All Topics / General Property / (Young) Investors Club: A Beginning

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of pejota.aupejota.au
    @pejota.au

Hey everyone,

I was looking for an investment club to join and I found a thread about Young Investors Club. After realizing that no one had really formed one, I decided to come up with one at:
    http://groups.google.com/group/ozinvestors

I came up with the group because I think it will be a place where we can meet like minded people and organise meetings or just chat.
    Although the group is targeted at young investors, everyone is welcome! I think it won’t be as great if more experienced investors join and share some of their experinces with us ‘rookies’.

I like to extend the invatation to everyone that reads this. I think this group is a great way to communicate with other investors and open doors to get a chance to meet people like you in your area to talk about investing and have some fun!

Hope to chat to you soon!
    Cheers,
    Pedro [thumbsupanim]

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi, Pedro

Go to http://www.888abundance.com. Gary Seeto runs the site and he is in the process of setting up Young (at heart) property investing clubs all over Australia.

Regards
    Daniel [specs]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

What do you hope to get from an Investment group that cannot be obtained through these pages?

Not trying to be a wet blanket – I am genuinely interested?

I know of many groups of like minded people who meet monthly to swap ideas etc. Melbourne, Perth, Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane all have one that I know of.

Non profit groups run by the members – nothing is sold or promoted.

Drop me an email if anyone is interested telling me which city you are in and I will let you know who to speak to.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

This 888 thing has not really taken off in Adelaide yet and I’m told it is aimed at the more inexperienced investor market.

We have an establised investors network group meeting on a monthly basis in Adelaide. It is aimed at people who already are investors and want to network with other like minded people. Offcourse newbies are welcome too and they can benefit from networking with more establised investors.

Anyone interested in attending please email me. It’s free!!!

Investment Property Management
    http://www.adprop.com.au

Profile photo of pejota.aupejota.au
    @pejota.au

Hi everyone,

I went to that website you recommended me but I had already seen it before. I didn’t really look through it extensively – however, I naturally avert any website that is selling anything. I don’t really think it matches with what I want to create.

I want to create a social community for investors to get together and chat.

Now I know you might say that this forum promotes this, but… well, I think it doesn’t. Forums to me are something more impersonal.

The idea to me is to create something more personal, put a face on the investors you’re talking with, not just a smiley. It’s an opportunity to really get to know others – specially others that are like minded to you.

We all have good friends, but sometimes when it comes to our views and ambitions are friends are unsupportive or cynical. Wouldn’t it be good having a circle of people that believe the same as you and spur you on?
    Specially if they are not only doing it via “times new roman” but also by personally telling you this!?

Tell me your thoughts and perhaps we’ll end up meeting up for a beer!

Cheers,
    Pedro [biggrin]

Profile photo of planktonplankton
    @plankton
    What do you hope to get from an Investment group that cannot be obtained through these pages?

Wow, Mortgage Hunter, you really need to lighten up and appreciate many different groups and sources of information all add to the knowledge database.

James.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by plankton:

Wow, Mortgage Hunter, you really need to lighten up and appreciate many different groups and sources of information all add to the knowledge database.

James.

Thanks James.

Why didn’t you quote the next sentence? In fact the rest of my post which offered a number of reputable groups?

Selective quoting like that reflects badly upon the author and is the mark of the 6.30pm current affairs journalist.

Another thing I appreciate is that there are plenty of “marketers” , “Trainers” and “Seminar presenters” aiming to part the inexperienced from their money.

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

OK this is an interesting topic …

Firstly lets look at the need … if this forum and many other “clubs” are not working where are they falling down??

The ASIC will not let you use the word club so be very careful here.(go ask the asic)

Secondly what are young investors really looking for – “how to get started” – try working and saving, we all started the same way.

“The problem” we have had a lot of experience in this area and over a 7 year period have analyised some interesting results

1. The basics are not being discussed

2, People go away more confused than when they turned up

3. There is no structure because of no experience

4. Young people take unnecessary risks to get RICH which isnot the purpose

5. Who is the leader – there must be one!!

6. If you are just getting together for a chat you are better off here making NOTES – don’t just read these forums TAKE WRITTEN NOTES they are worth gold

We were young once as well and were just as eager to succeed (still am) ifyou are under 20 (if that is the young age???) don’t just read -learn how to write notes and then research

Poor people WORK rich people NETWORK – turn yourself into an action group by finding 5 people committed to succeed – work out a plan – decide on a project – design portfolios – then go do it.

I am a member of a group 7 of us, we all have a job to do, we meet once a month and have projects to do in between, we have a chairman, action lists, agendas and the meeting goes for 3 hours if one person does not perform they loose profits from the project.

If you are not doing someting active from being part of this forum you are wasting your time here, take notes and go and DO

Nothing worse than listening to an expert “that doesn’t walk their talk.

How about starting ” the young investors action group” make a list of members, break up the numbersinto 6 people and start an agenda. Meet once a month as a group and every quarter as “forum”

Good luck Pejota – you don’t find leaders IN the flock …

D

@pejota.au

Thanks for the input, wealth4life.

I think you have something that works and thus you have a better feedback on what works and what doesn’t. Your ideas are good and way more advanced than what I came up with. I just came up with an investment group so people can learn from each other. But of course I realised the lack of a foundation.

I reckon the important thing is to actually DO something. So when they said it would be good to come up with a young investors club (If anyone sees ASIC tell them I’m overseas) I just decided to create one and become more specific as we go.

I liked your ideas. Would you be able to empart more on how you created what you have? (I’m not asking for specific details – don’t worry. Just how you and the other in your group came together and how you started).

Cheers,
    Pedro

Profile photo of Mark77Mark77
    Participant
    @mark77

Hi Simon
    Id love to get in contact with a few people in Perth, if you know of someone to contact I would be greatful. I met a few through Cashflow 101 site but it doesnt seem to active.
    I’ve got many great ideas and insights from this forum site but most people are from the eastern states so its dificult to talk shop with someone unfamiliar with the current market.
    For example, Perth is still booming but I understand a few states like NSW, Qld and Vic are in a bit of a slump (or recovery) at the moment.
    Keep up the great posts
    Cheers
    Mark

Originally posted by Mortgage Hunter:

Not trying to be a wet blanket – I am genuinely interested?

I know of many groups of like minded people who meet monthly to swap ideas etc. Melbourne, Perth, Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane all have one that I know of.

Non profit groups run by the members – nothing is sold or promoted.

Drop me an email if anyone is interested telling me which city you are in and I will let you know who to speak to.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

“Be a Meaningful Specific rather that a Wandering Generality”

Profile photo of smoothsatinsmoothsatin
    @smoothsatin

Hi all,
    I would be interested in starting an investment…..”gathering” or “group” in Melbourne. I am 27 and have a fairly extensive share portfolio. I am learning about residential property and have a fair idea where/what i want to buy in a few years time, i.e. once the pent up issues in the Australin economy are sorted out. There is no reason why the group needs to focus solely on residential property, there are opportunities everywhere.

Profile photo of alottialotti
    Participant
    @alotti

Hi Pedro,

You said you’ve been to http://www.888abundance.com but are not interested because it is selling something? You have got it wrong, the founder Gary Seeto may be selling something, but that is not associated with the investment community.

The members meet up and chat, exactly as you said. Gary is letting us use a forum section of his webite to stay in touch with group members around Australia, similar to Steve’s forum which we’re all in now. Being here doesn’t mean you have to buy Steve’s books…

Lena

@pejota.au

Lena,
    I do admit I hadn’t read the website much. But I trusted your judgement and signed up to it. What do you say?
    Have you signed up too?

Cheers!

Originally posted by alotti:

Hi Pedro,

You said you’ve been to http://www.888abundance.com but are not interested because it is selling something? You have got it wrong, the founder Gary Seeto may be selling something, but that is not associated with the investment community.

The members meet up and chat, exactly as you said. Gary is letting us use a forum section of his webite to stay in touch with group members around Australia, similar to Steve’s forum which we’re all in now. Being here doesn’t mean you have to buy Steve’s books…

Lena

Profile photo of alottialotti
    Participant
    @alotti

Great to hear!

Yes I signed up, it is not so much a forum as a place to stay in touch with community members. We discuss things like meeting venues, resources and topic ideas.

I am looking forward to meeting you, feel free to PM me for more details or for any other info.
    [jerry]

P.S. By the way are you Brisbane based? There are communities all around Australia, but we only run the one here…

Lena

Profile photo of localinvestorlocalinvestor
    @localinvestor

Hey there,

Just wondering who i can contact to get involved in the melb based investment group?

Cheers

@pejota.au

No… I’m Sydney based. So I guess you won’t have the pleasure of meeting me so soon… hehehe (and vice-versa)

I do wish i had seen that group earlier, but I wasn’t too keen on having to pay 30 bucks. But it’s once a year so I’m not complaining…

Anyway, if you feel like it, my group is free (http://groups.google.com/group/ozinvestors), so you are welcome to join. And we’ll see where it goes from here!

Thanks for the advice and I hope to meet you soon!

PEDRO

Originally posted by alotti:

Great to hear!

Yes I signed up, it is not so much a forum as a place to stay in touch with community members. We discuss things like meeting venues, resources and topic ideas.

I am looking forward to meeting you, feel free to PM me for more details or for any other info.
    [jerry]

P.S. By the way are you Brisbane based? There are communities all around Australia, but we only run the one here…

Lena

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.