All Topics / Heads Up! / Women Investing in Property Group

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of Wendy ChamberlainWendy Chamberlain
    Participant
    @moorew

I am looking to form a group where women can meet and talk about property. The purpose of the meetings are to provide support, bounce ideas, seek solutions, network and educate.

The purpose is not to pool money to buy property.

The inaugural meeting of “Women Investing In Property” will take place on Tuesday 3 October from 6pm in Melbourne.

If you are interested in attending, please PM me with your email address and I’ll email you the venue details.

I truly do hope any ladies that are interested will be able to make the inaugural Melbourne meeting.

Wendy

“Say what you want and be who you are because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” – Dr. Seuss.

Wendy Chamberlain | Chamberlain Property Advocates
    https://www.wendychamberlain.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne Buyers Agent & Sellers Advocate | Independent | Flat Fee

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Why would you exclude men?

Isn’t that illegal?

Do they intimidate you?

Not trying to make you feel defensive – just wondering why I would be barred from such a meeting of minds because I have a different mix of chromasomes? [biggrin]

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of Rookie DeveloperRookie Developer
    @rookie-developer

Simon

Why would a female only group concern you? Do you argue at Fernwood gym to let you in? Would it make any difference it were for a particular nationality (Asian groups are common), what about left handers, short people? I believe there is even groups for amputees. You could join that group, but you can guess the qualification!! Maybe a group for finance brokers? Nah, who would go to that?????

My wife (Bec) is greatly looking forward to this event, & I have encouraged her to be involved. I believe this is a great forum for women to meet & discuss their interests & involvement in property investing. Like it or not they face disadvantages that men do not face, as well as have an advatage over us men in some cases as well! It is all part of the investing game!

If this still concerns you, then maybe start your own male version of it? At least that will show the world that we men are equal to our female counterparts[biggrin]

Personally, I hope this womens group is a huge success, & I am certain it will be.

You go girls

Troy

TroynBec

You can have more than you’ve got because you can become more than you are

[email protected]

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by troynbec:

Simon

Why would a female only group concern you? Do you argue at Fernwood gym to let you in? Would it make any difference it were for a particular nationality (Asian groups are common), what about left handers, short people? I believe there is even groups for amputees. You could join that group, but you can guess the qualification!! Maybe a group for finance brokers? Nah, who would go to that?????

My wife (Bec) is greatly looking forward to this event, & I have encouraged her to be involved. I believe this is a great forum for women to meet & discuss their interests & involvement in property investing. Like it or not they face disadvantages that men do not face, as well as have an advatage over us men in some cases as well! It is all part of the investing game!

If this still concerns you, then maybe start your own male version of it? At least that will show the world that we men are equal to our female counterparts[biggrin]

Personally, I hope this womens group is a huge success, & I am certain it will be.

You go girls

Troy

TroynBec

[email protected]

All your points are very valid and I don’t dispute them.

Just is a shame that men get vilified for being men yet few bastions of maleness are left. Any that are left are under threat from women’s rights groups. Yet women are encouraged to do women only stuff.

A recent initiative was recently under threat just down the road here. The Men’s Shed is a place where old retired guys meet and do woodwork and other stuff together. Seems to really fit a need that retired guys have after leaving a productive career. Was nearly closed down because the name and concept was politically incorrect …

Boys cannot go to Girl Guides and I couldn’t even camp overnight with my girls as I was a man. Yet scouts was forced to open it’s doors to both boys and girls. Not suggesting that is wrong but it never seems to cut both ways.

Just to make my background clear – I was the first ever male member of the American Womens Association. The Women bit didn’t worry me but I did hope that people didn’t assume I was American . [biggrin] This was an expat social group for foriegners living in other countries. All geared up for wives only.

What sort of reaction do you reckon a fella would get if he advertised a men’s only investment group? Seriously think over that one.

I am curious – what disadvantages do women face as investors. I know some pretty impressive female investors who don’t seem to face any. I would even suggest that if a female investor feels the need to learn away from 50% of the population then she has probably got other issues that might make a successful investing career a challenge – no slights intended to your missus.

I hope the whole thing is an unmitigated success. I am all for some things being for boys and some things for girls. Just seems that there aren’t too many boy things left these days …..

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Simon dont be overly upset not being invited to exclusive womens business.

While women continue to behave in an unequal way then society (or men) will continue to treat them as unequal (just like all the other monority groups who feel they have a right to exclusivity)!

One day I hope all these groups understand the true definition of equality.

I still love women are am more than happy to share my toolshed!

Mat

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by mathewc73:

Simon dont be overly upset not being invited to exclusive womens business.

Not upset.

How is developing an exclusive women’s business?

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @mathewc73

Developing is not, but particular collaborative approaches (like this one) are.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Sorry but I have to agree with Simon here! I would also question the motives behind excluding a group of people whether it is based on their gender or age or whatever.

Everyone has something to contribute, there are alot of switched on men out there as there are switched on women. You can learn something from everyone irrespective of secondary characteristics.

Why exclude a group of successful individuals just because of their gender????

Investment Property Management
    http://www.adprop.com.au

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by Dr.X:

Sorry but I have to agree with Simon here!

You are apologising for agreeing for me?

What am I – some sort of pariah?

[blush2]

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of cruisercruiser
    Participant
    @cruiser

Dear oh Dear
    These posts just show the extent to which those concentrating on making money as their number 1 aim neglect to keep up with other issues.
    Sigh.
    Simon,
    1. No it is not illegal.
    2. Women who enjoy women-only spaces are not necessarily intimidated by men although many have reason to be. Women enjoy women-only spaces for a whole host of reasons, just as men enjoy men-only spaces. That might just be enjoying your same sex friends.

3. Men still hold most of the power in most of the world in every facet of life. This is not enough for you? You still want to muscle in on organisations set up specifically for women? How greedy and, it has to be said, typically male, is that.

4. What disadvantages do women face as investors. You’re joking, aren’t you. Aside from the fact that this is not the basis of having a women-only organisation – women enjoy having other women-only spaces just as men enjoy men-only spaces and despite what you say, Simon, there are still many of those; – yes, there are significant disadvantages which women will be well aware of and the fact that you are not just shows how entrenched in your male privilege you are. You have obviously never talked to women about how it is for them, talking to real estate agents, or tradesmen, or any area of life where men think they know better than women (just about every area). Generally, men get treated with greater respect, deference and advantage than women. Many women experience this every day of their lives. Of course, there are exceptions depending on personalities and skills. But this is the general experience of most women.

Sorry, Dr X, you obviously live in a bubble of privilege that cushions you from these experiences. However, knowing a little bit about you I’m willing to bet you don’t do much separately from your husband, ie you act as a team and even if you are interacting alone, the people you’re interacting with will know you’re part of a couple. So I don’t think you’re in a position to know or to make pronouncements.

Mat, you’re behaving like an idiot and just underscore the reasons why women might want to have forums where they can meet away from idiot males like you.

Troy and Wendy, go for it. There’s a market out there.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by cruiser:

Dear oh Dear
    These posts just show the extent to which those concentrating on making money as their number 1 aim neglect to keep up with other issues.
    Sigh.
    Simon,
    1. No it is not illegal.
    2. Women who enjoy women-only spaces are not necessarily intimidated by men although many have reason to be. Women enjoy women-only spaces for a whole host of reasons, just as men enjoy men-only spaces. That might just be enjoying your same sex friends.

3. Men still hold most of the power in most of the world in every facet of life. This is not enough for you? You still want to muscle in on organisations set up specifically for women? How greedy and, it has to be said, typically male, is that.

4. What disadvantages do women face as investors. You’re joking, aren’t you. Aside from the fact that this is not the basis of having a women-only organisation – women enjoy having other women-only spaces just as men enjoy men-only spaces and despite what you say, Simon, there are still many of those; – yes, there are significant disadvantages which women will be well aware of and the fact that you are not just shows how entrenched in your male privilege you are. You have obviously never talked to women about how it is for them, talking to real estate agents, or tradesmen, or any area of life where men think they know better than women (just about every area). Generally, men get treated with greater respect, deference and advantage than women. Many women experience this every day of their lives. Of course, there are exceptions depending on personalities and skills. But this is the general experience of most women.

Wow.

Someone sounds a bit bitter.

I was quite supportive of the group and indeed wished it every success. Did you miss that?

Trying to muscle in? Never mentioned that either.

Making money is my number one aim? Where did that come from? What basis do you assume that? I think you would be surprised at how little money I do make and how much time I spend helping people examine and rethink their situation for free. Of course it does help that I retired 6 years ago to be a stay at home father. Bet you didn’t pick that one. Do you really think I would spend so much time on forums if I really was focussed solely on making money? Advertising and getting clients I bet you are thinking? The few emails I do get from people looking for a broker are nearly always replied to suggesting another broker a little closer to their location. So few people from Newcastle seem to be here …..

You suggest that I think I know a lot about women? I am the first to admit that I learn more and more about women every day and am far from having any sort of complete understanding of them. With a career wife and two daughters I probably have more opportunity than some but just when I think I am getting a handle on how they think something occurs to remind me how much insight into the female psyche I lack.

Methinks you are quick to react and didn’t make the effort to read what I actually wrote. Dare I suggest you try and understand where I am coming from.

You say that I obviously never speak to women about their discussions with industry professionals? Women make up well over 50% of the few clients I work with (when I say clients I mean those I actually end up with a commission from helping them arrange finance as opposed to all the people I talk to via email and telephone chatting about ideas for their situation or just explaining concepts new to them). I find that with couples it is often the women who look after details such as mortgages. Those I deal with seem OK that I am not a woman… Perhaps I am too confident in my ability to get along with them and should perhaps suggest that they seek a broker who is better able to treat them with the respect they need – as only a fellow woman can

You argue by making generalisations and making a number of assumptions about me. When we remove this hubris it seems you have said very little.

I guess I cannot argue that I am typically male. You got me there. I don’t even know what is typically male these days. You even make it sound like a bad thing? Are you typically a member of whichever gender you are? [blush2] Maybe I am not quite typical, now that you know me a little better am I still the monster you thought I was earlier today?

Thanks for your post, I learn a little more each day about life – today being no exception.

Just to restate my position. I wish the women only group all the best. I hope that it isn’t a grouping of ladies who are intimidated by men and wish to avoid them. Rather I hope it will be a collective of modern day investing Amazons who will pave new paths in the emancipation of female investors.

Anyway time to put the lead on the dog and walk to the primary school to pick up number two daughter. We have a convict outfit to get finished tonight and what with my wife away on business it falls to me. Any tips? We chose a convict as Emily did not wish to be a settler’s wife or an official’s wife. Pretty poor choices given by the school I think….. Why can’t a little girl be a settler or official in her own right?

Not quite the image of the ruthless businessman just focussed on money I hope?

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of RavtownRavtown
    @ravtown

Hi People,

I do wish forumites would stop making such personal judgements on others in forum.

The question initially was a generic one on the why’s and wherefore’s of establishing yet another delineated group.

My two cents is this.

Firstly everyone has been jumping to conclusions about it being a way in which to exclude male investors and the knowledge they have to share. Not so.

I’m sure that people of all walks and talks will be invited to share their knowledge and experience as guest presenters and such. Wendy would simply have been trying to draw together a group of people with similar interests and needs. It is highly likely that a group of women investors would have some very similar information and support needs, thus making the direction and activities of the group much easier to define.

Secondly,as I see it, Investor groups are usually formed as a source of motivation and inspiration for it’s members. With respect to the experienced and successful investors on this site, much as I enjoy reading their posts and discussions. There is extremely little that I can take away and apply in my own situation.

For myself it would be much easier to be motivated/inspired by those who had a similar starting bloc to myself. It proves to me that what I want to do is possible and in many cases offers information that is directly relevant to my situation. I see this as the catalyst for the womens group.

There is no doubt that there are issues that only women will face in the investing world. A case in point is that many male investors have a building experience, a trade or just a practical hands on background. So doing their own building inspections, negotiating with tradesman and effecting their own repairs on their IPs is something well within their capability. Even their social circle often allows them to obtain handy tips and info without effort. Invite some friends round for a BBQ and you probably have at least one mate you can grill about tiling the bathroom. My immediate social cirlce includes a few teachers, a nurse, and about 4 young mums. Tiling the bathroom is not their thing.

Perhaps one of the biggest advantages of the womens group will be the word of mouth network about tradespeople and professionals who have provided value for money, efficiency and most importantly the basic respect that any client deserves. I wish the ladies well.

That said, Simon I definitely understand why you raised the question. Sometimes the human race does seem bent on delineating and segregating itself to the enth degree and often with no obvious purpose in mind.

Anyone wanting to start a group for young female investors, living in remote queensland with little equity and less cash and no partner to lean on should PM me as soon as possible. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

Rav

Profile photo of LeilaLeila
    @leila

Wow, what a discussion! And, of course I couldn’t resist joining in with such an articulate group [specool]

When I first read this thread, Simon had just posted his first response. I took his remarks to be a little tounge-in-cheek and highlighting a valid question about gender exclusiveness. I’ve always believed that no matter what field you’re in, it’s good to ask questions about why people make the decisions they do and to question assumptions. In the end I wholeheartedly believe it’s what will make you successful!

I think Simon should be respected for the point he raised – I think you’d agree given the reaction he’s received – that it took some courage and effort to continue with the discussion.

Ultimately, I think people like to network in environments where they’re comfortable and that’s what Bec is trying to arrange for herself and others. I can totally understand where she’s coming from, and would love to be involved in such a group. Of course, I’d enjoy being involved in a group which includes men, especially if they’re as enlightened as the male contributors on this thread!

Well, that’s my 2 cents, have a great day people!

Leila
    [smiling]

Participant
    @mathewc73

Hey cruiser or should I call you crusher!!

Good luck with your womens group I hope it goes well and I hope you are a little more open to difference of opinion and jest with your fellow members. I’d hate every time you disagree with them that you would call them an “idiot”.

Oh wait… that must be for males only.

Mat
    PS I think Im quite smart. I can easily prove my statement earlier. However crusher, I challenge you to prove Im an idiot!

Profile photo of planktonplankton
    @plankton
    I challenge you to prove Im an idiot!

No challenge required.

James.

Profile photo of Rookie DeveloperRookie Developer
    @rookie-developer

Has everybody missed the point here?
    While everybody has been blah blah blah me me me, there has been a post offering the opportunity for POSITIVE like minded ladies to meet & discuss investing in property so that they can move forward to a better life for themselves, & many others in their lives, present & future.
    If you do still wish to feel inferior, small, ostracised, or whatever it is you feel you have to sook over, then do so. But take it somewhere else. Leave those who want to do/be better to do so without trying to drag them into your cesspool of misery. if that is what you want to do then start your own club of (as my father would say) miseryguts!
    James, you hit the nail on the head
    Troy

TroynBec

[email protected]

@xenia
    Sorry, Dr X, you obviously live in a bubble of privilege that cushions you from these experiences. However, knowing a little bit about you I’m willing to bet you don’t do much separately from your husband, ie you act as a team and even if you are interacting alone, the people you’re interacting with will know you’re part of a couple. So I don’t think you’re in a position to know or to make pronouncements

I disagree, I started investing in property at 19, the only team I had then was ME!!!
    Yes, I do work closely with my husband but he is NOT what makes ME successful, I am!!!
    I absolutely refuse to believe that my gender (or age or race or anything else that people so desperately want to focus on) is a limitation to anything I want to do in my life!
    Yes, some people do treat me different because of my gender THAT’S NOT MY PROBLEM!!!
    Focusing on other peoples insecurities and problems is not my business.
    Focusing on what I want to acheive in my own life IS my business.
    It’s all about mindset, if you believe you can’t do something because of your gender, that becomes your reality (But not mine!)

@xenia

PS, Simon, no appologies, I just agree with you [biggrin]

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by troynbec:

Leave those who want to do/be better to do so without trying to drag them into your cesspool of misery. if that is what you want to do then start your own club of (as my father would say) miseryguts!
    James, you hit the nail on the head
    Troy

Troy,

Is that me you are referring to as a miseryguts?

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Just been driving my eldest to Tap Dancing and had a think about this on my way home.

I have put forward quite a valid opinion. An opinion that should be respected as much as I have respected the idea of the Women Only group, and indeed, have wished it every success.

I have called no one names and simply defended my point – and myself.

I have been labelled as money hungry and a misery guts. Two epithets that have particularly hurt me given the cheerful manner in which I moderate this forum for you guys and also offer the same information and answer the same questions over and over by posting, by email and by phone.

Not looking for sympathy or apologies. Merely respect that I can hold a differing point of view.

A wise man once told me,

“Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

I now see what he was trying to tell me.

I will not be visiting this thread anymore and would ask another moderator to keep an eye on it.

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.