All Topics / Value Adding / DIY renovate or get builder to do renos?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of zopmzopm
    Participant
    @zopm

Hi,

I am really trying to determine whether to diy renovate or get a builder to do the work.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate as to what percentage of building work is taken up by the labour component? Obviously, I know this varies between the type of job being performed, but basically I’m interested in general labour percentages for :
    new kitchen,
    bathroom
    single story additions on flat blocks with weatherboard type houses.

These are all with standard fittings…nothing too fancy.

I’ve been told labour constitutes around 50% on general buildings.

Any help or information however small would be very much appreciated.

Profile photo of fbd1fbd1
    @fbd1

zopm,
    The costs all depends on where you are…

Working it yourself will cost your labour in finding other deals, so it all comes down to what you want to achieve…

I work it into my numbers at the number crunching time so I don’t have to do the labour myself. If I were to do the labour, I wouldn’t be able to do as many deals (and I probably wouldn’t have found the deals in the first place because I was busy doing the reno).

I guess it depends on what you want to achieve, what your goals are & how soon you want to achieve them…
    Good luck,[happy3]
    dianne burns

Profile photo of freeman cooperfreeman cooper
    @freeman-cooper

zopm,

I am in the process of renovating a house and building a unit. I found that the labour componant is between 50 and 60%. I had a property maintenance business for a few years so I am contracting myself out to the builder to do the tiling, painting, erect the steel frame, hang plaster, landscape and whatever I can do which is reducing my labour componant to about 25-30%. I’m happy and the bank is happy.
    If I have never attempted anything I’ll get educated and try it. The saving can be significant. Over the two projects I am doing at the moment I estimate to save about 70-80 thousand dollars.
    Hope this helps some

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.