All Topics / Value Adding / Anyone need painting advice?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Profile photo of freeman cooperfreeman cooper
    @freeman-cooper

Hi Guys,

I had a painting property maintenance business for several years and want to know if anyone wants advice on painting?

Regards
    Frank

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

Do you reckon you could write up some tips on a word processor and let propertyinvesting.com know, so that you may be able to have the information on the site somewhere for people do read and download.

Just a suggestion, btw I would like some tips, thats just a means to get it to everyone(in the future aswell).

Christopher.

Profile photo of freeman cooperfreeman cooper
    @freeman-cooper

Hi Christopher,

Mate, that sounds like a great idea.
    I have tought groups of people how to paint but I am a bit clueless as to how I do that.
    Can you please guide me,
    It does sound like a great idea.
    I recently came across a man who had a house painted 1 year ago and the painter used ceiling paint on the walls and it has just marked and stained and looks like a 5 year old paint job from a house with 5 kids and a dog.
    He is now repainting at a huge unnecesary cost.
    Simple tips and questions to ask a painter can avoid these things happening.
    I look forward to your reply.
    Regards
    Frank

Participant
    @draconisv

Well I don’t really know, your the painter. I’m just a HSC student who loves investment property and is interested in some tips in painting.
    I can’t really help with the write up of the (we’ll call it the) guide.

You could do a search on the net, for like FAQS about painting and address them.(maybe creatively).

Christopher.

@freeman-cooper

Hi Christopher,
    Maybe I did’nt explain myself properly in my reply,
    I know all the data, pit falls, tips. FAQ etc and I also know how to type, I just don,t know where to post all that info.
    Any suggestions?
    Regards
    Frank

Participant
    @draconisv

PM one of the mods. I think they will be able to help you with that.

Christopher.

Profile photo of siraitkensiraitken
    Participant
    @siraitken

Frank,

Glad to hear your willing to help everyone with painting tips, etc.
    The easiest way to go will probs be to post it somewhere on the internet and then put the link into this post.

Im sure someone of this forum will have internet space where they could post your word file and then dispaly the link.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

Profile photo of viralkviralk
    @viralk

Thanks Frank,

I am in the process to get painting done on one of my IP. It is an investment property so do not want to spend fortune. What are things I should keep in mind so house looks really good and it does not cost me lot of money.

your reply would be highly appreciated Frank. regards viral

Viral Kanabar
    http://www.maxtax.com.au

@freeman-cooper

Hey thanks guys, good advice regarding info page on a web site.

Viral,
    There is a belief that if you have an investment property you should skimp on paint and that you will save.
    I have painted a few IP’s in my time and I normaly use the best most durable paint I can buy. It normaly costs about $180 more to paint an apartment using top quality paint compared to the cheapest.
    I also found that when comparing quotes ask how many coats, type of paint, guarantee, what sort of preparation they will do. This forces the painter to be more vigilant and shows that you are looking. It’s also a good idea to let them know what sort of finish you expect to see, this reduces any suprises.
    If you are willing to try yourself you might want to consider buying the materials yourself and hire the painter for day to teach you how to paint, I have done this with a church group, individuals and a group of unemployed work for the dole participants.
    Hope this helps.

Regards
    Frank

Profile photo of casscocassco
    Participant
    @cassco

I am a painter in Melbourne who will do you a good deal if it aint to far that is unless I can stay there.I am in the western suburbs.0403 262 953.My name is Chris.Cheers

@viralk

thank you guys. Chris, property is in queensland.

Frank, I have a guy who does the signage for shops etc will do this job. I will be helping hand to him. How many coates do you think is good enough. Also could you please specify what preparation we should do and type of paint we should buy etc? please provide some very specific information which could be usefule for the person like me who has never done this job before or never got it done from anyone ever. I really appreciate help in this regards.

Regards

Viral Kanabar

@freeman-cooper

Hi Viral,

If the surface has’nt been painted for a while (10-15 years ) you may need to use a primer undercoat plus 2 top coats.
    A good tip is to wash the walls if they are dirty. Today I have been painting a house that has lots of marks from a dog. I washed off as much as I could to maximise the efectiveness of the paint. Use the best paint you are happy to pay for. I normaly use Haymes or Wattle. If you buy it in 20lt and you can show you have a business you can get up to 33% off. Today I paid $133 for 20lt of Haymes Low sheen 100% acrylic ultra premium.
    If it is interior use low sheen acrylic. Use a 10 or 12 mm roller nap. The trims are always good to do in an enamel paint, satin or gloss, what ever you prefer.
    Start by painting all the edges with a paint brush then using the roller, only paint 1sq mt at a time, no more as this will thin the layer of paint, keep painting until you reach the end. I generally start at the right top of the wall and work across painting the top half then back to the bottom right and work my way to the left.
    Hope that helped you.
    Bunnings have a fair bit of free how to booklets that will show you diagrams. I may in the future make a how to paint video.
    Regards
    Frank

Participant
    @draconisv

Excellent tips there freeman.
    Thats a good idea a video.

@viralk

that’s great tips. I appreciate that Frank. I think website would be the best idea. You may be able to make some money out of it too. (start a franchise?) just a thought. regards viral

Viral Kanabar

Profile photo of LeilaLeila
    @leila

Frank,

My house has really elaborate (large!!) ceiling roses that take up about half the ceiling, and wide decorative cornices. Any tips on the quickest and easiest way to paint these and get a good finish?

Thanks,

Leila
    [biggrin]

@freeman-cooper

Hi Leila,

My dear old father had similar rosets.
    The only advice I could give you is do what he did and what Michael Angelo did, slowly and patiantly.
    Unfortunately unless you can take the roses down you need to put in the hard yards.
    I’m sure it will look great. My dads roset took up most of the ceiling as well. It took ages to paint but was a feature and everyone would comment about it.
    Sorry I can’t give you a magic solution.

Hey Viral,
    Just happy to give something for free.

Regards
    Frank

Participant
    @draconisv

Hmm, talking about rosets on the ceilings. They are like the feature of the ceiling. Hmm, what are some cheap buy effective feature painting tips. Like walls or ceilings.

Profile photo of LeilaLeila
    @leila

Thanks Frank,
    Had a feeling you might say that. Guess I’ll be putting in the hard labour! Might get a scaffold to make it easier with the high ceilings.

I love the rosets and definitely wouldn’t get rid of them, just really wish previous owner of house hadn’t painted them green. But, then again, it’s probably one of the reasons we got it for such a good price.

Have a great day!
    Leila
    [biggrin]

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Frank

What is the difference between paint for the wall and paint for the ceiling.

I’m ashamed to say I didn’t know that there was a difference. [blush2]

Don’t worry, I haven’t done any painting personally for years.

Thanks [smiling]
    Elka

@freeman-cooper

Hi Elka,
    The differance between ceiling paint ( or flat paint ) and wall paint ( or usually low sheen ) is a lot.
    Without going into the science of paint and boring you, imagine this if you can- a cross section of Ceiling paint under a microscope has sharp pointy spikes. That is why if you rub your hand over ceiling paint it is like a shalk board. Because of this it is easier to mark, harder to clean, leaves water marks when you do clean it, has no shine and is porous- this is especially bad if used in a bathroom or kitchen. Ceiling paint normally has little latex in it and medioc ingredients. This is because you normally don’t dirty the ceiling like you do the walls. This is also why it is cheaper.
    On the other hand wall paint or low sheen has a lot6 more latex and acrylic in it. A cross section under a microscope has smoother curves, therefor the shinier the paint the lower and smoother the curves. It is easier to keep clean, and if you buy a top quality 100% acrylic ultra premium you would have no problem scrubing it which could be the differance between a paint job lasting 5 years or 10 years.
    I once went to paint a house for a family that had painted it 3 years earlier. Before I started I scrubed all the marks of the walls and several walls did not need to be painted saving literaly hundreds.
    In wet areas it is a good idea to use a satin finish because this is less porous and easier to clean.
    Hope this helps
    regards
    Frank

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.