All Topics / Value Adding / What to do with 70’s Style timber Linning Boards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of JLtarraJLtarra
    Participant
    @jltarra

Hi There,

Just looking at a few thoughts on covering up or painting old wall linning boards.
    To my knowledge to paint them would be costly cos you can only paint them with a brush and have to use a Enamel primer first B4 putting an Acrylic based paint (therefore alot of work for Mr Painter!)

The other option is plaster over??? But far as i know this is also very expensive!!

All your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

John [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Profile photo of freeman cooperfreeman cooper
    @freeman-cooper

Hi John,

I recently painted the walls of a church hall that was lined with paneling. I used an acrylic sealer and then 2 coats of a good quality acrylic paint. I rolled them on then went over with a brush the areas the roller never got, which were few.
    I also tinted the sealer the same colour as the paint.
    If the panels were covered in a clear you may have to use an oil based undercoat/ sealer.

Regards
    Frank

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

A good paint shop should be able to supply any number of small, shaped foam rollers that would get into the Vs. If you want to really make a neat finish, you could skim-coat (plaster) the top half to fill the gaps, put a chair-rail in and pain the lower part. I’ve seen it done very quickly and effectively.

Profile photo of JLtarraJLtarra
    Participant
    @jltarra

Your replies are much appreciated

Thanks, will give it a go!!

John[biggrin]

Profile photo of celesteceleste
    Participant
    @celeste

Hi all

There is a forum on this site where a painter is offering free advice.

I used a exterior texture paint on interior face brick using a long pile roller ask at a trade paint centre. also if you have ABN they will sell to you at trade price and let you do the courses on any new type of paints. My mun is in melb me perth, she told me she had a new paint that will go over anything, its thick though. I do not know what it is called.

Failing this there is a product called ESP (there are other will be in the same spot at the hardware store) that you brush on leave 5 min and wipe off, It will then allow you to paint over anything enamel / glass / metal / tiles etc

Hope you find something.

Celeste

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.