All Topics / General Property / Ice Caps melt by 2015!.. Will your town flood?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

There are some scientists that believe the northern ice cap (the Arctic) has begun to melt and will be completely melted by 2015.

Apparently this will cause the sea level to rise by 6 metres.[dunny]

Check this link to see if your suburb is going to Flood.

http://flood.firetree.net

read this article

http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=147569

What do you all think.

[blink][biggrin]

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of freeman cooperfreeman cooper
    @freeman-cooper

Hi Lifex,

Without trying to sound like a smart ass or disrespect you I have one question.
    If you had a glass of frozen water full to the top and it melted, would it over flow or actually reduce in size?
    The earth flooding from the global warming affect is nonsence.
    There is no conclusive scientific evidence to show that the earth has warmed at all. And if it did and the ice melted the sea levels would drop.
    The satelite photo’s the spin doctors use are taken when naturally occuring melts happen,
    Don’t be alarmed.
    Regards
    Frank

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

I know what you mean Frank, that was exactly my argument for years. Problem is that the Greenland ice that they are talking about is a remnant of the last ice age and it is sitting atop land mass. The problem they suggest is that it is slipping into the sea now.

Hey, i’m not a big fan of any world climate theory and it’s causesas most of it is based on theory from relatively small periods of time and what you could call “naturally occurring”. Hell, there is even division amongst scientists on what the scientific community actually believes. With scientists who have reasonable arguments for and against global warming.

Yet it is interesting to look at what would happen if the sea rose in height by 6 metres. According to the topographical graph in the link, the house I currently live in would be underwater…!!

And, I encourage smart asses, so no holds barred as far as i’m concerned.

@freeman-cooper

Hey Lifex,
    Thanks man,
    My Best advice is to start building an ark.

Frank

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

My advice is to watch the superman original movie 1978 where lex luther plans to drop the coast into the sea and has purchased the property that is going to be left ie above the sea level. Hence instantly increasing his newly created coastal property values overnight. Imagine th insurance clause to get out of this scenario. Not only will Thermal detonation and acts of terrorism are exempted but in the future your property falling into the ocean will be exempted from insurance.
    Probably the coastal property owners will be in nursing homes by 2015..
    I have a mind that thinks all the time and has actually thought how to fix this problem.
    Create an inland sea in the middle of Australia by pumping sea water into the middle of Australia via wind mills.
    Then pump the sea water into flood plains and evaporate the water with the sun and cool it with the inland sea and then pump the fresh water to different farming areas that desperately need it and to the start of the murray river.
    This would need a government that thought longer than 3 years to create such a long term plan rather than waiting until were are under water to release a crisis plan.

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of bruhambruham
    Participant
    @bruham

G’day all,

I’m history, I live on the coast.
    You hear things and read some stupid articals and you start believing them.
    I have a problem with medical deseases. If I don’t know a name of a desease, them I’m safe and can’t catch it.

As for that superman movie, it was on foxtel last night.

bruham.

Profile photo of AshMasonAshMason
    Participant
    @ashmason

I prefer the theory where the polar caps melting and subsequent increase in fresh water stops the warm salt water based ocean currents that flow from the equator towards the poles, and all that heat that gets transferred north, resulting in europe freezing up and mini ice-age…
    Then maybe there’ll be mass migration to australia and bigger demand for housing. [suave]

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

Ashmason, you better know what your talking about because that sounds fantastic.

Profile photo of RavtownRavtown
    @ravtown

I think I saw the same doco Ashmason did.

The logic being that this particular conveyor/water current has a huge effect on the climate of the UK and neighbours. The increasing amount of freshwater coming in from the ice melts is slowing down the movement of the conveyor. scientists are worried that we will reach a critical point where the freshwater seawater balance will be so far out of whack as to stop the conveyor or water current completely. Therefore no more warming of the water around UK etc, enter the endless colder than ever winter.

Worse still, if it does stop, no one seems to have any suggestion as to how to get it going again.

That was my understanding anyway.

They never suggested that the ocean around UK would freeze, not going to get that cold. So I can’t see why we can’t have that and the rising sea levels. They are both predicted to arise from the same environmental event, ie the melting of the ice fields.

I freely admit that watching one doco does not make me a sound source of info.

cheers

Rav

@freeman-cooper

Hi Guys,

Alright, I’ll be a smart ass again if thats ok.

Maybe we should pay these scientists stupid amounts of money to explore their theory.

I studied a bit of science and found that it seems to be the way these guys feed themselves. They come up with a theory, sensationalise it, get themselves in the media, give you some plausible explanations and ask for a grant.
    Just like Darwin. After all the research still no evidence, just theory.

Regards
    sceptic

Profile photo of Cabo WaboCabo Wabo
    Participant
    @cabo-wabo

Well i’ve my wettie and rubber duckie all packed…

Cabo Wabo

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

This could mean that the wealth may shift from waterfront properties to waterfront reserve properties …

D

@freeman-cooper

Hi Guys,
    Here’s a bit more,

Did you know that the ozone layer depleates with ouit the sun and is formed again when the sun comes up.
    The photo’s that you see of the ozone layer depleating are taken when the sun is going or has gone down.
    Did you also know that the temp extremes of the ice poles are 35 degrees.
    The only variation in global warming caused by the suposed ozone layer depleating that scientists can come up with since the 70’s is half a degree. Could that be the margin of error and we are all woried about nothing?
    Regards
    Frank The synic

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    Originally posted by freeman cooper:

Hi Guys,

Alright, I’ll be a smart ass again if thats ok.

Maybe we should pay these scientists stupid amounts of money to explore their theory.

I studied a bit of science and found that it seems to be the way these guys feed themselves. They come up with a theory, sensationalise it, get themselves in the media, give you some plausible explanations and ask for a grant.
    Just like Darwin. After all the research still no evidence, just theory.

Regards
    sceptic

Hi All,
    On that note; read “State of Fear” by Michael Crichton. It’s a novel, but based on scientific evidence. Basically it is a story about Environmentalist companies which are formed by people purely for the purpose of making money – for themselves. They create an environmental issue, sensationalise it and market it to the world to attract financial support, then skim the proceeds.
    It smacks of conspiracy theories but it may just be true. Scarey; but after living in L.A for the last 14 months and seeing on a daily basis what Corporate America is getting up to, it doesn’t surprise me in the least.
    Remain alert and sceptical.
    Cheers,
    Marc

@freeman-cooper

Hi Marc,

Sounds great,

I subscribed to New Scientist magazine for a while and they did not acept a lot of things just because they were popular (big bang, evolution, firing of nuclear weopons on demand, global warming etc) but rather look at the scientific evidence available.

Thanks

Frank

Profile photo of kingbrownkingbrown
    @kingbrown

Frank, scientific consensus has been for sometime that human related increases in CO2 have produced a thickened atsmosphere, and therefore the greenhouse effect is heightened, leading to increases in temperature.

CO2 levels have been related to global mean temps for as long as we can get data for (hundreds of thousands of years – using ice cores from Antarctica).

People who disagree on global warming are now juts like those who once proclaimed the earth was flat.

Do your research, your opinion is very outdated.

@freeman-cooper

Hey kingbrown,

It may be outdated but prove it.
    It’s to easy to say my opinion is out dated.
    Prove it.
    I dare you.
    We do need to look after our planet, no arguments there, but filling our heads with nonsence does’nt make us more sofisticated.
    Question it.

Regards
    Frank

Profile photo of kingbrownkingbrown
    @kingbrown

Frank,

CO2 is what helps us maintain our planets greenhouse, and therefore our happy temperature range.

CO2 levels are therefore directly related to the Earth’s temperature.

We have records dating back hundreds of thousands of years relating to CO2 levels, using ice core samples from Antarctica.

The CO2 levels since 1800 (industrial revolution) have been increasing rapidly, in the last 30 years, they have been increasing extremely rapidly.

OK Frank – you with me so far?? We can directly measure CO2 levels for hundreds of thousands of years, and we can directly see that CO2 is what keeps our earth warm….

..and we have MEASURED that the CO2 evels of recent decades have been far higher than at any time in the last several hunded thousand years… (in fact, several hundred percent higher than at any time in the last 750,000 years)

..and we MEASURED that last year was the HOTTEST on record…

Its quite simple isn;t it??? A primary school kid could see it…

Heck – EVEN JOHN HOWARD is now seeing it.

Increase CO2 = increase in temperature.

Increase in temperature = melting ice.

Melting ice = rising sea levels.

What is there to debate?

Nothing.

If you have ONE reason why you know better than the worlds scientific community, please say so.

Its time to wake up, Frank.

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs

Then why has the temperature this year been colder by half a degree world wide than the year before?

@freeman-cooper

Hi Kingbrown,
    I noticed how you used a lot of capital letters, sarcasm and trying to make me out to be a simpleton.
    That is exactly what some scientists use to try and convince people of their theory.
    Not that they can come up with conclusive evidence, no, they will use sarcasm etc so that most people will think that they know best because they see them belittle anyone who questions them.
    A primary kid could see that.
    PROVE THE MELTING ICE THEORY.
    I am awake, because I refuse to blindly accept “FINDINGS” without evidence. Regardless of who it is.
    We can directly measure CO2, What? What?
    What temperature? how much did it go up? Where?
    Mate this forum is about property, if you think your house is going to sink because of some ice melting nonsence you heard from a few scientists maybe you should build an ark.
    There are some instructions in thje bible.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.