All Topics / Value Adding / Addition of Water Tanks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

Would it be wise to add water tanks to your investment properties as an improvement(during a reno).

You get that rebate, which makes the tank cheaper.( i dont know the real price).
    You could up the rent as your going to be lowering their water bill.
    It may also be an incentive for them to keep a nice garden and lucious lawn.

What does everyone think?

Christopher.

Profile photo of cbellesinicbellesini
    Participant
    @cbellesini

An interesting point you raise there, if you are environmentally aware it is a great idea but at the same time are your tenants likely to be? My perception is that renters are less likely to do the garden and lawn as it is not their house and don’t have that attachment to make it look perfect as they may move on in a couple of years. I think if you are selling it adds value however so could always be worth putting in for when the time comes to sell.
    Short term I think for a rental money could be spent in other areas but when it’s time to sell it is a good addition!

http://www.chrisbellesini.com

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

Thanks cbellesini. I am beginning to agree with you there. When the time comes to sell, put it in.

Though what about the idea of selling the property to the tenants. Like you know that increased rent thing for a few years builds up a deposit for the house and you sell it to them, what is that called.
    And would it be wise to do it in that sense as they will be seeing this house as theirs in the future and you will be gaining the benfits of the increased value of the water tank.

Christopher.

Profile photo of woodrowwoodrow
    @woodrow

i read on a renovating website from america (i forget the address of the website though, lol!!) that adding a rainwater tank can increase the value of the property 4 times the price of the tank. So if the tank costs $5000 then the property automatically goes up by $20,000. Also i heard that rent goes up by at least $30 per week.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

It is a good idea, but I don’t think it would necessarily add much value to the property or to the rent.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @draconisv

Thanks everyone. I have come to the conclusion that I will add the water tank when I am renovating the dump that i buy in 3 years time.
    Thank you.

Christopher.

Profile photo of julsjuls
    @juls

We put a water tank in at PPOR & have not regretted it as with the water restrictions we can keep our garden wash the car etc. Recouping our money would take along time though. As for an investment property I don’t think it would add value. If in the future you wanted to sell then I would consider it ,but only then.

Juls

Profile photo of ogilvyogilvy
    @ogilvy

Do you find that your neighbours are thinking you are dodgy when you hose your garden and your car on no-hose days ?

@juls

Our council sent out a special sign to put near our letter box which had the size of our water tank & that alternative water supply was in use. It just came in the mail last week, because we had it inspected when we applied for the rebate these signs were sent to households with tanks.

So hopefully the neighbours notice, although our house is hard to see from the road anyway.

Juls

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

well I’m putting tanks in all my properties. After the state and local gov’t rebates, each tank will cost me only $200. I believe it will add value. I am also putting in the dual flush loos where I can. Gotta take advantage of those govt rebates while tehy last.
    milly

Profile photo of fbd1fbd1
    @fbd1

Thanks for the tip…How much rebate do the Government give you for putting in a rainwater tank? I hadn’t heard about that? How do they pay the rebate – is it on invoice?
    Thanks & have a brilliant day!
    Dianne Burns

@juls

Hi fbd1

You will need to contact your local council or their website to find out the rebate amount as I don’t know if it is the same for all councils. Ours depends on the size of the tank as it varies on the size. Just a tip put in the biggest tank you are able to accommodate.

Juls

Participant
    @draconisv

Thank you everyone for your help, It has been greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Christopher Fife.

Profile photo of UnknownSoldierUnknownSoldier
    @unknownsoldier

in melbourne i can see it getting big favour as our water restrictions get worse every spring/summer and its definately becoming a problem and tanks will be desired for sure.. we cant even currently wash our cars or mow lawns without checking what is allowed and what isnt, for the largest island in the world surrounded by thousands of kilometres of endless ocean its fairly sad lol.
    Imo id say its money well spent and people will appreciate it more as time goes on im sure.
    Anyone know much facts about the tanks, ie how long it takes to fill say a 1500L tank or so in an average winter season, if they fill at all?!?

btw good size for prices and equipment:
    http://www.irrigationwarehouse.com.au/

Participant
    @draconisv

Thanks alot unknown soldier, that website was absolutely excellent. Told me more inof no that one site than the rest I could find. Thanks.

Christopher.

Profile photo of SargeantSargeant
    @sargeant

In QLD we will be on Level 4 water restrications by November the First. Up water tanks are a huge draw card in the sale.
    However the price achived at sale will not be greatly increased.
    As always it location & condition of the property that attracts the price increase.

Aslam Sargeant
    0408 730 295
    Looking to buy property?
    http://www.isoldmarsden.com.au

Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

Our new townhouse we’re building had to have some sustainability features in its design to get it through council, can’t recall if this was DSE imposed or by the municipality. So this meant that we had to put in a water tank, solar panels, etc etc. We chose a water tank.

Something to think about going forward, people can buy/rent new houses/townhouses/units which are environmentally friendly and can potentially save them money, how does that impact on places without these features.

I’d say short term, there won’t be much thought and the impact will be low, but water is becoming a much more valuable commodity, have a look up north in QLD where they are on level 4-5 water restrictions. Maybe I should sell all my property and buy desalinisation and water treatment plants.

D.

Profile photo of irbrillirbrill
    @irbrill

like some one said earlier, these rebates won’t be around for ever, if it cost you $200 to get a $1200 water tank that would add $1200 to the value of your property, I think of it as free money. “but water is becoming a much more valuable commodity,” . are we going to start selling the water in the tanks if the tenant doesn’t use it?

Izza

Participant
    @draconisv
    Originally posted by irbrill:

are we going to start selling the water in the tanks if the tenant doesn’t use it?

Thats a great idea, they’ll be like gold collectors.

When it rains its jsut money falling from the sky.

Christopher.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.