All Topics / Value Adding / Perth – Electricial info

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste

Hi all

I need some info re: building regulations in regards to ovens / hot plates and circuits/fuses etc

I am trying to solve some problems with one of my reno’s

Is there an electrician and a gas fitter out there, who’s brains I can pick.

If there is I can furbish more info.[blush2]

Thanks

Celeste

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

i’m a vic sparky. ask away.

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste

Hi LifeX

Thanks for responding, I buy 1 bed apartments and Reno.

They generally have
    2 fuses = 1 x power and 1 x lights
    gas upright stoves
    either gas or electric instant hot water systems.
    and have 3-4 rooms (depending on kitchen lay out.)

I am trying to nut out a way of getting rid of the up right gas stoves and make more cupboard space and hopefully not run another fuse.

My understanding is,
    1. I need a seperate fuse to install the new electric ovens.
    2. That this applies for items that draw more than 15 amps ie some air conditioners etc.

Questions
    1. do I need seperate circuit for
    electric hot plates?
    Gas hotplates?
    microwave/convention oven?
    or one of those ovens with the hotplates on top?

2. Due to the fact that there is approx. 5 lights on the light circuit
    can and run anything extra from this circuit

3. how many power points can I run from one circuit?

I think that all for the mo.

Thanks
    Celeste[exhappy]

@lifex

sorry, i’ve been off the forum for a while

First of all I have to give the “sparky lecture”. YOU CAN NOT DO ANY WIRING YOURSELF.
    This is because a licenced electrician is the only one allowed to do the work and the rules and regulations are so specific that it is impossible to think you could get by.
    If you caused a fire or electrocuted anyone than you would go a row of houses and probably a stint in lockup.
    If there was a fire in the building of any kind and the insurance assessors found wiring that was incorrect or new wiring that had not been certified by the Office of the Chief Electrical Inspector… you’d be screwed too.

But, as I know you would be getting a Licenced Sparky in to do this work I’ll answer your questions….cool?

Q1. I need a seperate fuse to install the new electric ovens. Yes, the law says you must run a separate fuse for a stove.

Q2. That this applies for items that draw more than 15 amps ie some air conditioners etc. Yes, correct. Any single thing that draws that much current must be separate circuit.

Questions
    Q1. do I need seperate circuit for
    electric hot plates? No, just one circuit for the whole stove

Gas hotplates? Gas hotplates don’t usually need any electricity, but it might have a clock or timer that is mains powered. This only draws a small amount of current and MAY be able to be combined with an existing circuit to make it a mixed circuit. Electricians are sometimes reluctant to do this though as it complicates the wiring and can reduce the number of other outlets on such a circuit.

microwave/convention oven? Yes, if it is hard wired. ……… No, if it is plugged in to an outlet..

or one of those ovens with the hotplates on top? Yes.

…..With stoves that need any power at all, you just wire in a circuit that would be able to handle any upgrades or changes in the future. But only one supply is needed as it is one appliance.
    If it is just a low powered plug in item, you might get away with using a power outlet.

Q2. Due to the fact that there is approx. 5 lights on the light circuit
    can and run anything extra from this circuit? Yeah, you can probably put a lot more lighting points, depending on what rating the fuse and wiring is. Lighting points include ceiling fans, exhaust fans, floodlights, rangehoods(sometimes). There are a couple of other exceptions.

Q3. how many power points can I run from one circuit? As many as the electrician thinks is safe to run, if he gets it wrong or puts the incorrect protection on the wiring, he is off to court! The new rules are weird.

Hope this helps Celeste

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste

Hi Lifeexperience

Thanks for replying -Yes, I am hiring a licensed electrician, wouldn’t dream of doing it my self. I do these renos on my own, if anything happened, I would not be found until there’s no tea on the table. (especially in summer as hubby has an sctioning firm.

funny though I had been eagerly awaiting your response, when Hubby had to an electrician out to the PPOR to fix a security light and he came today, I ran the Q’s past him.

good O – same answers

Thanks for that

@lifex

No probs,[biggrin]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.