All Topics / Help Needed! / Painting Vinyl Cladding

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of GismoGismo
    @gismo

G’day,

I have just purchased a house that is clad in the weatherboard look-a-like vinyl cladding. I realise that the whole reason for using the stuff is so you don’t have to paint it, but it don’t like the colour.

Can you successfully paint vinyl cladding? Wht sort of paint and preparation is required?

Thanks. [exhappy]

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

There isn’t much that can’t be painted these days,and it all boils down to the first coat you put on.Ring Dulux on 132525 and they will tell you what you need.I wouldn’t be surprised if they say just to use an exterior acrylic,as these paints are suitable to paint PVC pipes.

Tools

Profile photo of freeman cooperfreeman cooper
    @freeman-cooper

Hi Gismo,

Tools is right,
    I have been a painter for years.
    I suggest you thoroughly wash the house using sugar soap and a scrubing broom.
    You find that vinyl cladding after a few years goes a bit powdery.
    If you paint straight over this the paint actually sticks to powder and not vinyl.
    Every house I painted or quoted that had vinyl was powdery.
    I suggest you buy “Emulsabond” and add it to the paint. Some paint shops can add this to the paint when tinting. This will help the paint stick to the vinyl. Apply 2 coats of the best quality exterior acrylic you can buy (Wattle, Haymes etc).
    Good Luck
    Regards
    Frank

Profile photo of GismoGismo
    @gismo

Thanks guys,

I have been sufing around some paint sites and found that even they suggest that prepartion is paramount when painting vinyl cladding. The “Solver” site even had pictures of failed painting, where it had just peeled off.

Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.