I am Looking more towards getting a unit to resides in rather then actual house.

hmmm,

I know with the deposit I have I guess I may need to Save It rather then wasting it on a car.

But damn do I want a car but at the same time I know myself that its more then a want rather then a need.

If I was to get a H/l for 200k how much would my deposit be?
    now this being my first h/l I think ill be granted with a first homebuyer.

so its 10%x200k = 20k,
    20k-7k(assuming thats how much 1st home buyers get)= 13k

So if my calculations are correct i would need 13k so all i need is another 3k to be able to get a h/l provide of course my craa is fixed.

now would this include all other costs in it?

thanks heaps again guys,

sorry If I am being a pain.

but I feel I dont ask then I wont know.

-cheers [jerry]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Why don’t you buy a car for $1-2K and keep the rest for your deposit.

Prices aren’t moving fast so there is no rush to buy that unit tomorrow.

Build your deposit and start looking at units. Aim to have looked at 50 before you make an offer – that way you will be an expert at picking a good buy and will know what is priced properly.

In the meantime see if you can get that CRA fixed. As mentioned above it never hurts to ask the lender to remove the CRA mark.

Don’t get caught in the trap of trying to own a nice car like your mates. Are they in a financial position that you envy? Find someone that is doing what you what to do and living the way you want to live. Ask them for advice and see what sort of car they would drive in your position.

I am not a poor man and I drive a 10 year old Commodore. My wife is a Dr and she drives a 9 year old Excel. We are both happy with them. Both cars together would be worth under your $10K mark yet we could buy a new Audi for cash if we wanted to. We just know that it will cost us a lot in opportunity cost down the track and we will never enjoy it enough to warrant the price tag – is just a car after all. My ten year old wagon is used to carry tools and reno gear, sandy kids and dogs and to pull my 30yr old boat! I wouldn’t want to do any of those things with a brand new Audi!

So make sure you understand what a car really costs before you buy it. I have an article I wrote on that very subject. Drop me an email and I will send it to you. Anyone else too. If you have young friends then pass it onto them. Quite a few people have had an AHA moment with it – to paraphrase Steve

[biggrin]

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

@mark.p

thanks again,

I was abit reluctant in registering on this site, But now I am pleased that I have.

and lucky I did it before using my money.

will deffinately take up some of your advices and keep you all posted.

thanks again.

Btw was my calculation correct in regards to wanting to take up a h/l for 200k…. please refer to my last reply.

@johnsmith

Normally when purchasing the costs including stamp duty, etc equate to approximately 5%. Therefore for each property you need 105% of the purchase price.

In the case of a First Home Buyer the costs are lower because of reduced stamp duty. As a guide approximaely 2%. Therefore 102% of purchase price is needed.

200,000 x 102% = 204,000 less loan of 90% (180K, but can get higher LVR) Less FHOG of $7,000 (more in Vic) = $17,000 required.

The Baycorp default will play a part, so best you discuss with your broker.

Regards
    John

Inspired Finance

[email protected]
    (02) 9944 7776

@mark.p

Hmm,

call me stupid but Im a little confused with your calculation.

are you able to send me a private msg explaining how you got your figure?
    or even better do you have a site where I can read about all those details.

cheers [jerry]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.