All Topics / Value Adding / Designing Floorplans

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of SpankySpanky
    @spanky

Hey Guys,
    Just a quick question – does anybody know of any free software that can be used to draw basic floorplans for reno’s and new developments (mac compatible if possible) and where I might be able to obtain it?

I’m basically looking for something I can take to an architect/draftsperson to let them know what I’d like.

Thanks heaps.
    Spanky

Age doesn’t negate effort – you can never be too young or too old.

Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste

Hi all

I have had a look around the web for the same, nil on free (good ones anyway)

I was in Harvey Normans on sat and saw some there, one was about $50 and some in CAD around $150. I am going back next week when iam 5yr old free to have a better look. I let you know if any good.

Celeste

Profile photo of dannyreddannyred
    @dannyred

Why not just use a pencil and scale ruler if only doing floor plans. Once you get used to it you’ll be able to produce drawings quite quickly[biggrin]

Profile photo of dannyreddannyred
    @dannyred

You could also try SketchUp which is a Mac compatible 3D software, its fairly intuitive and good fun. Try it free here http://sketchup.google.com/
    [biggrin]

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

They teach Drafters and Architects to be able to interpret charcoal rough drawings, so something that you can draw in pencil Biro or coloured pencil’s texture will suffice.

If your seeking drafter or architects professional work that you pay for, that is why you should not need to go out there and learn a drafting program. And they are aware that people might approach them this way (with rough drawings) and often do! Actually a good draftsperson should be able to include in a hour long consultation and sit down with you to draw you up a 3D Computerised Model of exactly what you want and how you want it to look. Then clicking a few buttons gives floor-plan views , side views, interior views you name it. I would recommend this way so that there is no confusion!

http://www.Jaffasoft.com

Profile photo of psychic26296psychic26296
    @psychic26296

Hi, you could try http://www.homeplanpro.com/index, You can try it for a month before you buy it. Can’t say if it is Mac compatible though.

Anita

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

What I have done, is go to the draftsperson you are going to use, and ask them for a copy of a plan that will fit on your block, i.e. block is 50 x 150 I want two townhouses, show me some plans that will work. Then take the outside footprint and draw in your own internals. Be aware if you shift the staircase it wil shift upstairs as well.

Fern

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.